42 (98%)
    Country
    Singapore

question about bubbles per second

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    when you guys look at the BPS rate , which is the correct way ?

looking at the bubble counter ? or looking at the diffuser ?

thanks again

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    bubble counter because I'm not using diffusor

By the way, buble per second does not tell how many ppm of CO2 in the tank. You need proper equipment like drop checker to tell whether your tank have enough CO2 or not. pH and kH table also work assuming you do not have anything that alter the water pH and kH property.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    42 (98%)
    Country
    Singapore
    can you advise or show me a link how to calculate the ph and Kh ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wah this is chim topic to me. Took me quite a while to understand. Basically there are conversion tables and formulas you can use and find on the internet. But AQ itself has an Aquarium Calculator and which has a CO2 calculator function. From there, you can calculate how much ppm of CO2 you have in the water, based on the KH and pH values. These values can be measured with test kits.

This, however, assumes that there is nothing in your aquarium that affects the pH of the water, other than CO2, which is almost impossible, because there are bond to be things like pH-lowering soil substrate, driftwood etc... So this direct way of calculation will give a higher ppm of CO2 than is true, for most of us who have a low pH tank to start with.

The way most brothers here practise, I believe, is using a drop checker, which is basically a small inverted container with opening at the bottom. Off the shelf brands include ADA, Dymax, what-have-you.... Inside the drop checker, a standard solution of known kH (usually 4dKH) is added, with a few drops of pH indicator. This mixture solution does not come in contact with your tanks water, thus remains at a fixed KH, and the pH will change due to only CO2.

So now, with the KH fixed and set by us, and a fluctuating pH due to CO2, we can estimate the ppm of CO2 in the tank water by monitoring the colour change of the pH indicator.

Simply put it, just buy a drop checker, prepare a 4dKH solution, use this solution in your drop checker with a few drops of pH indicator provided, when the colour shows green when you CO2 is running, then it should be around 30ppm.

Hope I managed to brieftly explain the senarios. Maybe some other brothers here can explain more clearly and help out.....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by freshfish View Post
    can you advise or show me a link how to calculate the ph and Kh ?
    since our local water have very low mineral content, thus its impossible to simulate KH/GH calculation, which is why we used 4dkh with 1 drop from our PH test kit to determine co2 concentration in the water.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe some other brothers here can explain more clearly and help out

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    what you want to know?