Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is there any big fish that is gentle to adult Yamato or cherry shrimps?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Is there any big fish that is gentle to adult Yamato or cherry shrimps?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I'm looking for big fish for main fish in my 3ft tank (put maybe 3 to 5). Most of the fish that I can think of is or tried killing/hunting my shrimps. Is there any big fish that gentle to adult shrimps? My shrimps mainly Yamato and Cherry. I don't mind for them to eat the Cherry shrimplet but let go the adult shrimp.

Fish that I try:
    1) Ram
    2) Discuss
    3) Apisto
    4) Angle fish (have not try but heard that it will kill shrimps)

is this balloon ram? I have a pair, they shared 25 malayan amongst themselves....

Anyone want to take them away from me?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

how about cardinals and rummy nose ?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Biofeedback View Post

is this balloon ram? I have a pair, they shared 25 malayan amongst themselves....

Anyone want to take them away from me?
    Despite already knowing that I'll lose some shrimps to it, I was still too tempted by the beauty of the golden balloon ram to try it out.

In fact I had posted this before:
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...5&postcount=22
    LOL

Many forums and sites and even the shop claims that these are peaceful fishes good for community tanks.
    The shop even claims that the ram got small mouth and cannot eat shrimps (I know its bull)
    Some threads here warned that rams completely killed off the tank's yamato population or or other shrimps but others will dispute and claim that theirs completely ignored shrimps.

Here's my experiment results:

Thinking that I had enough plants in the tank for shrimps to hide, I got a pair and tried.

Day 1
    Boraras brigittae went into hiding and 1 totally disappeared
    Shrimps also went into hiding
    Rams alway having staring match and tried to bite each other

Day 2 onwards
    Ram shitted "red shit" although I didn't feed anything red...since I didn't see any dead cherry or bits of it, I gave the benefit of the doubt that it was from food fed at the shop.

After a week
    Saw ram actively chasing shrimps that got careless, but always failed.
    Shrimps completely in hiding, cannot see any at all unless I feed and look under the Dwood and other hiding places.

2nd week
    Found the smaller ram dead, with wounds on the side.
    Just when I was fishing the dead ram out, the other ram chased a cherry out of the plants and caught it! I immediately chased it and it let go, but the shrimp already half dead.
    So I decided to sit there and observe (previously I also observed but saw nothing serious)
    The ram soon attacked a Boraras brigittae and forced it to nearly jump out of the tank.

Seems that the ram also learnt how to flush the shrimps out. It soon did so and this time, chased and swallowed an adult cherry whole.
    I tried to get it to spit it out as I can still see the feelers sticking out of the mouth.
    In the end I threw in a floating breeding tank and put the ram into it...only then did it spit out the head of the shrimp. Soon it ate the head as well, ignoring the fact that I had just sentenced it to prison.

The other fishes in the tank (rainbow threadfins, otos and galaxies) and the wood shrimp seems fine, so I can only say that the ram seemed to only attack brightly colored and adult shrimp sized targets.

It also preferred to feed off the substrate than to eat floating or surface food.

So there we have it. Another vote for "Rams eat shrimps".

For those who say they don't, its probably because you didn't see it, or the rams were raised from very young with shrimps in the tank and came to ignore them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have kept clown killies along with cherries and I had no problem with them living together in a 2 foot tank. I have to add that I added alot of tiger lilies which I trained to grow only at 10cm tall, that kind of prevented the killies from coming close to the shrimps all the time.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by enhanzed View Post
    how about cardinals and rummy nose ?
    yeah..i wanna know this....read that cardinals cannot be kept with shrimps...but rummy nose?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

probnably the same, both can grow quite big

they won't disturb the big shrimp but wil eat the shrimplet
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by lEddyl View Post
    how about goldfish?
    Goldfish eat everything! I used to cull guppies by dropping them in my gf tank.

However, I currently have a goldfish tank with cherry shrimps. The shrimps were not intentionally put in... used to be a cherry tank before I put the goldies in. They were baby shrimplets that I did not see and left them behind. All grown up now. Very difficult to see the shrimps though... all hiding under d/w... almost like they are not there in the first place.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123