Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Need a HC guide!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    need some help from fellow HC fans! throw in ur 2 cents worth. any information or anything. my HC looks thin.

thanks so much
    Best regards
    Roger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What kind of information would you like to be shared Roger? Personally I started my lawn via dry start method. The thinning of your leaves is very likely the submersed form as I've noticed when I added water in at the later stage.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I always failed in growing HC in my tank. It never acclimatise at all...slowly but surely die off.

My every other plants are growing like weeds, but never the HC.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It is been 1 month now and the hc I gotten are those that have been submerge in water for very long time.. I also would like to find out is there any available guide to this plant

My tank specs are:
    4ftx2x2
    4ft mh with 2x 150w 8k bulbs
    Running with 2x ehelm 2028.
    Running on 1/4hp chiller
    Co2 injection with 2bps
    Using Ada Amazonia 2 with jbj base fert
    Following Ada fertiliseration regime
    8hrs of lighting a day.
    Kh @ 4

Hope this info helps.
    Best regards
    Roger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I found quite a bit of information on Tom Barr's site.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My 1st HC try came with heavy losses and I have the survivors growing upwards. I currenly have a second batch waiting to be planted right now which I got directly from a farm.Was told by the farmer who happens to be a hobbist too that strong light and sufficient co2 would be ideal in a tank setup for "proper" growth. He also mentioned it would be difficult but not impossible to do so w/o co2.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Your CO2 seem to be in the low side. Did you use drop checker to check the CO2 ppm in your tank? Any other plant beside HC?
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I think your CO2 is not well distribute, for big tank like 4ft. Any pictures would be more helpful. Actually you dont need JBL base fert since you are using Aqua soil. Do you keep Amano/Yamato shrimp, they are always have a habit of uprooting HC. Try to add abit more of iron and potassium, it does helps in growing, you should be able to see some difference after adding. Btw how you distribute the CO2?

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi here are the picture of my tank hope it helps

Last edited by RogerGoh; 4th Apr 2009 at 21:25.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i have no other plants then HC.. wanna do iwagumi aquascape.
    pls advice. thank u guys. my drop check shows light green in color which i compare to the chart, it is the correct range.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    and guys. i have also met some problem lately.. it is cloudy water and i already turn off my uv steriliser. and there is no really bad sign of algae. hope my set up can help a little. here's a pic

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Roger,

Am not sure, but looking at the post count of 5 with joined date nov; are you relatively new to planted tanks ? If it is, HC + iwagumi setup is one of the hardest planted tanks to begin with. With and absence of fast growing plants + guppies/tetras which you have already added, you should or may have algae issues in the next couple of weeks. But then again since you have already gone ahead with the setup, just manage these issues if it arises as each tank is "unique", thus not necessary resulting in the same problems.

I have always worked with nano tanks, so i cant give correct advise on lighting. But you can refer to my aquascaping thread for your HC references. The only thing i havent updated is my new weekly dosing of NPK + trace regime using the new (LMM).

Feel free to post questions in my thread and i will respond accordingly.

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=45336

LMM = lazy man method

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi! Can we have a closer look of your setup of the internal CO2 reactor, from what i see, it is not distributing well at all, the positioning of the outlet flow is no good also.

The whole scape shouldnt give you problem on the grow of HC, you already have the best of everything to grow at this moment, i dont see why it cant grow, the only problem you have now is your CO2. “万事俱备,只欠东风"

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hmm.. i already change the two outlet flow to be blowing out towards the middle of the tank already. increase my co2 to 3bubbles per second.
    the HC dont look fat to me compared to what i see of others which is fat and healthy and have big leaves. i am not really new to planted tank but this iwagumi setup is my first.. i found this forum later.. cause have been sticking @ AF forums. how long does it take to fill up the whole tank with lawning?

best regards
    Roger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My educated guess is; this is a lighting problem. HC's need mad crazy light to function. They will melt and die away fast. I too have a 2FT tall tank. And even with X6 T5 Tubes @ 54W 10K The HC's brown out. And by the looks of it you are setting yourself up for bad experience.

Torque6 really hit the nail on the head with that you are going to have algae problems soon. There is just not enough plants sapping up the nutrients.

I failed many times before nailing the HC growth down. I went with Nano and it worked, massive lighting - brighter than normal.

Also dude, are those fish all at the surface?
    - Always Exceptions to the Rules -
    - Explain yourself thoroughly in the forums not just state the obvious -
    - Overkill is the best killing! -

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    The internal reactor, the outlet seems to me that the CO2 is wasting, bubbles going upwards instead of distributing around.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    My educated guess is; this is a lighting problem. HC's need mad crazy light to function. They will melt and die away fast. I too have a 2FT tall tank. And even with X6 T5 Tubes @ 54W 10K The HC's brown out. And by the looks of it you are setting yourself up for bad experience.

Torque6 really hit the nail on the head with that you are going to have algae problems soon. There is just not enough plants sapping up the nutrients.

I failed many times before nailing the HC growth down. I went with Nano and it worked, massive lighting - brighter than normal.

Also dude, are those fish all at the surface?
    Bro he's using 2X150W(4ft mh with 2x 150w 8k bulbs) Metal Halide! Please read carefully.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Are you using MH lights for your setup? I am wondering if it it to much light that causes the leaves to be small since now the plants do not need to spread themselves out to fight for lights.

What about the temperature of your tank?
    Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift...
    That's why it's called the present.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    And your point is?

The MH is 300W@8K. What I would be interested to know if MH Wattage WPG follow the same rules that the T5's would?

Comparatively the light spread for X6 T5 Tubes with X2 strips will distribute more light than a MH setup and generate 324W. Is it the same? You tell me. I.E. Even light spread. It is wattage over distribution.

But if the leaves are small, this also tells me that there could be a tad bit too much light .

EDIT: Roger you think you can post a close up picture of your leaves?

Quote Originally Posted by blue33 View Post
    Bro he's using 2X150W(4ft mh with 2x 150w 8k bulbs) Metal Halide! Please read carefully.
    Last edited by Loopy; 15th Dec 2008 at 18:18.
    - Always Exceptions to the Rules -
    - Explain yourself thoroughly in the forums not just state the obvious -
    - Overkill is the best killing! -

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    And your point is?

The MH is 300W@8K. What I would be interested to know if MH Wattage WPG follow the same rules that the T5's would?

Comparatively the light spread for X6 T5 Tubes with X2 strips will distribute more light than a MH setup and generate 324W. Is it the same? You tell me. I.E. Even light spread. It is wattage over distribution.

But if the leaves are small, this also tells me that there could be a tad bit too much light .

EDIT: Roger you think you can post a close up picture of your leaves?

I'm not an expert on lighting, but maybe you might want to read this:

http://www.venturelighting.com/TechC...TechIntro.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast