Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

your opinion: betta-riccia tank in the office

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, need you opinion, thinking of keeping a betta tank in the office. the dimension of the tank will be 1 ft. furnishing it with rocks and riccia lawn. no CO2. no filtration, no aeration, just change of water once a week. will have duckweed as floating plants

So far haven't tried breeding betta yet - hope to do so in this new tank. but will the cool temp affect the betta adversely?

And will the riccia suffer? I've a 9W light (those clip-on type). no CO2 injection too. will the ketapang be ok with the riccia?

Thanks [:]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Anakin, why riccia? I tried riccia in my office tank initially with 22W on top, but didn't turn out well. The riccia grew, but not really nice. And after the first cutting, it looks ugly, becos all yellow and brown underneath. Big headache when u want to cut it too.

Now, I put in DIY Co2 and add another 36W ($50...), growing glosso, turns out well.

My advice is, if u want the tank to relieve some work stress and promote some peaceful lunch nap, using low light plants I set up a 1.5ft/22W for my colleagues with E Tenullus and java fern, look nice leh.

Notwithstanding, i have another colleague who grew riccia quite well with lower light at home. But i guess the afternoon sun helped him along.

As for the betta, i tried in office too, 22C. The betta suffered.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Im also starting to setup a small tank in my office about 1 ft also and im planning to grow some xmoss I will try experementing see can they grow without c02. some forumers say they also grow with co2. just a cool temp will do and maybe some fert. i want to keep some bee shrimps and red cheery shrimps bec my house my tank if you put those thing u seldom see them always hiding inside my lush riccia.

any other advice or any suggestions for keeping plants without co2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Anakin,

Betta and Riccia not a good idea... at least in my experience. Had a betta in a comm tank with riccia. He spent his days beating up the lily gourami and pulling out riccia strand by strand (thinks they are worms or something like that).
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Not a good idea if you intend to breed your betta.

1) The mating will be vicious and your riccia might be uprooted
    2) the riccia will hide the dropped eggs from the bubblenest and the male can't pick them up-> eggs killed by fungus
    3) Riccia can't grow well without CO2
    4) Generally, most bettas don't do well in aircon rooms because of the low temperature.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    how abt moss and wild betta.. Yummy me thinking of setting one up.. once my company decides

Java moss on driftwood?

I guess having just the betta without plans of spawning it is OK. The only worry is the temperature. Don't think they do well at 22C. Unless you can have some sort of heater.

Maybe you can also consider fancy plakats. They're much more hardy