Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy PVC piping for DIY (drainage/WC system)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    Are you still keeping killies? I'm trying to do almost exactly the same as you, except that I'm not thinking of implementing the IOS
    Craftsman,
    All those fun stuffs were done during the peak of my hobby and I'm glad I left behind a legacy of sorts. I no longer am obsessed with killie species-maintenance or try too hard to promote killifishes because the audience is really too niche.

I'm now keeping only 3 populations of Chromaphyosemion (Majitam, Ijebu Ode and Tiko) and if you use these words to do a 'search this forum' in Killifish and Non-Killie Segment, you'd probably find the information overwhelming. Killies are fun but they can be addictive.

As for fishroom, it's more like a parrot-room now (something has gotta give; budget or sanity) but for what you want to do, I think the archive will serve you well.

Like I said, ask when in doubt and if you do your homework, I'll try my best to guide you.

Lastly, if you could leave a name, that will be great because nicknames and aging don't mix well.
    Last edited by RonWill; 15th Jan 2009 at 05:08. Reason: typo
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thks bro ankank. Yes... some installers in Singapore use them as electrical conduits. some also use them as airconditioning drainage.

Don't think its electrical conduits as the fittings shown is very obvious. Electrical fitting is integerated with inspection window and cover.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill View Post
    Craftsman,
    All those fun stuffs were done during the peak of my hobby and I'm glad I left behind a legacy of sorts. I no longer am obsessed with killie species-maintenance or try too hard to promote killifishes because the audience is really too niche.

I'm now keeping only 3 populations of Chromaphyosemion (Majitam, Ijebu Ode and Tiko) and if you use these words to do a 'search this forum' in Killifish and Non-Killie Segment, you'd probably find the information overwhelming. Killies are fun but they can be addictive.

As for fishroom, it's more like a parrot-room now (something has gotta give; budget or sanity) but for what you want to do, I think the archive will serve you well.

Like I said, ask when in doubt and if you do your homework, I'll try my best to guide you.

Lastly, if you could leave a name, that will be great because nicknames and aging don't mix well.
    Hi Ronnie, I figured you are probably not so much into Killies now. Now, thats a species of fish I'm scared to get into as the peripheral reading I've done tells me the hatching of these fishes require super human concentration and dedication. (Use of peat moss, wrapping up and keeping, etc) Just think I would be able to keep up. Ha ha ha ha...

I'm just really thinking of an easy Apisto setup. They're beautiful fishes, and quite facinating to watch.

Really do appreciate your help and advice, and my name is Paul. "Craftsman" is a moniker I've been inclined to use for some time now as we are all creative craftsmen to some degree. We learn something new everyday and often work at things to make them things of beauty.

Paul is definitely fine.

Thanks again Ronnie, and it is extremely good to make your acquaintance. Would sound you out if I need advice. I'm also right at the tail end of negotiating a new contract for a new job, so... if that deal comes through, I suspect that this fishroom project would take some time to be fully completed. I'm estimating a slow and steady weekend regime as i slowly setup the room, and to be completed by 3rd or 4th quarter this year. I'll likely just get the plumbing done together with the renovations, and either watch around the forum for suitable racks/tanks, or get them customized through one of the merchants I'm already in contact with.

Projects are really fun, the fact that you get to tinker around with stuff, learning as you move along. Ahh......simply wonderful.
    Last edited by craftsman; 15th Jan 2009 at 06:37.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just drew up a simply diagram to show what I am intending to do...

Drainage of water through individual water pumps in each tank. Pumps on each tier will be group connected to it's own power source, so I can drain each tier separately if I want. Pumps will also be sized appropriately for tanks that are larger/smaller. Water pump is connected to PVC pipes, and drains direct to drain.

Tap water goes into a holding fiber glass tank, probably with a float valve device so that it doe snot overflow. Anti-chlorine and chloramine is administered here. Upon drainage of tank to 10 to 30%, aged water is then pumped from holding tank to various tanks. Again, each tier is segregated with taps so that water change can be performed on individual tiers.

This setup requires monitoring, and is semi-automatic. Thats how I want it. Don't want a fully automatic setup as I still want to spend time with the fishes. Hee..

Last edited by craftsman; 15th Jan 2009 at 14:43.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am green with envy. Lucky you to be able to have the space and, more importantly, the permission to do this.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Paul, nice diagram you've done up. On the surface, looks good but I have a few comments;

Tanks
    Are the assorted dimensions intended for individual units or glass-partitioned 4ft tanks? Is there no provision for pre-drilled tanks with bulkheads or flow-through? In the long run, that can be a life-saver and can open more possibilities for modification as your needs changes.

Submersible pumps
    Try to orientate the pumps' water intake at the top. If not, extend a tubing to where you want the water level to stop. Bottom line is to have the pump still submerged when at the desired level so your pump don't run dry (out of water)

Plumbing - Drain
    If the pumps (on the same tier) are not started simultaneously, discharged water will find the path of least resistance. In the case of the middle tier, water from the 1ft tank will surely flow into the 2ft tank before heading to the down tube. I do not see how water flow from one tier is prevented from entering a lower tier (you need more ball valves).

Plumbing - Intake (from holding tank)
    Taps/ball valves need to be relocated to the beginning of each horizontal run. Having valves in the same line (vertical up tube) will disrupt water delivery to the next higher tier. (eg. if you shut the valve at the 2nd tier, how does water flow to the top?)

Holding tank
    Your setup has a minimum 6ft height and that submersible pump's specification must surpass that overhead. My preference is nothing less than an Eheim.

Airpump/filtration
    If using air-driven sponge filters, get a Hi-blow. The model #20 is a nice capable pump for that setup or a #40 if you plan to install more racks but remember to bleed off the excess. Nothing kills that pump faster than constant back pressure.

Rack
    If you're into the hobby for the long haul, consider stainless steel or chengai wood racks. These are good investment and will probably last longer than your interest

Maintenance
    Allow for disassembly of the discharge manifold, using threaded or union connectors, in the event you need to carry out general cleaning, clearing a clog or further modifications.

Electrical safety
    Based on your diagram, there is no less than 14 pumps, excluding lighting. Plan your wiring, AC points and avoid overload. Water & electricity is a lethal combo.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head. Have fun at the drawing board.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by fisherw View Post
    ...more importantly, the permission to do this.
    I don't understand why guys are lamenting over permissions. Not like we're one lot of MCPs but if one need permission for hobbies that keep the man happy at home (rather than clubbing elsewhere) then one need to reconsider before proposing or have options for hobbies to be included in pre-nuptial contracts .
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Many thanks Ronnie for your valuable comments. Many of them raise issues that did not yet cross my mind. Some comments and questions below....

Hi Paul, nice diagram you've done up. On the surface, looks good but I have a few comments;

Tanks
    Are the assorted dimensions intended for individual units or glass-partitioned 4ft tanks? Is there no provision for pre-drilled tanks with bulkheads or flow-through? In the long run, that can be a life-saver and can open more possibilities for modification as your needs changes.
    I intend to get 4ft tanks and partition them. Customised likely. Uh.. I need your help here to explain what you mean by bulkheads. By flow-through, I assume you mean that each partitioned tank shares the same water? and that water flows through all the tanks to an overflow by the side of the tank? If this is what you mean, I've always had the question of the spreading of diseases, etc. Is this a concern?

Submersible pumps
    Try to orientate the pumps' water intake at the top. If not, extend a tubing to where you want the water level to stop. Bottom line is to have the pump still submerged when at the desired level so your pump don't run dry (out of water)
    Yes, Ronnie. I intend to do that, so that the pumps stay submerged.

Plumbing - Drain
    If the pumps (on the same tier) are not started simultaneously, discharged water will find the path of least resistance. In the case of the middle tier, water from the 1ft tank will surely flow into the 2ft tank before heading to the down tube. I do not see how water flow from one tier is prevented from entering a lower tier (you need more ball valves).
    Pumps at each tier will be started simultaneously. But I agree on the I didn't see that the top tier drainage would flow into middle tier tanks at all! I will revise the drawing to include extra valves.

Plumbing - Intake (from holding tank)
    Taps/ball valves need to be relocated to the beginning of each horizontal run. Having valves in the same line (vertical up tube) will disrupt water delivery to the next higher tier. (eg. if you shut the valve at the 2nd tier, how does water flow to the top?)
    Agree! Will revise.

Holding tank
    Your setup has a minimum 6ft height and that submersible pump's specification must surpass that overhead. My preference is nothing less than an Eheim.
    ok. Eheim it will be.

Airpump/filtration
    If using air-driven sponge filters, get a Hi-blow. The model #20 is a nice capable pump for that setup or a #40 if you plan to install more racks but remember to bleed off the excess. Nothing kills that pump faster than constant back pressure.
    Thanks for the recommendation. But.. how do you know how much is actually excess?

Rack
    If you're into the hobby for the long haul, consider stainless steel or chengai wood racks. These are good investment and will probably last longer than your interest
    Thinking of iron racks. Stainless steel will set me back quite abit. but will seriously consider this.

Maintenance
    Allow for disassembly of the discharge manifold, using threaded or union connectors, in the event you need to carry out general cleaning, clearing a clog or further modifications.
    Noted Ronnie. Good advise!

Electrical safety
    Based on your diagram, there is no less than 14 pumps, excluding lighting. Plan your wiring, AC points and avoid overload. Water & electricity is a lethal combo.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head. Have fun at the drawing board.
    Will get the electricals properly designed during my renovation so that the consumption requirements will be fully factored in.

Thanks again very much Ronnie. Your comments really helps in gelling my thoughts together.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by fisherw View Post
    I am green with envy. Lucky you to be able to have the space and, more importantly, the permission to do this.
    Its not too much space bro.. Its gonna be in my study room, and will probably take one full wall. I'm glad my wife is very understanding, and I'm sure yours would be too, if properly explained.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't understand why guys are lamenting over permissions. Not like we're one lot of MCPs but if one need permission for hobbies that keep the man happy at home (rather than clubbing elsewhere) then one need to reconsider before proposing or have options for hobbies to be included in pre-nuptial contracts .
    Its a new and different generation we are in Ronnie. I sometimes spend too much time in front of the tank and forget that my wife has 3 screaming kids wanting her attention all at once as their daddy is stuck to the tank. Thats wrong on my part, but it highlights the fact that it doesn't take alot to neglect the family. Even though one could be home, his heart may not be completely on his family.

I think thats a balance I need to perfect.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh... by the way, the deal on the new house was just concluded this evening. Will be getting all the paper work done in the next couple of days.

Ah.. anyone looking for a 4A HDB apartment in the hougang area? I need to sell mine now. Wahahahahahahahaha

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Paul,
    I'm at work.. here's the quickie answers.

Bulkheads are PVC fittings that are used in pre-drilled tanks. It is usually cut at the water level that you want to maintain. The fittings will also allow you to fit pipes for drainage and elbows to further adjust the water level (or rig a surface skimmer... possibilities are limited only by your imagination).

Flow-through, as it's name implies, flows from one end to the other OR water output from a spray bar entering all partitions simultaneously and exiting via a gap at the partition's lower edge (like in the IOS setup I linked previously). Either way, it shares the same water and yes, you must be diligent in maintaining good water and disease control. Individually sealed partitions, with bulkheads at the rear for centralized drainage is the safest bet.

"But.. how do you know how much is actually excess?"
    You obviously want to avoid aeration that resemble water boiling in a pot. The perfect amount is what you require for the filters to work. Tune the bleed valve to your needs. Tip: fit an air-stone after the bleed line to reduce hissing noise.

"Will get the electricals properly designed during my renovation so that the consumption requirements will be fully factored in"
    While you're doing that, see how you can protect the power strips from accidental water splashes.

I just remembered something... for the float valve in your holding tank, try reading "I'm wet", "I'm coming..." (it isn't what you think but I like what you're thinking!)
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I think you should start a new thread on your whole set up process if possible. i believe many people would be really interested in this "one wall space" set up. i myself might do a similar set up in years to come when my current fish room is due to be decommisioned.
    Fish Room Inventory
    Plecos : L333, L400, L144, Corydoras black venezuela, Royal whiptail

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by weiquan View Post
    I think you should start a new thread on your whole set up process if possible. i believe many people would be really interested in this "one wall space" set up. i myself might do a similar set up in years to come when my current fish room is due to be decommisioned.
    Hi Wei Quan,
    Yes. I will start a new thread nearer to the time I am setting up the tanks. This, like I mentioned to Ronnie, might be a slightly longer term project, maybe over a few months/quarters.
    I'm workign through some paper work to complete the purchase of my new place, and I need to sell my current place too. Once they are done, I will be going through the renovation, which is about the time I work in the plumbing for the tank. So, maybe in March, I will start a new thread with pictures for the new fish room.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Paul,
    I just remembered something... for the float valve in your holding tank, try reading "I'm wet", "I'm coming..." (it isn't what you think but I like what you're thinking!)
    Ronnie, you're witty, I find that very engaging!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Paul,
    In the DIY canister filter thread by Medicineman, have a closer look at the PVC fittings.

You can use these fittings for bulkheads!!! Now it's quite obvious how an elbow can be tilted or extended to adjust the water level in the tank [imagine that the elbow part is inside the tank].

Wrap fine filter sponge over the elbow (inlet) and you have a surface skimmer, plus a fry-proof pre-filter!

Now you can go back to your drawing board and have fun losing more hair
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Paul,
    In the DIY canister filter thread by Medicineman, have a closer look at the PVC fittings.

You can use these fittings for bulkheads!!! Now it's quite obvious how an elbow can be tilted or extended to adjust the water level in the tank [imagine that the elbow part is inside the tank].

Wrap fine filter sponge over the elbow (inlet) and you have a surface skimmer, plus a fry-proof pre-filter!

Now you can go back to your drawing board and have fun losing more hair
    Yeah.. have been reading his thread. And thanks alot for throwing more evil ideas my way.

I think the truth is probably that there are endless ways to improve a setup. The best way is to probably put together a setup that can "scale" as we call it in IT lingo.

I don't particularly look forward to losing more hair than I already have!!!! Thank you! Propecia doesn't exactly come cheap! Ha ha ha ha ha

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just came back from a hardware store on Jalan Jurong Kechil with the following:

- 1 metre 15mm PVC pipe x 2
    - 1 metre 32mm PVC pipe x 1
    - 15mm elbows x 5
    - 15mm T-joint x 1
    - 15mm end cap x 1
    - 32mm end cap x 1
    - PVC Glue x 1 can

Will start on the overflow DIY when I get home tonight. Pictures to follow if successful.
    Last edited by craftsman; 24th Jan 2009 at 07:39.
    Paul Apisto Noobie

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just came back from a hardware store on Jalan Jurong Kechil
    Not bad huh in Jurong hor
    VIPER

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper007 View Post