Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What Moss? - England Visit

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I recently went to England and took back some plants from a bog. I have what looks like a Star Moss and need confirmation.

I have other plants as well but I am being very careful with how I handle them. Currently everything is floating on top the "canopy" of leaves in my tank.

I will take more pictures of the other plants soon.

:: Related Threads ::
    1.) http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=33716
    2.) http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=50262
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Always Exceptions to the Rules -
    - Explain yourself thoroughly in the forums not just state the obvious -
    - Overkill is the best killing! -

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Scotland
    Where exactly did you collect the moss from? If it really was a bog then it probably isn't star moss as our bogs are acidic. I would try to grow it emersed first on some peat to allow it to recover from its journey.
    kind regards,
    Louis Last

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Louis, thanks for questions.

I have to apologise, I picked up so many different plants (together with the -7 temperature) I failed to remember that this particular plant I put in the picture is actually from the driveway where car tires can't get to them type-thing.

It has opened up since sitting on the "canopy" of plants. It is responding very very well to the light now. I have since moved them to my planted tank at work. And they seem stable. There is no indication of browning or melting. They seem to be opening up more than anything else, I am certainly keeping my fingers crossed.

If this helps, some of the plants I took had pondweed. Is that an indication that it was not a bog? I had to punch through a think layer of ice to get to it.

I have some other plants which I am yet to ID. They are all in my plant tank at work now which is like the elixer of life for all my plants.

I'll keep you updated. Thank you very much for the country specific information.

Quote Originally Posted by louis_last View Post
    Where exactly did you collect the moss from? If it really was a bog then it probably isn't star moss as our bogs are acidic. I would try to grow it emersed first on some peat to allow it to recover from its journey.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Scotland
    Let me know how it goes, you may get lucky with it as I also have one of our British mosses growing in my tank. You should try to visit Scotland next time as we have 87% of the UK moss species here, 60% of Europe's species and up to 5% of the worlds moss species.
    Generally bogs aren't very deep and most of them are in Scotland, it's hard to say what conditions your plants may be from as we have a pretty wide range of aquatic habitats from deep, soft, acidic water that is covered in thick ice for half the year which harbors many different aquatic mosses and liverworts to shallow, hard, alkaline water where you can find Willow moss.
    kind regards,
    Louis Last

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have one of the mosses in the tank at home right now. Also floating on the canopy. It seems to have opened up somewhat. As mosses that I have had grow incredibly slow it is really hard to tell. Will be hitting the LHS in an hour to get some wire mesh to tie it to. I hope this moss works out. It is bright green which is really nice.

The moss in the picture has little pearls on them now. I am not sure if this is the pearl-swirl that is in my tank that has merely got caught to the tiny leaves, I have to monitor it to update you further.

I should be up there for another visit in August, I'll get my wellies on and you can show me around. It is truly amazing the level of mosses and liverworts up there, doing tons of research now. If you have any websites you know of I'll be happy to read them.

Oh another update. I just noticed a species of plant has a big bubble/pearl on it. That is certainly from the plant. It seems to be looking up.

Anyway mate I am off the the LHS here in Singapore, Compliments of the Season and Happy New Year to you and everyone in AQ.

Let me know how it goes, you may get lucky with it as I also have one of our British mosses growing in my tank. You should try to visit Scotland next time as we have 87% of the UK moss species here, 60% of Europe's species and up to 5% of the worlds moss species.
    Generally bogs aren't very deep and most of them are in Scotland, it's hard to say what conditions your plants may be from as we have a pretty wide range of aquatic habitats from deep, soft, acidic water that is covered in thick ice for half the year which harbors many different aquatic mosses and liverworts to shallow, hard, alkaline water where you can find Willow moss.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Chris, your post did not show up, just a quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wong View Post

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Another moss that I picked off the driveway is thriving. It is growing at a very rapid rate and is really a nice green.

Also if anyone wants duckweed/pondweed from England shoot me a PM. The difference is they have very very small leaves. Need people to help grow them to quantity.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Scotland
    Excellent news. It would be cool to see some pictures.
    kind regards,
    Louis Last

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yeppers, will be sending some pictures up. My phone is a bit cranky lately and I cannot seem to transfer. Will do this week.

I am waiting for a few more plants to grow out at the work tank. They are also growing at a rapid rate.

Excellent news. It would be cool to see some pictures.