Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Native mosses

Feedback Score

Native mosses

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I would like to know witch aquatic mosses are native to Europe and where do they often grow because I'm planning to go for a little moss hunting soon...
    I know I can find Fontinalis antipyretica here ih Croatia but I'm wondering if I can find Fontinalis antipyretica "giant" or any other mosses... Can you help me?

Feedback Score
    Here's some list...These live in Finland, I don't know how about Croatia.

Mosses
    Fontinalis antipyretica
    Fontinalis dalecarlica
    Fissidens fontanus (rare)
    Amblystegium serpens
    Leptidictium riparium
    Warnstorfia trichophylla
    Calliergon cordifolium

Liverworts
    Riccia fluitans

Feedback Score
    How do Leptidictium riparium, Warnstorfia trichophylla, Calliergon cordifolium look like?

Feedback Score
    They all grow towards the surface.
    Leptidictium riparium - Second pick in here (I spelt the name wrongly in hurry...)
    Warnstorfia trichophylla -Leaves are like small needles. Long but very thin.
    Calliergon cordifolium - leaves look like small arrow heads.

Feedback Score
    Thanks!
    Do you know if Fontinalis antipyretica var. gigantea is native to Europe?

Come on people, I'm sure you know something, why are everybody so quiet?
    What about Mosses and the man who love them topic, the last one was long time ago... There are no any new posts at this forum... why?

Feedback Score
    F. antipyretica var. gigantea seems to grow only at the British Isles.
    http://zipcodezoo.com/Plants/F/Fonti...a_gigantea.asp

Most of the people here are not from Europe, mostly from Singapore etc.
    I think Dr. Benito Tan has gone working to the botanic gardeners or something, that's why there has been no Mosses and the man who love them -topics lately. I think Loh K L can tell us more about him.

Feedback Score
    I know most of the people here are not from Europe but some of people here are working with mosses and i believe they have some books or some other literature...

Feedback Score
    Just a heads up. I believe that all Satu's (rain-'s) old pictures of stringy moss lipararium riparaium (yes I killed the spelling) are actually "Nano moss"(latin?)

You may want to ask here which it is. I know she thought she had stringy but it was really nano, then I believe she got some stringy as well...

Regards,
    -Andrew

Edit never mind... I just looked at the first picture. And since I don't speak those languages that aren't English at first I didn't try to read it.. and she clearly says this is stringy moss and this is nano moss...

Hi,
    Fontinalis antipyretica var. gigantea is also native to central Europe. It can be found for example in northern Germany. See an old thread of mine about it: http://www.killies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2728.

regards

Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Italy
    Hi Mars,
    I do not know exactly in Croatia (nor where in Croatia) because I am from Italy, but I can give you two advises.

The first one is to go to this site:
    http://dbiodbs.univ.trieste.it/global/mosses1

then start a serch for Region: Veneto and for Humidity: between 7 and 9

Veneto is the region in Italy confining with Slovenija and closest to Croatia.
    The two humidities above group togheter the water loving mosses.

Then you view from the results which mosses are presents.

Then you can look for their pictures over the internet (in google images for example).

Second suggestion:

Try to contact the Bryological association of South East Europe (BASEE) at this address:
    http://www.bryo-see.org.yu/
    and in particular Marko S. Sabovljevic

Regards,

Fabrizio.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The professor is busy with his new job at the Singapore Botanic Gardens. A couple of months ago, he slipped and fell whilst walking around the gardens. As a result, he fractured one of his legs and is now walking around with the help of crutches. He's also in the midst of moving house.

A week or so ago, I brought some mosses to him and we had an exciting time looking at them. Among the mosses, he discovered that one was actually a fern gametophyte. He's not sure what fern it is but it's unlike the other fern gametophyte we know, the one we call Loma's fern. The fern gametophyte we examined the other day actually throw out real leaves.

The professor also examined a new liverwort that is being cultivated by Bioplast fish shop. It looks like Mini-Pellia (Riccardia graeffei) but it's not the same. We know it was collected from somewhere in Singapore but the professor couldn't be sure of its identity. He sent the liverwort to a fellow-bryologist in Japan. I hope he can give us the scientific name as this liverwort is very lovely. I'm sure, in the days to come, it will prove to be very popular with hobbyists everywhere.

I'll see if I can post some pictures later. I'm having problems with the computer at home and we're in the midst of a flux - Killies.com is currently hosted by the server at aquaticquotient.com. We're supposed to merge into one but it looks like little is being done. My guess is the people who are supposed to merge us are busy with their work.

I'm glad to see posts from Fabry and Robert. I'm delighted they still hang around here. I confess I've not been very active myself lately. This is because I'm suffering from burnt-out. I still have a great interest in mosses and liverworts but after 5 years of running this forum, I just need a break, that's all.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys! I knew you know something!!

I found about 10 interesting mosses and now I try to grow them under water... I'm specially interested in one of them that looks like star moss and it does well in water... I've noticed that it can't live without wather, so if it is it without water for a day it dries up.
    This is how it looks like:

I hope it will grow submered

Feedback Score
    Beutifull moss, somehow it looks familiar. I'll check my book about finnish mosses..

Edit: Your moss looks like Syntrichia ruralis.

Feedback Score
    Thanks G.rosea, it looks like Syntrichia ruralis to me to... Now i have to find if it can be grown submered...

PS: you need to do something interesting to wake up this forum like contest for the nicest moss photo or something...

Marsel P.

Feedback Score
    Nice moss. It looks like the real 'star moss' Syntrichia ruralis but if that is so than it is not aquatic. It would be interesting to see if it grows submerged. Please let us know.

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately it can't be grown submerged...

Feedback Score
    Last week I was walking along pond shore and i saw some nice big driftwood in the pond, when I looked closer i saw some moss growing on it. Normaly I took some. I found on the Internet that the mos I have is Leptodictyum riparium... I'm so happy !!!! It's growing very nice, and fast..

I found two more mosses but I'm not sure they are aquatic, I'll let you know...

Feedback Score
    Any pics? Leptodictyum riparium is a really nice moss, grows like...

Feedback Score
    Last few days it was raining a lot here so i decide to go moss hunting in my garden and gues what, I found FISSIDENS !!!
    It's has very nice small, bright green leaves. Now I'm trying to grow it emersed. I don't know witch Fissidens is ti can you help me:
    Witch Fissidens are native to my country? ( Croatia)
    Can all Fissidens be grow submersed ?
    What does it need to grow well emersed?

Feedback Score
    Looks something like this:

http://www.bryologie.uni-bonn.de/Arb...icus%202_2.JPG
    A lots of tiny leaves

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast