Country
    Singapore

Drift/Bog wood turning water yellowish

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Folks,

Need some advise here. I bought a 30 cm piece of driftwood from NA a few mths back and since then, my background plants have died. I just cleared them all away and now, only the shorter plants that remain are doing alright. I suspect it's the reduction in light/spectrum due to the yellowish tinge. I can see the difference in brightness after 1 30% water change ! Somehow, this benefits the fishes (same effect as black water ??) as they are all well and healthy and no death among the 10 fishes (3 rummy, 6 cardinal and 3 emperor) to my existing stock in my 2 feet cube tank before 2 weeks ago.

Have you experience such problem where the yellow tinge can affect plants and is there other way to remove it (activated carbon doesn't really work for me) ? If this persist, I may have to give up tall plants to and stick to short ones like stargrass and blyxxa or remove the wood and use "flower" rocks.

Thks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Was there any change to the pH after you put in the wood? How frequently do you do water change? I am not aware that this colouration can kill plants.

Even without driftwood in my tank, I found the water slightly yellowish in the pail. I think this could be due to the cocopeat I used as substrate.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Did you treat the driftwood? I.e. boil, soak in boiling hot water for a few days/weeks.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thks guys. I know it's a little far fetched how driftwood can affect plants but my background plants started to deteriorate after I put in the driftwood. Now, my background is "botak". The water is tinted yellow. Those in the foreground and under direct light are not really affected. After a partial water change you can spot the significant difference in light contrast. The whole tank looks brighter.

No. I didn't boil the wood. I just soaked them in a pail of water for a week.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If it is very brownish/yellowish, then there's a chance your pH has taken a significant dip. If you are using the KH-pH-CO2 charts to set your CO2 levels, it's going to be skewed. Your CO2 will be lower then that on the chart.

If you set the CO2 based on the charts before the wood went in, the pH will be lower then before. So please check your pH/CO2. What plant or plants died?

Well, try soaking the wood in a pail of boiling hot water everyday for a few days. Change the water in the pail everyday.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.