Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Badis badis

Feedback Score

Badis badis

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    This is a nice little fish I have been trying to find for some time. I was able to pick 3 @ $10. Regular variety. Real nice folks at the LFS allowed me to hand select 1M/2F. I'll effort some pics.
    David

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Cool. Treat 'em like dwarf cichlids and you'll be golden.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Badis Badis

Anybody can tell me where to find a pair of Badis Badis in Singapore LFS? I can only find male and wanted a female.... Also do they sell other breed too.. the blue ones...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Badis badis

Yup, this is a very nice fish. Small and not shy. And the males fighting against each other is a joy to watch. But don't worry, there won't be any casualties. But it needs live food though.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Bro, have you seen any LFS recently selling them? If yes, could you advise me where to buy them? thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I bought mine at c328, clementi florist at 10 for $8 in a packet. Seems like all males. But today I observed a pair that doesn't not seem to be fighting, but rather intertwined each other in a ball-like fashion for about 2 secs. Is that mating?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

same, I got my from C328 too... however from the www search, female is very plaint and no color strips.... and that you mentioned on intertwined for 2 secs.. they could be "homo" ... just kidding....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just took a picture of the pair doing the 'ball' thing. I've separated them to a 1 feet tank with shrimps btw. And here is the 'female' in question ???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Balling is mating.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks. That's what I thought so too. Hopefully, they can breed. But the female looks too colorful to be one. Anyway, I'm not sure how a female should look like. But the internet says it should be plain and dull brownish...hmmm

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Biotope and WuHu has them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Does anyone know where i can buy male and female Badis Badis Badis and also some Dario Darios ???? I am in the USA, in New York. I am looking for some interesting additions for my tanks. I would like to try to breeding these fish also. I dont do it for the money as most of you now unless you have a warehouse with a few hunderd tanks you arent making money here in the us breeding fish . I do it for the fun and to trade for supplies in the end. I hope I can find them. Not many stores know what I am even talking about when I ask. Thanks all ,

Tom,
    Last edited by islandangels; 24th Oct 2009 at 11:19. Reason: Added to thread

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Tom,

Bring an aquarium book with pictures of Badis badis and Dario dario. Show it to the shop people and they should know what you want. I figure the same issue with clueless staff plagues both Singapore and the USA. Many times shop people do not know or remember scientific names of fishes. What helps is pictures and maybe a common trade name.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Thanks Storm. I did that last week. Most of them just scratched their heads. Hahaha. I'll keep trying the net. Im patient. Thanks again.

Tom,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Or you can try Aquabid. That's an auction site based in the US. If you're lucky, there's suppliers within the US that may be able to ship to your location via Express/Priority Mail.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Thanks again Storm. Youve been very helpful.

Tom,

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

islandangels - I am in Iowa, USA, if you still need Badis badis. I've never shipped before, but I'm sure I could figure it out. I have 16 juvies now.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPlantLady View Post
    islandangels - I am in Iowa, USA, if you still need Badis badis. I've never shipped before, but I'm sure I could figure it out. I have 16 juvies now.
    Fast the fishes for a day, pack in breather bags with just a tint of methylene blue and ship express. Darios & badis are tough little fishes and if clown killies can survive the trip from SG to the UK, the badis surely will make it.

Tom, just remember that the darios do not spawn like cichlids in little caves or shells but are egg scatterers. A bare-bottomed tank with lots of moss for refuge and micro-organisms, ensures the highest fry yield. Be very prepared for breeding because the fry grow-out is very slow and will need micro foods for a long time.

Easy to breed but are picky eaters, preferring mostly live-foods. Had more than 300 of these darios when I finally decommissioned the tank.

Good luck to you both and keep the rest of us posted!
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Hi Crazy,
    I hope I'm not too late ? I have been away for the past 10 days. I have never shipped before either. But it looks like we have someone who has. Thanks for the info RonWill. I am in New York on Long Island. Please let me know if you still have babies left. I would like to try breeding them so I would like a few so I hopefully get a few males and females. See what it would cost for you to ship them and let me know how much you would like for them. I am sure we can work something out. I'm glad you replied to me.. If you would like you can email me if that is easier for you. Hope to hear from you soon. You can use this address to contact me. [email protected].

Tom,
    Last edited by islandangels; 29th Nov 2009 at 09:19. Reason: Adding to

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Tom, when I stopped breeding the scarlets (or Dario dario), I didn't keep a single fish.

It's also been ages since I dared venture into a LFS because I seldom leave empty handed but I'll ask around and see. Perhaps Stormhawk might know.

I'm fairly confident of shipping but if "Islandangels" has 'em, the scarlets will survive shipping even better, although now may not be the best time (in case of cold snaps)... probably late Spring.

While you're waiting, I'll wet your appetite... read this (Choy has taken nice pics of both sexes), this (breeding 'em) and this.

Are you drooling yet?....
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast