Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Non Scientific Names for Plants

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi guys.. was wondering whether anyone can help me out by giving me a link on any webby wof these plants with their non scientific names? i seem to get really confused by the names that you all state and i have to check back to the plants list in AQ... maybe i'm just plain slow in the brain... how do you guys actually remember all those confusing names... by the way..got my tank and stuff.. waiting to add in the plants now.. ..hope you guys can gimme some pointers.. thanks!
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    U can try www.dennerle.dePlant database, they have common names, though locally we prefer to use latin names as its more of a standard.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks for the link simon... appreciate it.. was reading thru the old posts... read a topic on a glass tank giving way..(crack)... now i'm a little worried about my tank. its a 36X18X18 tank...measured the thickness... seems like only 5mm.. is it possible? or did i measure wrongly... after i add in the substrate and water and plants and some rocks.. will it be able to withstand the weight? sorry to ask so many questions ah... am a greenhorn... []
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    sorry simon the link dun seem to be working.. can post again? thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    it depends on alot of factors... very hard to determine

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    LightHammer... I've fixed the link for Simon. Try it again.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Kevin,
    Your tank is about 50g which I think 5mm glass should be able to withstand it. But this will be subjected to the tank builder's workmanship. If you're that worried, you can try asking the shop owner to replace the tank with thicker glass and paying the difference.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    many thanks again guys... hey sherwin... sorry couldn't get to you on icq... something wrong with it... anyway ah... i went to the fish shop to ask for a co2 system in exchange for 1 month of hard labour.. but the guy refused... .. also went to the pet safari.. does anyone think that the prices there are a bit far fetched?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Pet Safari's price are kinda high but that is the price they have to set.

Imagine buying Laksa from hawker centre and food court, same rite?
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/9/2003 10:36:28 PM

hi guys.. was wondering whether anyone can help me out by giving me a link on any webby wof these plants with their non scientific names? i seem to get really confused by the names that you all state and i have to check back to the plants list in AQ... maybe i'm just plain slow in the brain... how do you guys actually remember all those confusing names... by the way..got my tank and stuff.. waiting to add in the plants now.. ..hope you guys can gimme some pointers.. thanks!
    ----------------
    Try this: http://www.trueaquariumplants.com/pl...&dep=1
    These non-scientific names may not be well known across all countries. Even Teo Plant Farm uses Hokkien for plant names. So it is better to know the botanical name of the plants. After a while you get used to it.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    try checking out lfs for a copy of oriental plant catalogue. the older one cost ard 10 bucks and is good enough. also list the light requirements, height and temperature requirement.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Isn't that price of the old catalog? The new one is $30+ right?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/10/2003 12:38:59 AM

many thanks again guys... hey sherwin... sorry couldn't get to you on icq... something wrong with it... anyway ah... i went to the fish shop to ask for a co2 system in exchange for 1 month of hard labour.. but the guy refused... .. also went to the pet safari.. does anyone think that the prices there are a bit far fetched?
    ----------------
    Hi Lighthammer, I see you've decided to go for the works . Glad to see I didn't put you off. If you're like me, chances are you'll be tearing down and rebuilding the tank a few times so don't feel down when that happens. Treat it as a learning process.

BTW, if you're going to use CO2, be real careful or your fishes will float real fast (as mine did). Most of our tap water has very low KH so you should get a bottle of baking soda (the LFS selling you the CO2 system should have them). Use the baking soda to raise the KH to about 3-4 deg. After that, use the CO2 to bring down the PH to the desired level. Once you've got the right mixture, your plants should be fine. BTW, you'll also need a PH test kit and a KH test kit to measure the KH & PH levels.

I'm afriad that's the extent of my knowledge. You'll need to consult the experts here if you need more info.

Here's a good article to help you make some sense of the stuff.

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

p.s. you can also try Nature Aquarium. That's where I got my CO2 system from and the prices are reasonable. Alternatively, try Petmart tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    ----------------
    Isn't that price of the old catalog? The new one is $30+ right?
    ----------------
    yes. am directing at the older version.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I would rather get the new Oriental catalog. More plants and info inside.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yo guys.. thanks for all the help... will be delaying the setting up of my tank due to the coming V-Day... on quite a tight budget...so for the moment looking for some second hand stuff to acquire... thanks for the wealth of information you all have shared with me.. especially sherwin. will be looking forward to learn more from you all. as soon as i get enough money i will be asking around if anyone wants to go to teo's together on a chartered bus.. hope to get good response. Cheers!!![]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Normally the transport is we have should be enough, no need to charter a bus.... lol.

Might be going to Teo's again on the 22nd Feb.... will let you know when confirmed.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sherchoo,

Pls include me! I need transport, man! Maybe we should have monthly/quarterly outing trip like those in Photogrpahy club.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Will make an announcement if we do go. Please look out for it.

Transport is definately a problem. Please approach volunteers if any.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]