Images
    Country
    Singapore

Salt bath treatment frequency

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I've done quite a bit of seaching in the forums and still have one question on the salt bath treatment. It is supposed to be 1 tablespoon per 20liter. But do you dose it only ONCE and maintain the 'saltiness'? Or do you need to add salt (same amount) everyday?
    ... always look at the bright side of life

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Basically you dose enough salt to get the water to about 1 tablespoon/20L after than you just leave it be... anytime you change your water, If you want to retain the same level of salt, you will have to add salt to the fresh water so that the concentration is the same.

One thing to ask though, its not clear whether you are trying salt as a prevention or as a cure for something? Maybe you could elaborate why you want to use salt? and also what kind of tank you have.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Allen!! My tank is only a 2ft tank with low fishload. I'm using the salt treatment for the white spots appearing. So it's gonna be cure cum prevention too [:] Gonna try it and carry on for another week or so.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    if you are treating for white spot, you have to keep the treatment for at least 3-4 weeks. keep your regular water change schedule and add salt to maintain 1 tablespoon per 20l.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    cool!!! thanks guys!!! wonderful and helpful forumers we have here!!![:]

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 1/30/2003 9:54:57 AM

if you are treating for white spot, you have to keep the treatment for at least 3-4 weeks. keep your regular water change schedule and add salt to maintain 1 tablespoon per 20l.
    ----------------
    I am facing the same problem. So is salt treatment better than those white spots solution available in the market?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    salt is an effective enough treatment for white spot, so why resort to chemicals. using chemicals may have other side effects also.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 2/4/2003 12:23:29 AM

salt is an effective enough treatment for white spot, so why resort to chemicals. using chemicals may have other side effects also.
    ----------------
    But I dun know how to salt bath my fish. Is it to take the fish out of the water and rub the fish with salt? All my fishes are about tetra size and the biggest in size in my tank is my goldfish. So how exactly is salt bath done?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi otacon. don't know if you have found the answer to your own question when you search the database...

no - you don't rub the salt on the fishes. hahahah[] [] no offence meant, but your suggestion is quite funny if you try to imagine it being done...

just pre-dissolve the salt in some water and add it to your tank. the amount of salt is 1 tablespoon for about 20 litre of tank water. good luck

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 2/4/2003 6:28:57 PM

Hi otacon. don't know if you have found the answer to your own question when you search the database...

no - you don't rub the salt on the fishes. hahahah[] [] no offence meant, but your suggestion is quite funny if you try to imagine it being done...

just pre-dissolve the salt in some water and add it to your tank. the amount of salt is 1 tablespoon for about 20 litre of tank water. good luck
    ----------------
    I have got some suggestions from several friends and mostly told me to clean the fish tank, change the entire water and throw in aquarium salt. I even bought something else in additional from a LFS. It's in yellow powder form and in small pack that costs $2. I was told to throw in a little bit just to cure the white spots.
    Now I insert in 3 mollies to test the water condition cos dun know if they suitable with the yellow powder.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi otacon, i hope u're not trying to make salty fish [:0] [] ... no offences hor ... juz that it is too funny

for salt bath, do the following (i got these from searches in this forum):
    1. add 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons/20 liters
    - for example, for 15 gallons, u add 3 tbsp
    2. dissove it in water and slowly add them to the water
    3. change water every 3-4 days and make sure the concentration of salt is the same
    - for 15 gallons, if u change 1/3 water, add fresh water with one tbsp of salt
    4. continue this for 2-4 weeks and they should be ok

my rams and rummynoses are already recovering after 2 weeks ... gonna maintain for another 2 weeks to make sure

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Assuming you don't have a chiller, then given the temperature of most of our tanks (27-29C), the life cycle of ICH is usually around 2 weeks... So this should form the minimum duration for treatment.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Guys, Guys,

Will salt at 1tbsp/20litre hurt shrimps? Can I do it with a lower dose, like half or 3/4 tbsp? Running out of salt at home!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    When I last dosed at 1tbsp/20L, I saw no noticeable problems with my shrimps... if anything, my yamato seem to enjoy it... they seemed more active (or maybe thats my imagination)
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Allen,

That wait for a response before leaving office was well worth it. Got to deal with Ich tonite (sounds abit off-colour) on those Congo Tetras I just bought.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    One thing though, your plants may not thank you... Also try and up your salt concentrations gradually... I started at 1tbsp/10G then 1tbsp/8G slowly until I got to 1tbsp/5G. I did this over a period of 2 days... You will also have to keep your salt levels for about 2 weeks to be safe.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/21/2003 6:40:42 PM

One thing though, your plants may not thank you... Also try and up your salt concentrations gradually... I started at 1tbsp/10G then 1tbsp/8G slowly until I got to 1tbsp/5G. I did this over a period of 2 days... You will also have to keep your salt levels for about 2 weeks to be safe.

----------------
    Roger that. Man...having a planted aquarium can be stressful! Reminds me of the days when my boys had high fever at night when they were younger.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If you do a search, I actually documented the effects of 1tbsp/5G levels of salt on the various plants in my tank...

As for kids and fevers... tell me about it.... my daughter is only 19months, and I dread the thought of the next fever. At least now I have my stash of suppositories ready in case it really goes crazy.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/22/2003 1:25:28 AM

Roger that. Man...having a planted aquarium can be stressful! Reminds me of the days when my boys had high fever at night when they were younger.
    ----------------

haha....know your "agony" geoffrey. Got 3 boys of my own and they say with boys gotta be extra careful else they go into fits when having high fever. Guess taking care of our hobby is like taking care of your own kids!!
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    "Know" the causes of whitespot and then we can focus to minimise it.

For larger carnivores tropical fishes, white spot will not have an adverse effect on them. The situation will be an all time alert mode for smaller and more delicate fisges.

Do you guys know that garlic (not the commercially solution/paste tyope) is good in many ways?...One of which is to boost our fishes immune system so as to prevent "headaches" occurances.

cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast