Country
    Singapore

most challenghing plants?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi to all forumers,

I would like to posed a question... which plant in your opinion is the most challenging plant and why?
    Just thought it is noce to talk abt some difficulties we face.

checkerboard
    ----------------------------

do not do to others what you will not want done to you!

be kind! =)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've tried hairgrass before in my previous tank and it juz can't take off. They juz simply thin and melt away into oblivion. The worse part is the the back-breaking experience I had planting them. So much effort but still no results. Now I've given up the idea to grow hairgrass totally. Maybe one day I'll take up the challenge again when I have more time....
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sherwin: I tried Hiar Grass both times and they grew OK. But only that they are prone to getting BBA in my case.

For me A.reneckii seems tough. With more than 3w/g, only the top few leaves stays OK but the bottom leaves kept getting holes and melting away. Even when I dosed everything I got in the water and substrate. It doesn't die but it doesn't grow well either. *sian*
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    tried hairgrass also, melted...baaah, and all the effort...i'd rather stick to tenellus...regards to growing plants, i have difficulty growing most plants because my clown loaches keep chewing every new plant i introduce...
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    for me i think rotala maranda(not sure of spelling) i find it diffcult to maintain its red colour.. []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/5/2003 9:19:31 PM

Sherwin: I tried Hiar Grass both times and they grew OK. But only that they are prone to getting BBA in my case.
    ----------------
    KF, you sure your HG suffering from BBA or hair algae. mine is hairalgae, if you lift a ball up against the light you can see they are dark green. Suggest you try to cut your HG botak (all the way to the substrate), siphon out all the algae-infested gravel, etc. Let them grow back naturally and without overcrowding. see how.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    So far, my hairgrass grows fine. Find that it grows quite tall within 2 weeks and need regular trimming. It's also spreading slowly.

I find Rotala Macrandra a difficult plant for me despite direct strong light. The bottom leaves would just melt while the top part grows speedily. New leaves that sprouts are quite small, while distance in between the leaves grew further apart. It's no longer that attractive as I first bought. Perhaps not suitable for my tank since the depth is only 30 cm? Still struggling with it and considering about giving up.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    KF,

I've got A. Reneckii and it doesn't seem to bad... in fact I've only got about 2.8W/G they propagate quite well as well... my biggest problem is that they are quite prone to green spot algae... which spoils the look.

For me the toughest would be hottonia inflata. I can get it to grow, but I can't get it to creep. Which is how I feel it looks best. Also usually it looks ugly with the lower leaves melting... So far this is the only plant which I have failed at... Twice!
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/5/2003 11:50:32 PM

----------------
    On 2/5/2003 9:19:31 PM

----------------
    KF, you sure your HG suffering from BBA or hair algae. mine is hairalgae, if you lift a ball up against the light you can see they are dark green. Suggest you try to cut your HG botak (all the way to the substrate), siphon out all the algae-infested gravel, etc. Let them grow back naturally and without overcrowding. see how.
    ----------------
    I thought they look like BBA, small ball of turfs clasping the HG blade. My friend thought they look nice - as if the HG is flowering.

Anyway, I did not trim them away this time round because it failed to solve the BBA problem previously. I resort to more regular water change and making sure the HG are healthy with daily trace elements and weekly dose of K. Seems like it is working. After one month plus, new HG has grown and some of the BBA has dropped off that I can siphon them away. Still got algae and I hope to win the war.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My observation on Macrandra is that it is macro-hungry plant, noteably Mg, PO4. I have good success on this plant; it is shinny (I think it comes from SO4) orangy red to red and starts produce side stems when it grow about 14" high each time. The average leaf lenght is about 6cm.

I have problem with hair glass too. They just stay very short (may be due to strong light?). That is ok, but the feeding ground areas are always botak[] .

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    KF, sounds like hair algae and not BBA.

FC, HG needs lotsa light.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hottonia inflata is the only plant I cant grow, simply becoz it requires cooler temp achieve only with a chiller... perharps its just my tank

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My observation on Macrandra is that it is macro-hungry plant, noteably Mg, PO4. I have good success on this plant; it is shinny (I think it comes from SO4) orangy red to red and starts produce side stems when it grow about 14" high each time. The average leaf lenght is about 6cm.

I have problem with hair glass too. They just stay very short (may be due to strong light?). That is ok, but the feeding ground areas are always botak .

FC ,
    I must agree with you that you need to put in extra effort to look after red coloured plants. they are very challenging and worth all the effort when they spout new leaves/shoots.

the plant that has been bogging me now is ludwigia []

Feedback Score
    planting glosso is a pain to me cos need to separate and plant individually. plus gotta keep them from growing upwards, thinking of giving it up and cover the part with riccia. Hairgrass in my tank doesn't seem to grow fast but can see some runners ard the area I plant. The stupid yamatoes can't seem to keep off my christmas moss too. Already feel them with algae wafers but they seem to take a liking to christmas moss, expensive taste!
    Regards,
    Brigitte

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow, hottonia inflata! My favourite, it has the Japanese garden effect. 1 year ago, they grow at snail pace in my tank before they melt completely. I did not get enough, just 3 stalks, to try. I wish to do it again after I have enough of my Ludwigia.
    Do you know where I can get them?

cks,

If you want Ludwigia Brevipes, I can past them to you in my next pruning (I just trimmed them 2 days ago and gave them to Bioplast). PM me about 2 weeks later to remind me. The qty will be enough to cover 1 sqft.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    FC, last seen hottonia at bioplast

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    FC
    thanks in advance will keep it in mind

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    FC,

Recently there was sudden influx of hottonia... shops like C328, Gen-x, Bioplast all had similar pots of the stuff... so I wouldn't be surprised if you can find then all over... prices were roughly $6 bucks a pot.

Simon,

I agree... I suspect temp is the main reason for the failure... perhaps I'll try again when I get a chiller... or rather IF I get a chiller.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Allen, thanks, good news for me..

Talking about water temperature, due to "cold winter" now, my water stay steady between 26.5 to 27.3 degree celcius (the thermometer I have is accurate). In the "Summer", I used to have 28 to 29.

Perhaps, it is time for Hottonia and season them? Very tempted...

How about yours (temp)?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    my water temp was about 27-28 during this period (only 1 fan)... the last batch died after I salted my tank...
    Allen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast