Country
    Singapore

shrimp disaster

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Over the past month, I bought 11 tiger, 6 cherry and 5 yamato shrimps. 2 tiger shimps died within a few days after while the rest adapted quite well in my tank.

Then, I decided to add some Floral Boost (Interpet) and within 2 days, about 6 tiger shrimps died.

Soon after, I left my lights on for about 40hrs (never go home) and the temperature increased until it was quite warm (judging by feeling). That wiped out most of the yamatos and the rest of the tigers. The cherrys were the more hardy ones which endured all these. :P

Do you guys think the increased temperature and the added fertiliser were the main culprits?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the temperature is more likely. some shrimps cannot handle temps past 28 to 30 deg i think. i've never seen malayans die from high temps anyway.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Does anybody knows what are the water parameters for the shrimps - malayan, tiger, yamatoes etc???
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    so sad to see that happen!!!
    But mine somesore same as yrs!!!!
    HaiZ when yr shrimp going to die yr fish will bite them too!!!!
    <<<Nature(BEDOK AREA)
    Hp:91465830(sms)
    ICQ..(176965177)
    My mail([email protected]>>>

Feedback Score
    bee shrimp and tiger shrimp can't tolerate temp above 25 degree, thats wat the owner told me......after i bought the shrimp. All but a handful died within 2 days.

yamatos are more tolerent thu. the are surviving in my 25-28 degree tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    kenny, I have to disagree on that. My tigers and bees are doing well in my 27-28C tank. Not spawning but doing fine [:] perhaps it's some other factors? I acclimatised them like fishes when I first intro them and they were ok from then

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    after a few batches of bee shrimps into my 1ft, quite a lot are gone. but i have seen the remaining ones carry eggs at a temp of 27 C (during the dec rainy season).

Feedback Score
    Hi,

Can advise where you get the tiger and bee shrimps ?

Thanks a million ! Cheers !!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i think the sprimps die due to too much co2 input...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Most shrimp issue arises from poor acclimatization, lack of O2 and stress. I doubt the flora boost is the culprit here unless you added too much? By not switching off the lights for 40hrs, you are subjecting your critters and plants to some stress as they need to rest as well. The increase in the water temperature also means less form of gases like O2 can stay in the water and that is probably the other probable cause.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Shrimps should be able to adapt to all temperature.
    (<30 degree celcius)

As long as the temperature swing is not too great.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Have u checked the pH in your tank? My Yamatoes started to die/shows signs of dying..... I checked pH and realised it's almost 6.0! My Cherry ones started to konk out first, followed by the Yamatoes... I quickly transfer those dying ones out into a container, pump some air in, half a day's work and they start to kick *** again! Hope this helps.

By the way, try to ask the LFS that sell you the prawns to put pieces of sponge (or filter material) for the weaker species to hang on when you transport them home. I had an incident all my tiger prawns died on me when I reached home.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My yamatoes behaving funny - some swim then drop to the bottom of the tank looks sort of stunned. then after a minute life goes on again

Some others looks like molting or dying or paralysed ( like in a C shape )Don't know what to make of it. Any same experiences?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/14/2003 3:31:11 AM

bee shrimp and tiger shrimp can't tolerate temp above 25 degree, thats wat the owner told me......after i bought the shrimp. All but a handful died within 2 days.

yamatos are more tolerent thu. the are surviving in my 25-28 degree tank.
    ----------------

My tank's temperture hit a high of 29 degree sometime and all my 50 Yamatos are still alive and molting.
    Corydoras: 2 x adolfoi, 1 x agassizii, 5 x albino aeneus, 3 x arcuatus, 4 x atropersonatus, 3 x axelrodi, 6 x axelrodi variante B, 4 x caudimaculatus, 5 x duplicareus, 8 x goldlines, 3 x kanei, 3 x loretoensis, 6 x melini, 4 x panda, 6 x schwartzi, 3 x similis, 4 x sterbai, 4 x surinamensis, 5 x trilineatus, 4 x tukano & 3 x zygatus

RIP 1 x adolfoi, 1 x albino aeneus & 2 x panda

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    May i ask which type of shrimp are the easiest to cultivate besides malayan shrimps?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/24/2003 1:22:26 AM

May i ask which type of shrimp are the easiest to cultivate besides malayan shrimps?
    ----------------
    I think Yamato
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score
    My 1st batch of yamato died out within 1-2 weeks of each other to the point dat seeing 1 or 2 of them seems like seeing an endangered species near to extinction.

This continued for a couple of more batches until my LFS owner advised me to cut down the CO2 supply.

After heeding the advise, so far so good.....and the yamoto shrimps r very hardworking too.....

Re:

My tank's temperture hit a high of 29 degree sometime and all my 50 Yamatos are still alive and molting.[/quote]

Me too
    People come here to shit and stink,
    Others come here to sit and think,
    I come here to scratch my balls and see the writings on the wall.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My Yamatos did better at 27degC and below. They seem more active when it's cooler. Also they do better when CO2 is just enough.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In summary, poor acclimatization and temp tend to be the no 1 factors. (least what I think). As in all fishes, you need to introduce the shrimps to the tank and trust me, they need longer acclimatization compared to fishes as they are vulunerable. The other factor is temp. In general, shrimps tend to do better at lower temp.
    Some tips(learnt from real experiences)
    1. Observe the shrimps before you buy them. In bulk, look at the behaviour of all the shrimps, R they swimming about(if so, not gd)? R their bodies milky white(bad - lack of O2)? , R their colours good(good colours means stable)?
    2. Feel the water/temp of the package. Most of the time during transportation, these package are subjected to higher temp.
    3. Transport your shrimps in cool and safe(less shaky) conditions
    4. Have a longer acclimatization timing.
    5. If the shrimps start to behaviour oddly(springing around, swim up and down), net them out and put them back into the original water (always scoop some package water out from newly bought fish/shrimp - it has always been my practice)
    6. All the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast