Set up on 1 Jan 2003.

Tank Dimensions (LxWxH): 36 x 16 X 16 inch
    Lighting Intensity(No of Watts) : 144W, 4-5 hours a day
    Type of Lighting (FL/PL/MH) :4 X 36W PL
    CO2 Injection Rate (bps) : 2-3bps
    Type of CO2 (DIY/Liquid/Tank) : Tank
    Substrate Used : 15kg Lonestar, 20L JBL Aquabasis
    Liquid Fertilizers Used : Seachem Florish
    Frequency of fertilization : 0.2ml every 2-3 days, a pinch of K2SO4 every 2 days
    Tank Temperature : 28-30 degree celsius
    Type of Filter (overhead/internal/canister) : Ehiem 2224 and 2213

Plants:
    Echinodorus tenellus, Echinodorus "Oriental", Echinodorus "ozelot", Echinodorus "rubin", Echinodorus sp. (grandiflorus/cordiflolius/scaber???),Aponogeton longiplumulosus , Aponogeton undulatus,Vesicularia dubyana,Vesicularia sp., Rotala macrantha, Hydrocotyle leucopetala,Ceratophyllum demersum, Cyperus helferi,Elatine triandra, Limnobium stoloniferum, Nymphaea sp.( rubra?), Heteranthera zosterifolia, Nymphaea micanthra , Micranthermum micrathemoides, Eusteralis stellata,Gratiola sp, Blyxa japonica, Nymphodies indiea and the usual algae species.

Fishes:
    Hemigrammus erythrozonus,Hemigrammus bleheri,Boehlkea fredcochui,Nannostomus anomalus,Nannostomus eques, Acanthophthalmus kuhli, Corydorus pygmaeus, Corydorus paleatus,Corydorus rabauti,Corydorus aeneus var.Venezuela, Corydorus panda, Xiphophorus maculatus, Xiphophorus variatus, Pterophyllum scalare scalare var., Botia lohachata.

Other: Malayan and yamato shrimps...Malaysian trumpet and flower snails.
    Uniting all Guppy lovers

Guppy Club, Singapore

Feedback Score
    Nice! ya just gotta love that lotus.
    like the "umbrella shaped" plants that "pops" out. can see your background plant havent grow yet, hehe, i'm sure it'd look better when it gets taller
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Chris, sorry I can't see your pictures.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Chris,

I shall give some constructive comments though they are personal opinions. i think that there are many unique plants in your nice tank, but because of that, there becomes a lack of focus, because many plants are eye catching. the gigantic E.Osiris, and the lily fights for attention and when your E. Oriental grows, it would similarly capture some focus.

Juz my 2 cents worth
    checkerboard
    ----------------------------

do not do to others what you will not want done to you!

be kind! =)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Chris,
    Can explain for the short lighting period? My best guess is the tank is receiving sunlight during the day (am I rite?). If not, I think it is way too little.

Juz an observation.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/29/2003 12:42:29 PM

Hi Chris,

I shall give some constructive comments though they are personal opinions. i think that there are many unique plants in your nice tank, but because of that, there becomes a lack of focus, because many plants are eye catching. the gigantic E.Osiris, and the lily fights for attention and when your E. Oriental grows, it would similarly capture some focus.

Juz my 2 cents worth
    checkerboard
    ----------------
    Personally, I also have similar feeling.
    Maybe you can reduce the major plants or make some of them as background. Eg. the few Echinodorus can be grouped together at the back or a corner? One Echinodorus in the middle is already blocking the plant at the background. It's better practise to have less groupings of more bunched plants than more groupings of few plants.
    But plants seem to be in good health. Cheers!
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Aside from the aquascape itself, your color balance looks off... your entire tank looks very yellow... as if the white balance in the shot is off...
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Checkerboard:
    I totally agree with you regarding the lack of focus... it had reached a point that I am looking at the tank in parts instead of the whole tank.[]
    Personally, I feel that the 4-colour lotus spoils the whole effect; it grew too fast! (maybe due to Root Monsters...) But I am reluctant to trim off the leaves cos each leave is a potential plantlet...
    One area that I had neglected too is the potential size of the plants...
    The oriental looks right in place at this point in time, due its slow growth rate, I think I leave it there first.

Wks:
    I am not very sure why the pics did not show up, perhaps you can view it on another day.

Sherchoo:
    My tank is in the balcony and it receives indirect sunlight and the plants are approaching their bedtime when it is lights-on time... Also, I am currently facing an algae outbreak, partly due to the initial lack of algae eaters. Hopefully the algae will be reduced after CNY...

Juggler:
    The echinodorus plants are in the middle-back of the tank but I added the stem plants to reduce the current from the reactor. I will shift them to the left side, in place of the smaller ozelot there, minus the rotala macrantha. Maybe this will look better. [] Thank you for your advice. BTW, great thanks for the oriental too.[]

Allen_1971:
    I think the water is either stained by the driftwood or due to the lights. The symbols on the camera is a bit confusing to me.
    I am facing a BBA outbreak so practically every leaf has BBA on it.[]...also green algae too.
    Currently having about 20 yamatoes and 80+ malayans working on this problem... Hopefully the pencilfishes and 1 CAE will help too.

Thanks to all for your constructive feedback. [] [] [] I'll post some pics again when I got my hands on a digital camera.
    Btw, can anyone ID the big plant,in the foreground, at the left of the tank. It gets bruised easily, new leaves are a bit pinkish... Can be found at the taiwan shop at Serangoon North.
    Uniting all Guppy lovers

Guppy Club, Singapore

Feedback Score
    CAE --> BAD FISHY beri beri bad fishy
    SAE --> GOOD fishy good good fishy
    here fishy fish fishy . here shirmpy shirmpy here is my noobie tank(3wk)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Chris,

I am not really good in aquascape but you have nice plants.

"Liquid Fertilizers Used : Seachem Florish
    Frequency of fertilization : 0.2ml every 2-3 days, a pinch of K2SO4 every 2 days"

I can see why you have BBA. Need not remove them, leave them alone. You got to get rid of the excess nutrients (I think it is Phosphate/PO4 and may be also NO3)by:
    - for the next 2 weeks, change water 25% every 4-5 days.
    - your tank's water volume is about 110 litres. Your fert routine is under-powered. After each change (apply also for future) add 1 to 2ml Flourish twice a week. Add about 3g of K2SO4 once a week (more effective than splitting into days). With lighting period of about 10 hrs, these ferts will help the tank to improve the intake of the PO4 and NO3, boosting your plants' health. Then, about 2-3 weeks later, the BBA will disappear.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Chia2K:
    I find the CAE quite good in clearing the algae on the sides of th tank and it does not attempt to eat fish food or attack me. But SAE is a much better algae eater.

FC:
    I think the problem is what you mentioned... due to phosphate and nitrate. I added the fishes, right after setting up the tank,despite knowing it is a no-no.

I will use your method to solve my algae woes...plus the trimming off the older leaves.

Thanks.

Uniting all Guppy lovers

Guppy Club, Singapore

Feedback Score
    It moves along all the surfaces of the tank scraping green algae with its suckermouth. Older specimens prefer artificial foods and are rather aggressive. Young Chinese Algae Eaters can be kept in community, but adult specimens can be aggressive to other fish. They most often attack slow-swimming, flat-bodied fish and shouldn't be kept with them.
    here fishy fish fishy . here shirmpy shirmpy here is my noobie tank(3wk)