Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Native moss species in China

Feedback Score

Native moss species in China

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, everybody. I'm a new comer from china. Sadly, in china, there's no such a specialized forum on mosses. This is my first post and I introduce several native species in china. I propagate them and share with enthusiasts. I will post surplus to anyone like them for free.

similar to erect moss, but much more slim

looks like rosette

looks like bedraggled hair

zoom in

This species sticks to the drift wood tightly, and would cover the wood entirely.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dear LingLi,

Welcome to Killies.com!
    You have very nice mosses. May I know which province you are from (live in)?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fc
    Dear LingLi,

Welcome to Killies.com!
    You have very nice mosses. May I know which province you are from (live in)?
    I'm now living in shanghai, and plan to go abroad to USA for study next year.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Welcome to the forum, Lingli. I think you're our first member who's from China.

The plants you posted are very nice. It's hard to identify them from pictures but I'm quite sure the first one is Lomariopsis lineata which you may like to know is a fern gametophyte and not a moss. There's also at least one liverwort among the pictures you posted.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Welcome to the forum, Lingli. I think you're our first member who's from China.

The plants you posted are very nice. It's hard to identify them from pictures but I'm quite sure the first one is Lomariopsis lineata which you may like to know is a fern gametophyte and not a moss. There's also at least one liverwort among the pictures you posted.

Loh K L
    Thank you for your suggestion. Besides mosses, I collect liverworts as well. I major in Bioinformatics, so please forgive my limited knowledge on botanical taxonomy.

Feedback Score
    Welcome !!!
    Very nice mosses !!!! I really like the rossete one...
    Can you tell us what mosses do you keep and post pic of your tank, please

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars
    Welcome !!!
    Very nice mosses !!!! I really like the rossete one...
    Can you tell us what mosses do you keep and post pic of your tank, please
    Many thanks for your admiration. All species post above reside in my tank. They account for partial of my collection. Others includes most common species, flame, erect, willow, christmas, several triangle types, four kinds of fissiden and the like.

I established three tanks. 30cm, 45cm, 60cm respectively. But I found it's hard to figure out certain aquascape satisfying me well, so they are just a mass. Here is my tidiest tank, a 30cm cubic tank equipped with Eden 501, ceramic substrate, 2X11w PL light 10 hours per day, Tropica fertilizer.

Feedback Score
    WOW this tank will look great when the moss on the top of the wood grows- beautiful tree...
    Witch species of Fissidens do you have?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars
    WOW this tank will look great when the moss on the top of the wood grows- beautiful tree...
    Witch species of Fissidens do you have?
    U.S fissiden withered in summer, and now is in convalescence.

Other three are similar in shape and different in size.

untransformed

zoom in

Feedback Score
    I think the third moss could be Calliergon cordifolium

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Lingli,

Do you want your mosses and liverworts identified? If you can tell us where they were collected from, I'm sure the professor can come up with a positive identification. But you will have to send me samples as the professor won't identify a moss through pictures.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Lingli,

Do you want your mosses and liverworts identified? If you can tell us where they were collected from, I'm sure the professor can come up with a positive identification. But you will have to send me samples as the professor won't identify a moss through pictures.

Loh K L
    Im just an enthusiast, and raise them for fun. If certain species i have will be instrumental to professors' research Im really willing to share with them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Songlingli,

What you have could be plants that are new to our hobby. Even if you yourself aren’t interested in the identities, you should consider this – one day, the mosses and liverworts you have in your tank now could be widespread all over the world. Before the names get mixed up and confusion sets in, it would be worth the trouble finding out their identities.

I’m not sure if any of the species you have now would be, as you have said, instrumental to the professor’s research but we never know, you could very well have an undescribed species among the lot there. Here’s my address:

Loh Kwek Leong
    Block 104 Towner Road
    #08-324
    Singapore 322104

If you are willing to send the plants over, please pack each species separately in small plastic bags. Please seal the bags and label them accordingly. I need to know the locations where you collected the plants. I don’t need an exact location but if you can specify the province, it would be helpful.

Thanks. Let me know if you want something in return. I can send you Zipper Moss, Mini-Java, Taiwan Moss, Singapore Moss and/or Spiky Moss.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Songlingli,

What you have could be plants that are new to our hobby. Even if you yourself aren’t interested in the identities, you should consider this – one day, the mosses and liverworts you have in your tank now could be widespread all over the world. Before the names get mixed up and confusion sets in, it would be worth the trouble finding out their identities.

I’m not sure if any of the species you have now would be, as you have said, instrumental to the professor’s research but we never know, you could very well have an undescribed species among the lot there. Here’s my address:

Loh Kwek Leong
    Block 104 Towner Road
    #08-324
    Singapore 322104

If you are willing to send the plants over, please pack each species separately in small plastic bags. Please seal the bags and label them accordingly. I need to know the locations where you collected the plants. I don’t need an exact location but if you can specify the province, it would be helpful.

Thanks. Let me know if you want something in return. I can send you Zipper Moss, Mini-Java, Taiwan Moss, Singapore Moss and/or Spiky Moss.

Loh K L
    Dear Professor, I really appreciate your interest in my collections. I will sent samples to you no later than this weekend. I have no spare space in my tanks to hold any more mosses presently, but thank you for your kindness all the same. Within attached pic is the pack i sent to Singapore before, i pack mosses according to forum's instruction. Is this the right way?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by songlingli
    Dear Professor, I really appreciate your interest in my collections.
    Dear Songlingli,

I’m no professor. I wish I was one though. I’m just a hobbyist with a deep interest in aquarium mosses.

I will show your mosses to the professor when they arrive but it could take a while before I can set up an appointment with him.

Your packing of the mosses looks just fine. The professor can also read Chinese so your labels are just fine too.

Loh K L