Images
    Country
    Singapore

Unhappy CRAP! super OD seachem excel on my 200L tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here

I poured my remaining excel into a small cup ( slightly more than 1/3 of a small bottle? ) so that I could dap my sponge and apply it over the stones. I was really rushing it as I was running late and before I knew it whole cup of excel is finished!!!!!!

It was done during a routine water change (50%) and so I thought it could be still be okay if I top up with fresh water.

Today got a call from my sister this morning that 1/2 of the fishes have died and all shrimps decimated... and remaining fishes gasping for air at the surface.

I quickly asked my sister to drop in an air stone...

updated 10 minutes ago... more fishes died...

I guess I've OD probably more than 20 times

never rush something especially dealing with deadly chemicals >.<

I can't wait to get home now...

will the OD harm my beneficial bacterial too?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    To make matter worse, I accidentally adjusted my CO2 output to about 4bps, and I run my system 24/7. Bad day for my fish tank...rip...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry to hear about this. Don't mess with CO2 and Excel. Even when I move it 1BPS up it takes me 1 week of testing and I use a stop watch to accurately test the Bubbles.

BTW: Your Avatar rocks
    - Always Exceptions to the Rules -
    - Explain yourself thoroughly in the forums not just state the obvious -
    - Overkill is the best killing! -

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    will the OD harm my beneficial bacterial too?
    No!

It is the same like getting locked in car and with alot of CO2. First, you get knock out, then u slowly drift away

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry for your loss.

I usually give myself alot of time doing water changes per week, im only half the size of your tank but its takes me an average 2-4 hrs excluding trimming HCs for buyers such as yourself.

You said you poured the excel into a cup ? and dape to stones ? If you are trying to use excel to clear your algae, could easily do it near the sink as oppose to maybe placing the cup near the tank. Just like i wouldnt place concentrated bleach near the tank and thus I have my own "work area" for cleaning stuff.

As to BB, though i know they need oxygen to survive, I am not sure what level of co2 concentration they can tolerate.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for your kind words~

Yes, usually I would take my time to do, but was running so many other errands in a single day.

was back last night to check on the tank. Did a another 50&#37; water change and still continuing the air stone injection.

Actually not all my shrimps died. Yamato all survive along with one cherry and one tiger. Four tigers and one cherry perished.

70% of my rummy nose died along with my two big fat cardinals and two panda cories. All otos survive.

Will check again later.

Thanks for all the concern and advice.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Water is still a tad cloudy.

2 more rummy nose perished yest late afternoon. Else the rest of the fauna seems to be stabilized. Hopefully they can fully recover from the shock.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Bro,

50% water change is it too much?

I was constanly told to change not more the 30%.

Any bro can comment?
    VIPER

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper007 View Post
    Bro,

50% water change is it too much?

I was constanly told to change not more the 30%.

Any bro can comment?
    It really depends on your bioload, plant density and amount of media for BB, and probably water quality also (both aquarium and fresh water). I've been doing 45% to 55% water change for many years with no problems.

The cloudy water I'm experiencing now is probably BB bloom.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by blackBRUSHalgae View Post
    It really depends on your bioload, plant density and amount of media for BB, and probably water quality also (both aquarium and fresh water). I've been doing 45% to 55% water change for many years with no problems.

The cloudy water I'm experiencing now is probably BB bloom.
    IC well maybe different tank the chemistry level is different I guess.
    VIPER

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    when OD, do WC and increase aeration.
    if you had not accidently increase the bps, loss would have been much lesser.

on the brighter side of things, at least you would have nuked your BBA if any.
    Cheers,
    Melvin Lim

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    50&#37; water change should reset the tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I had used 3 full caps of excel in my 2feet tank but all fishes survived and bba and greenspot almost all gone.
    The role of master and servant begin to cloud in the water..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by mordrake View Post
    when OD, do WC and increase aeration.
    if you had not accidently increase the bps, loss would have been much lesser.

on the brighter side of things, at least you would have nuked your BBA if any.
    That is one heavy price to pay just to get rid of BBA. Less light and focus more on the CO2 but slowly. Do not run CO2 24/7.

If you do not have time, just do it when you have and can stay around to make sure that things do not get out of hand.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee View Post
    That is one heavy price to pay just to get rid of BBA. Less light and focus more on the CO2 but slowly. Do not run CO2 24/7.

If you do not have time, just do it when you have and can stay around to make sure that things do not get out of hand.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Yup, plants can regrow, but we can't ress our fauna. The thing with aquascaping is you need to dedicate time to this hobby, and this includes the simpliest of things.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee View Post

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    I never have problems with running CO2 24/7 at even up to 3~4 bps for one of my previous setup. It really boils down to your plant density and bioload.

This routine took me 3 hours even though I'm rushing it. Well I did more than just water change and excel applications though. My biggest mistake was probably overlooked the toxicity of excel and using a sponge for application.

My algae bloom was due to my two sae wiping out all my spikey moss and pulling out my japanese hairgrass, and even my green neon chewing off all my Utricularia graminifolia. When I finally switched them away for rummy nose tetras, all my plants came back flourishing. The only algae left was BBA on the rocks.

But will definitely pay more attention to these things and dedicate more time in research and planning.