Images
    Country
    Singapore

Mossy trip in Malaysia..

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Went to Berjaya hill and visited their japanese garden.
    this place have lots of moss!! so tempted to bring back some!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    What stopping you bro? Don't think there are a lot people

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I guess it is just like divers are educated not to pick up any corals from the sea when they dive? As this will destroy the eco-system ultimately.
    Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift...
    That's why it's called the present.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah took from my house car park 1 patch of singapore moss and the patch is still empty till now.. :P
    Last edited by fireblade; 18th Dec 2008 at 17:31.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    do you know the name of the moss in your 4th picture (centre part) - it like sunflower shape

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by windcharm View Post
    I guess it is just like divers are educated not to pick up any corals from the sea when they dive? As this will destroy the eco-system ultimately.
    I'm once a diver too, understand this hehe. Actually, as long as just a small portion, it won't destroy the eco-system "ultimately".

Ideally, the person who collected the moss in wild, able to experiment, understand and grow them, will benefit to the hobbyist true?

Bro fireblade, give me or sell me some when you grow them hehe.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    not sure about the name but look like the star moss that I used to have..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Scotland

tissue culture

You should try to master tissue culture of moss, that way you only need to take a very small sample in order to grow much more and it won't have any impact on the eco-system whereas tearing up patches of moss can be quite harmful seeing as it is relatively slow growing.
    You might want to see if you can buy some Murishige and Skoog growth media and then go back to collect some tiny samples.
    Last edited by louis_last; 18th Dec 2008 at 17:30. Reason: punctuation
    kind regards,
    Louis Last

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by louis_last View Post
    You should try to master tissue culture of moss, that way you only need to take a very small sample in order to grow much more and it won't have any impact on the eco-system whereas tearing up patches of moss can be quite harmful seeing as it is relatively slow growing.
    You might want to see if you can buy some Murishige and Skoog growth media and then go back to collect some tiny samples.
    MS media!!

haha, although the media is widely use in Plant tissue culture techniques I believe it is not very practical for non-professionals who cannot keep the plants in sterile environment?

MS media contains high nutrient levels and fungus would set in destroying your tissue culture if you do not sterilize your media correctly. and technically speaking, there are no way any household hobbyist have access to 210degC + wet heat of an autoclave!

Even small samples of tissue have its risk, through sterilization procedures such as hypochlorite sterilization can kill the moss tissue itself.

i think it's the best to leave it to the bryologist to collect and do the culture! at the same time we should (somehow) try to protect the environment and reduce removal directly from nature

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Wah bro WiNd08, You sure understand how it work! You work in Oriental?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    haha nope! currently working in a pharmaceutical industry for attachment, still a diploma student.. knowledge wise it's really only the basics

hope to gain some experience + also hobby if i can really get into OA for some training

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Scotland
    luckily i have an autoclave from when i used to cultivate mushrooms. so absolute sterilization is no problem for me, You might be able to purchase a pressure cooker fairly inexpensively, it's not ideal but it can get the job done too. I started off growing mushrooms just using a pressure cooker from home hardware that cost about 25 pounds before i got access to a proper autoclave.
    Last edited by louis_last; 19th Dec 2008 at 01:52. Reason: extra info.
    kind regards,
    Louis Last

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by louis_last View Post
    luckily i have an autoclave from when i used to cultivate mushrooms. so absolute sterilization is no problem for me, You might be able to purchase a pressure cooker fairly inexpensively, it's not ideal but it can get the job done too. I started off growing mushrooms just using a pressure cooker from home hardware that cost about 25 pounds before i got access to a proper autoclave.
    It's cool that you're able to place an autoclave at home! haha, I believe in Singapore such items are not generally available to the public. I think a pressure cooker should work just as well, using pressure to penetrate into the sterilizing materials
    Last edited by WiNd08; 19th Dec 2008 at 09:31.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Scotland

pressure cooker

pressure cookers do work but they aren't designed for it so sometimes you will open it to find that everything has spilled / fallen over, and obviously you can't fit very much in them at once so it can become quite time consuming because you must wait for it to heat up and cool down etc. etc.
    kind regards,
    Louis Last