Singapore

new and interesting ways to keep those riccia down

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    found this, hope the owner dun mind me linking

link

I find this method rather workable, especially if u intend to keep a thick lawn of riccia and weighting it down with stone will usually result in having the bottom portion rotting away.. with this method, I think it solve that problem.. perharps, its time to go back to having riccia

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    quite interesting...and the rounded edges do not have the danger of hurting bottom feeders.....problem is metal poisioning.....
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Guys

Not so sure that it wont rot in time. When it gets too bushy, am sure lights wont penetrate and it will rot in time.

The way it goes, he has simply weighing down the riccia. Why spent time bending wires when yu can buy nettings and drop over the riccia like he do!??

I love riccia but its the maintenance after it. My shrimps loves to get to the base and eat them up. In no time a lobang will appear!

Dont tell me not to put in shrimps cos i loves them equally as well!... Sigh...Good things never last! Haha...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    ----------------
    he has simply weighing down the riccia. Why spent time bending wires when yu can buy nettings and drop over the riccia like he do!??
    ----------------
    you answered your own question. wire has more weight compared to netting so will be able to keep ricca down. you won't be able weigh down ricca with netting alone.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I echo apollos thinking... why spend time bending wire when you can use a stainless steel mesh/netting. Also doesn't solve the problem with riccia floating up when the bottom rots
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I dun agree with that, firstly, the weight of a mesh netting wouldnt do much compared to a metal rod like whats shown, the thing here is the use of something heavier, like a stone then weighting riccia down, a wire mesh dun do much to push it down.. rotting will happen sooner or later, perharps I shldnt have mentioned that the rotting prob is solved thru using this solution.. this method will prolong the use of riccia without have to retie them over and over again.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/15/2003 11:16:05 AM

I dun agree with that, firstly, the weight of a mesh netting wouldnt do much compared to a metal rod like whats shown, the thing here is the use of something heavier, like a stone then weighting riccia down, a wire mesh dun do much to push it down.. rotting will happen sooner or later, perharps I shldnt have mentioned that the rotting prob is solved thru using this solution.. this method will prolong the use of riccia without have to retie them over and over again.
    ----------------

well how about using the lead strip that comes along with the plant that you buy from LFS. anyway NA is selling them.
    GodLike InsiDe, IdioT OuTsiDe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the thing here is that, we have to be careful with the selection of the metal used, lead is a definte no, lead poisoning... so something that isnt harmful or rust

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/15/2003 12:25:46 PM

the thing here is that, we have to be careful with the selection of the metal used, lead is a definte no, lead poisoning... so something that isnt harmful or rust
    ----------------
    oh i see...thanks.
    but ah... whats the material strip that they used to hold the stem plants down?
    please enlighten me.... and will the strip cause any poisoning?
    GodLike InsiDe, IdioT OuTsiDe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thats lead, not advise to use them to weight down plants

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi,
    Pardon my stupid question. Any ones noes where to find such stainless metals that is safe for tanks? I tried a few hardware shop before but no ones sell it.

Cheers,
    Goondoo
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/15/2003 11:16:05 AM

----------------
    haha... and I have to say I dun agree wif that...[] [] I've grown riccia in the past, and wire mesh worked just fine... it sinks right to the bottom even with the riccia tied on. So no... I don't see why you need a heavier metal wire when a lighter wire mesh will do. []
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    coz I too also did the same and I find it too light, unlike thin rocks which does the job but the bottom rots away faster

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Tawauboy and Simon

Just like Allen, i have used stainless steel mesh and have keep the riccia down without prob.

My prob comes from rotting and shrimps eating at the base of the netting.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    if you compare a wire mesh and a square spiral, you will see that the wiremesh will block out quite a high percentage of the light. so the lower layers of ricca will have a higher chance of rotting. for the square spiral, only a minute portion of the ricca will be blocked thus reducing the chances of rotting. it will still rot some but much lesser.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    TB, again I'd have to disagree...

My Riccia never rotted because the light got blocked by the wire mesh... my riccia rotted because the light got block by the riccia on top. So no my wire mesh doesn't block light.

Lets consider this... how is the riccia held down? in one case its a 3mm diameter of wire, in the other case its a 1mm diameter mesh. Now assume I had riccia tied down below this wire/mesh and a light shining from on top... consider the strand of riccia which is being pinned down... which blocks more light? a 3mm line or a 1mm line? So if riccia was going to rot away due to light blockage, the 3mm line would block more. No Riccia rots away because the riccia on top of it is blocking the light.... not because of the wire or mesh which we use.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i think we getting out of point here, its an alternative method of holding riccia down, its up to the individual to evaluate what they want, whether a wire mesh is heavy enuff to hold them down and how compact depends on the medium they used. I think regardless of 1mm to 3mm diameter wire, it will still be the same.. cause riccia aint that small till 3mm diameter will block light nor a 1mm diameter ..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    While I can't dispute that what birgit has done looks really beautiful, I'm just wondering whether her method is in any way superior to our method of using a simple steel mesh. So far I've not heard any convincing reasons why it is better... I've also posted on AB asking birgit's opinion... for all we know they can't get steel mesh easily in US/Austria []
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    perharps, u should also email Amano and ask why he do not use wire mesh but small flat stones

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    seen this quite some time ago already liao but not sure where to get the metal rod.. anyone knows?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast