Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My First Planted Tank : 4'x2'x2.5' (LxWxH)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dosing Excel directly works to soften it up but I think just regular slight OD is ok.
    FYI my friend bought 20 SAE's, 30 otos and don't know how many yamato to clean up his 3ft hair algae tank. No feeding for a week and clear. Of course mosses also bald...

Gambate! Anyway, I think more plants always work. I just feel the discus are too small to be put in planted tank. oops starting to sound like broken record.
    Last edited by StanChung; 23rd Jan 2009 at 01:25. Reason: repeating...
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    Dang! We cannot let the algae have the upper hand on this beautiful tank! Holy cow dude, 2.5FT in Height, that takes balls man.
    Thanks for the encouragement bro, 2.5ft is a little too high. Can still manage once I took the hood away and... my mum give me a long hand too

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post

Here is what I did:

1.) 6 SAE's
    2.) 2 GAE's (Golden) (These thing grow big, but wow do they work like crazy)
    3.) 11 OTTO's
    4.) 1 PLECO (It's White, that's all I know)
    5.) SYRINGE BLASTING!
    5A.) AZOO ANTI ALGAE
    5B.) EXCEL
    6.) Brought down the photoperiod, you are doing 5 hours. I would not even know if 3 hours is advisable - What does everyone think?
    7.) Oh and I chucked in plants like crazy
    Thanks for sharing of the above, will likely to avoid GAE as it may creat problem once the discus grown up.

Think I will just cut down the left hand side MH to 3 hrs and off the right hand MH (directly above the bog wood infested with hair algae) for a week and observed. What do you think?

A bit worry to meddle things around now coz I will be away for a whole week (actually 9 days) starting tomorrow, too many changes and if things go wrong I will not be there to rectify it... Sigh...
    4ft Planted Tank (approx. 500L incl sump)
    Equipment:
    4x2x2.5 12mm Tank with Sump. 4x55W 6,700K T5. Eheim 1262 Return. Hailea 300A Chiller. 5L CO2 with JBJ Solenoid Regulator. Lapis Sand with JBL Base Fert.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by StanChung View Post
    FYI my friend bought 20 SAE's, 30 otos and don't know how many yamato to clean up his 3ft hair algae tank. No feeding for a week and clear. Of course mosses also bald...
    20 SAEs and 30 Otos.. OMG

Quote Originally Posted by StanChung View Post
    Gambate! Anyway, I think more plants always work. I just feel the discus are too small to be put in planted tank. oops starting to sound like broken record.
    Thanks bro. Will keep it up. As for the discus, I am not too sure either if I can succeed in raising them in a planted tank set up, just trying out and may be if I made it then some of us may try raising a batch of discus fries in a planted tank next time
    Equipment:
    4x2x2.5 12mm Tank with Sump. 4x55W 6,700K T5. Eheim 1262 Return. Hailea 300A Chiller. 5L CO2 with JBJ Solenoid Regulator. Lapis Sand with JBL Base Fert.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Bro torque6 is sharing his success in battling hair algae using endlers, sound interesting and I may just give it a try .. Seaview here I come

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=51992

So far the SAEs, though munching on the hair algae but not to the extend of gaining control over its growth... some more my SAEs fest on Blood Worm too, is this normal??
    Equipment:

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, soon they will just wait for you to feed them and ignore the algae all together. That's the problem with SAEs.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Yes, it's a love hate relationship with SAE. Once they're older[~3"] you have to let them go or keep them in a 'retirement tank'.

I have one that doubles up as my fern/anubias/bolbitis holding tank where I feed them sparingly. If I get any hair algae infested plant I put it in there to be 'cleaned'.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Update on Day 37:
    Added 10 SAEs (total 16 SAEs in the tank), did a 50% water change, off both MH to reduce light intensity, injected about 40ml of Excel directly onto hair algae and then off I go for my CNY break (away for 9 days), here's how the tank looks upon returning home

No casualties, touch wood.

And amazingly, almost all Hair Algae had disappeared. No idea if it's due to the SAEs or Excel or reduced light intensity since I off both MHs (could be a combination of the three) but I am delighted to have some good outcome in my battle with this stubborn algea (I know I am far from declaring a victory in this battle)... Anyway the moss doesn't looks healthy now and there's some brown out area.. hopefully it will recover slowly.

Equipment:

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Don't worry... moss recover fast

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by vwsj84 View Post
    Don't worry... moss recover fast
    I do hope so... Start seeing some hair algae again on the moss... dosing excel (10ml) on alternate day and hopefully it would work out well.. finger cross
    Equipment:

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ethan,

I am running a 5th with Sump tank.
    24 hrs - 6 bps - 7.3 PH

When light is on, additional 3 bps from another CO2 tank.
    7.3 PH with lights on.
    7.1 PH without lights on with the addition 3 bps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Canada

Re: My First Planted Tank : 4'x2'x2.5' (LxWxH)

I am thinking about a 150 gallon high my self and was wondering how this one turned out. How was your experience with planting a 2.5 foot tank. What ever happened to this set up. I am very interested to find out.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Very nice setup!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

your driftwood very nice! may i know where u got it from?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

its a five year old thread fyi

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123