Country
    Singapore

A Guide to the Mosses of Singapore

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, folks,

I don't know if it's already available in the book shops but Professor Benito Tan's latest book is out. He gave me a copy 2 days ago. Here's a picture:

Unlike previous such guide books, this one is not sponsored by BP so I don't know if you can find it in the petrol stations. But if you're a moss lover, it's a must-have book. There are many mosses described and all are accompanied by pictures. Best of all, there's also a chapter listing the places in Singapore where the various mosses can be found.

Some of the aquarium mosses we grow in our tanks are described in the book - the Vesicularia dubyana, Vesicularia montagnei and Vesicularia reticulata. On pages 19 and 97, the pictures showing V. dubyana were accredited to me but the professor made a mistake. These 2 pictures were taken by Gan C W and they were pictures of his tank. I don't know how things can be put right but I'm sure Gan would understand.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    KL,
    This is good news for moss lover. As for the photos, it is not your fault. Just inform prof so it can be corrected in the next reprint.
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score
    Its a must have book, but not available from Amazon.com. Where can we buy it from?

I can just see on the cover that it's published by Science Centre Singapore. Is it available from them because i can't find anything related to books on their website?

thanks

regards
    Stephan
    Malta

Feedback Score
    Hi KL,

Can you please ask the professor if and where can we buy this book from?

thanks
    Stephan

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, Stephan,

The professor does not know where or when the guide book will be out for sale. He's just the writer, you see. The sale of the book is handled by the publisher, in this case, the Singapore Science Centre. I haven't checked the book stores but I suspect the book isn't out for sale yet. The professor has 50 complimentary copies and he gave me one. That's how I got mine.

Honestly, even when the book is out, I don't think it will be available on amazon.com. Not for a long while, anyway.

I hesitate to make this offer but in your case, Stephan, I'll buy a copy of the book when it's out and send it to you. I can't do this for all the moss lovers who don't live in Singapore, of course or else I'll go broke. But in your case, I'll do it because I know you're one serious moss-person.

Anyone else who thinks he qualifies to be defined as a serious moss-person can try asking me to send him the book too. I'll judge each request on a case-to-case basis.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    KL, You are one of the most generous people I have the honour to know. I cannot imagine how many moss samples you have posted to people including myself at your own expense. I think I have benefitted enough from your generosity. In this case I would rather send you the money for the book when the book is out and if it is not available online. I hope that is ok with you.

best regards
    Stephan

Feedback Score
    That is one neat looking book.

Loh, when it is available please let me know You have paypal right? I'll gladly pay whatever it is with shipping .

I've been busy with school but hope to post more in future weeks.

-Andrew