Images
    Country
    Singapore

What is 'Dutch' Style?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Always heard people mentioning 'Dutch' style.
    What are the characteristics?

Feedback Score
    THink, GArden planting style. Like, tall plants at the background, middle sized plants in the middle, short foreground plants, in the foreground, kinda like what a garden would look like, not exactly like a biotope.
    Have a look at the "my tanks" section. i believe jacians tanks are dutch style, and yea, theres alot of depth too, in dutch style, meaning, there is like, high, low, depth in certain areas.
    you'll get it when you look at one.
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Read this

Read this too

And do your own searches using the search box on the top right hand corner!
    Another quality, non aquatic-related post from mrs budak!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    For example of Dutch style in Spore, actually its' everywhere ard u, HDB parks, roadside.. etc.. nowadays everywhere in spore, if u notice start to hv alot of species plants tat r arrange under Dutch style.

So I presume, that Spore aquarist can learn frm that area alot .
    Don't bother if its Black cats or White cats, so long as it can catch Rats. Its a Good Cat.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Urgh!!! I hate this style of plant-scaping – the same old Draceanas, bouganvilleas, palms, spider lilies, dumbcanes, heliconias and hedge plants. There's a particular name for it (can't remember) but it's dreadfully formulaic and makes every roadside scene and estate look exactly the same. Tropical landscaping by control freaks, it is.

----------------
    On 1/26/2003 11:47:42 PM

For example of Dutch style in Spore, actually its' everywhere ard u, HDB parks, roadside.. etc.. nowadays everywhere in spore, if u notice start to hv alot of species plants tat r arrange under Dutch style.

So I presume, that Spore aquarist can learn frm that area alot .
    ----------------

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 1/27/2003 12:48:17 PM

Urgh!!! I hate this style of plant-scaping – the same old Draceanas, bouganvilleas, palms, spider lilies, dumbcanes, heliconias and hedge plants. There's a particular name for it (can't remember) but it's dreadfully formulaic and makes every roadside scene and estate look exactly the same. Tropical landscaping by control freaks, it is.

----------------
    But it sure beats the hell out of concrete buildings like Melbourne city! Everything is like in a grid lock manner, and there's hardly any shade of green around, i can't even begin to imagine how New York is like!
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yah, plants have softening effect on the surrounding. Many foreigners I came accross are often amaze by our plants for the first few weeks. After that, it is a bit common feeling.

I guess the landscaping is a bit too stiff. It does not evolves at all for many years.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/27/2003 1:16:26 PM

But it sure beats the hell out of concrete buildings like Melbourne city! Everything is like in a grid lock manner, and there's hardly any shade of green around, i can't even begin to imagine how New York is like!

----------------
    Yeah, but in Melbourne, and many large countries, natural and much more breath-taking landscapes are usually half an hour to a few hours drive away.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/26/2003 10:38:36 PM

Always heard people mentioning 'Dutch' style.
    What are the characteristics?
    ----------------
    A good example: http://www.ntnu.no/~foksen/
    More info: Secrets to Dutch Aquascaping
    Dutch aquariums requires a lot of discipline and time spent on trimming.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This is something very unfair. Ang-Mo's countries are not always but often have good greens, woods and highlands around them.

The 4 seasons help too; I always say to my German friends/colleagues, unlike tropical countries, the 4 seasons make the surrounding alive. With each season turns, the plants and landscapes change along.

I was in Konstanz, south-most Germany, in 1997, from beginning of Spring to end Autumn. It is the town where 3 countries meet, the other 2 are Austria and Switzerland. All 3 share the same biggest lake in Europe, Bodensee or "Lake of Konstanz". At end-Spring, I got a bit bored by the past few weeks' bad weathers, I took a one-day bus trip (DM34) to south-most Switzerland. The bus ride brought me across the country where I was greeted with countless rivers, mountains, tunnels, cows, mountain houses, villages, cities, etc. Beleive me, the veiws are breath taking. I was so excited (literaly breath-less) that I took picture non-stop for nearly 15 minutes before I realised that I was out of tune in the bus. I began to see old people around me who sit quietly, leisurely enjoying the scene (I was told later that bus trip is patronised by oldies only, young ones go on their own). The single way journey takes about 3.5 hrs only (small country) but full of thrills. The high gorgeous mountains and graceful rivers...no words can fairly praise them.

During Summer time, I often walk or cycle around the lake where the paths are very flat. Since the days are long, there is no hurry. Along the lake, I could already enjoy the Swiss/Austria alps during clear weather. Or get a DM1 (S$0.86) cone ice-cream and stroll in the Alt Stad or "old town" which has many century old houses. When weather got too hot, I went into the woods to seek chills and fresh air. There are alot of festival too, all promoting drinking, but I enjoyed the wine there. One of the town along the lake is also the place where the Zeppelin airship was first built. There is a nice museum for it. The mars' landing vehicle was built there too (not by the American).

I like particularly the autumn when all leafs turn yellow, brown, golden, pink in the wild land, the forest and the highlands. However, due to the warm lake (heated during Summer), the whole town was foggy. It is like the town is boiling, no joke. Crossing even a narrow street can be dangerous as the vision is not further than 15 metres. So, I head up to the Austria's mountain, north-west of the lake. I reached the foot of the mountain with a friend by bus and walked up to the summit. At the mountain's mid, we sat to rest and was greeted by strangers who would always say "give my regards to God". As we approached the summit, the fog gets cleared too, staying below our feet. That's was a great feeling after weeks of blur vision which can be quite mentaly stressful.

Ok, I should stop here, I was drifting too far.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Singapore also got 4 seasons. They are:

1. Hot
    2. Hotter
    3. Hottest
    4. Hot and Rainy

Feedback Score
    Vinz: True, but i guess sinagpore dosent have the luxury of space to have giant landscapes, like Germany, switz, and such countries.

Nicky: haha yea i agree, i believe the season now is "Hotter"
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    [off-topic]

FC: Maybe it's just that the grass looks greener on the other side. Who knows? Maybe the Ang-Mos are yearning to see what a tropical rainforest is like.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    [Still off-topic]
    Until they discover commando trained mosquitos that ignore mosquito coil fumes and can bite through thick army uniforms... []
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I knew of some friends who love our weather here, they hate winter.

theres another who came recently and faascinated with our monsoon rainstorm, he never seen anything like it before, even took some shots on his video,heheheh
    [] []
    ...I love rubies too ...
    Ken

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/29/2003 4:29:35 PM

[Still off-topic]
    Until they discover commando trained mosquitos that ignore mosquito coil fumes and can bite through thick army uniforms... []
    ----------------
    [yes we're still off topic]

Always remember on Ubin, a friend of mine sprayed repellent on his arm, and the next moment (under 5 secs) a mosquito landed on the sprayed spot and started to suck blood... []
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    [still off-topic]
    Yes, they like the tropical weather but only those with coconut trees, nice beaches, clear water, drinks ...

Not criticizing S'pore, infact, I am a willing stayer. After travelling quite a bit, I think we have all the convenients that no countries can match. We have enough good LFS at reasonable price for nearly all things. Eheim in Australia/New Zealand selling at 50% higher than here and not easy to get one! Planted tank, buy plant, CO2? Many shops' owners (I managed to find only 2 good ones in whole Auckland but still no eqpt for planted tank) would say:"we do not have buyers here, too expensive a hobby".

They have good natures but also mostly bad weathers. Hm...that's is getting fairer...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    [still very off-topic]

Vinz/Allen,
    Yes, I can also remember the days where a sting by those Tekong trained mosqitoes that will make you jump up and leave a red patch on your body! Yeee...[] [] [] And those that are Armour trained ones in Sungei Gedong!