Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by JadeIceGreen View Post

The fall effect is what I was aiming at, "tension" but I dun know if you see it that way. Sanzon Iwagumi is to use three rocks of different sizes to play against one another, no support rocks are suppose to be added. It looks weird now, but the plants will tie everything together. I think that is the beauty of Iwagumi, the rocks can't do without the plants, the plants can't do without the rocks, everything comes together to present a unify scape.

great explaination. you really did your homework before attempting a scape.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    where do you get the rock from? do they still have stock?
    I got my rocks from http://www.mizuworld.com/index.php?t...t&group_id=188.

Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
    great explaination. you really did your homework before attempting a scape.
    Thanks for the compliment Evo.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Another Update.

The substrate is sprayed down with water to wet the surface first before introducing water into the substrate. This prevents the surface from running when the rest of the substrate gets wet, thus not spoiling your scape.

Water is then added slowly via an air tube till it reaches the top of the substrate. This helps in planting as a saturated substrate is easier to plant when compared to a dry one. Also, do not fill up the whole tank until planting is done.

I am a firm believer of how everything contributes to a scape. Equipment, plants and design all are part of a scape, not just what is in the tank. As with the theme of Sanzon Iwagumi, 3 rocks, 3 layers of soil, 3 types of plants, 3 lights and 3 glass tubes (eventually) leading into the tank. Takashi Amano stresses the importance of odd numbers in an Iwagumi scape. Odd numbers are pleasing to the eye and an Iwagumi scape is one of calm tension and zen, where everything is balanced aganist one another in a unified peace.

My foreground plant, Glosso.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Mind telling me which one is your tallest rock? Also can you measure the leght and with of your tallest rock?

Thank you
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Mind telling me which one is your tallest rock? Also can you measure the leght and with of your tallest rock?

Thank you
    Hey Bro, my biggest rock is the M size, its 15cm tall.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Glosso! If this batch don't grow well or you don't have enough, let me know. Mine are overgrown Need to trim before CNY.

You can actually plant them alittle deeper. The direction of the cut joints will determine where they will start growing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ghim View Post
    Glosso! If this batch don't grow well or you don't have enough, let me know. Mine are overgrown Need to trim before CNY.

You can actually plant them alittle deeper. The direction of the cut joints will determine where they will start growing.
    Thanks for the offer! And I'll take note of your suggestion.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Update again!
    More photos, less talk!

Planting is done! Foreground filled with Glosso, and the background a mix of Eleocharis parvula and Eleocharis Vivipar.

You can see the three layers of substrate.

Water is being filled out slowly through an air tube, all 20 litres.

This was shot immediately after the water was filled up, the filter is not connected to the tank yet. This proves that ADA substrate does not cause your water to turn muddy, as alot of people have been saying, I guess it all depends on your care when first filling your tank with water.

Now the hard part, gonna see how it grows. I will update you guys, starting tomorrow morning, on water parameters that I will be taking on a daily basis.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

...This was shot immediately after the water was filled up, the filter is not connected to the tank yet. This proves that ADA substrate does not cause your water to turn muddy, as alot of people have been saying, I guess it all depends on your care when first filling your tank with water....
    There is a reason behind why Amazonia II will not cloud as compare to Amazonia I, for some reason ... which is bad.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Very very nice Bro! Hope to see more updates soon, especially your thoughts on how your chiller is running, water temperature, fauna, etc.

Update again!

Now the hard part, gonna see how it grows. I will update you guys, starting tomorrow morning, on water parameters that I will be taking on a daily basis.
    Paul Apisto Noobie

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by blue33 View Post
    There is a reason behind why Amazonia II will not cloud as compare to Amazonia I, for some reason ... which is bad.
    Wah.. Adrian, so serious ah? So u think Amazonia II must ad extra ferts?
    Paul Apisto Noobie

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by blue33 View Post
    Hmm, from what I know, Amazonia II is exactly the same as Amazonia I except that it is supposed to bring down your PH more than Amazonia I. I dun think there is any nutrient difference between them. But I may be wrong so we will have to wait for ADA SG to reply or any other bros that know what is the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    Very very nice Bro! Hope to see more updates soon, especially your thoughts on how your chiller is running, water temperature, fauna, etc.
    Thanks Bro for your compliment, will be updating every day.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    here we go, the different between Amazonia and Amazonia II

-Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

I dun think there is any nutrient difference between them. But I may be wrong so we will have to wait for ADA SG to reply or any other bros that know what is the difference.
    Isaac, this is supposed to be your aquascaping thread. Not a ADA answer session. But anyway, will answer the differences.

Amazonia II was designed to fix the problem of yellow water and/or cloudy water observed by many hobbyists. This problem was found to be due to tap water with high pH values causing precipitation of the nutrients in the Amazonia I soil.

So to rectify the problem, they changed the formulation of the soil. Less organic material is added into the soil during the processing chain. Comparing the nutrient level, Amazonia II has lower amounts compared to Amazonia I, according to ADA Japan.

Now for the scape, we would suggest planting more glosso. This will increase the speed which the lawn will be formed and also provide more plant mass.
    Biotope Services Pte Ltd
    Company Registered address: 10 Anson Road #09-17 Singapore 079903
    Contact Number: 9188 3523 /9799 7576
    Biz Registration: 200800845H
    www.adana.com.sg
    ADA Sales: [email protected]
    Product enquiries: [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    here we go, the different between Amazonia and Amazonia II
    Thanks bro for that! Very interesting..

Quote Originally Posted by ADA SG View Post
    Isaac, this is supposed to be your aquascaping thread. Not a ADA answer session. But anyway, will answer the differences.

Amazonia II was designed to fix the problem of yellow water and/or cloudy water observed by many hobbyists. This problem was found to be due to tap water with high pH values causing precipitation of the nutrients in the Amazonia I soil.

So to rectify the problem, they changed the formulation of the soil. Less organic material is added into the soil during the processing chain. Comparing the nutrient level, Amazonia II has lower amounts compared to Amazonia I, according to ADA Japan.

Now for the scape, we would suggest planting more glosso. This will increase the speed which the lawn will be formed and also provide more plant mass.
    Sorry about that! We are not clear on ADA's soil and you are the best authority to answer them.

Thanks for the tips about the glosso, I am gonna cut some of the longer ones that have grown out of the original leaves I have planted and replant them.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi Isaac,

I read this thread with great interest and you have done your homework.

I find Iwagumi Sanzon is very strict and perhaps too severe for some. The three stones look good but I do feel the main stone should have a wider base to reach out to the 2nd largest stone. I suggest you move the main stone slightly to the right and tilt it down slightly. [or cheat with a small piece to fill the gap!]

You might also want to consider the view from the top. Right now the smallest and biggest stone are arranged almost in a row. It would perhaps be better to move the smallest stone closer to the front.

As for the plants, it as ADA Sg says, plant denser and you will get faster results as the tank stabilises. I'm wondering if HC would be better suited to this size tank as the leaves are smaller and would give a slightly bigger illusion of depth.

So sorry to comment so much and ignore if you don't agree. I hope you succeed in your vision for this tank. All the best!
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by StanChung View Post
    Hi Isaac,

I read this thread with great interest and you have done your homework.

I find Iwagumi Sanzon is very strict and perhaps too severe for some. The three stones look good but I do feel the main stone should have a wider base to reach out to the 2nd largest stone. I suggest you move the main stone slightly to the right and tilt it down slightly. [or cheat with a small piece to fill the gap!]

You might also want to consider the view from the top. Right now the smallest and biggest stone are arranged almost in a row. It would perhaps be better to move the smallest stone closer to the front.

As for the plants, it as ADA Sg says, plant denser and you will get faster results as the tank stabilises. I'm wondering if HC would be better suited to this size tank as the leaves are smaller and would give a slightly bigger illusion of depth.

So sorry to comment so much and ignore if you don't agree. I hope you succeed in your vision for this tank. All the best!
    Hey Stan,

What you have mentioned is all true. The main stone's base is a little too thin but so far I'm okay with it as I wanted a sharper looking rock. I do agree that the gap between the first and second stone is too wide, however I did it this way so that it will be come a secondary focal point with that space. I am hoping the plants will grow well in that gap fill it up. I can't move any hardscape now as everything is planted and I do not want to disturb the soil, so that is sad.

I am also starting to see why glosso may be a bad idea as its leaves may not be small enough. I have quite a bit of growth so I am gonna cut off some of the glosso that have grown runners and replant them.

In spite of all my mistakes, I've learnt a lot from everyone's valuable comments and I believe my next iwagumi will be better. I will continue to go forward with this current scape and lets see where we end up at. Exciting!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In spite of all my mistakes, I've learnt a lot from everyone's valuable comments and I believe my next iwagumi will be better. I will continue to go forward with this current scape and lets see where we end up at. Exciting!
    That's the spirit Never stop trying

Your patience in planting the individual Glosso plantlet is admirable

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Another update!

Alright, this update is all about what I've been doing as daily maintenance for the last three days since planting was completed, my fert regime and more equipment details so if you are interested, read on!

My daily fert regime consist of ADA Green Brightly Step 1 and ADA Brightly K. I have used these liquid ferts before and I swear by them, in my opinion, ADA's ferts are the best of all ADA products.

Green Brightly Step 1 is for a scape from it infancy to 3 months of age. Its main purpose is to provide in sufficient quantity, trace elements, in a balanced manner to promote and encourage young plants to grow.

Brightly K mainly provides potassium that is used in conjunction with Green Brightly Step 1. It also serves a secondary function as a neutralizer for chlorine but I'm not sure if it does also for chloramine so I am still using seachem prime as my primary water conditioner.

Both ferts are dosed at 1ml daily.

My chiller runs about 8-9 hours a day and I have set it at the 180 watts setting. Temperature hovers between 24.3 and 25.8 and my electrical bill will be about 10 to 12 dollars a month extra. Ironically, if my tank was double in size, I may actually use less electricity due to the fact that 20 litres, being of such a small amount of water, picks up heat rapidly when the chiller is on standby.

Inlet and outlet pipes are placed in such a way that forms an effective current around the whole tank eliminating dead spots. CO2 is dispensed via a glass diffuser and is placed under the outlet to ride the water current at its strongest.

Another spot to place a CO2 diffuser is directly across the outlet on the other side of the tank. I could not use this spot as my drop checker is placed nearby and in a small tank like mine, its not recommended to place your CO2 diffuser on the same side of your drop checker as the readings will not be accurate.

For the first few weeks, I will be overdosing CO2 as there are no fauna yet. Current dosage is 1.5 bubbles per second.

I test for PH, GH, KH, NO2 & NH3/NH4 on a daily basis. It helps me judge when my can fauna arrive, my filter's status and if I need to do more water change. I personally feel that for 20 litres, it is imperative that testing must be done regularly as the worse can happen within a few hours. I usually test 15 mins before the end of my photo period, this gives an accurate result on the outcome of the plants' work for the day just before they go to bed.

Day 1 Readings
    PH – 6.0
    GH – 10
    KH – 2
    NO2 – 0.25
    NH3/NH4 – 8

Day 2 Readings
    PH – 6.2
    GH – 10
    KH – 3
    NO2 – 0.25
    NH3/NH4 – 8

As you can see, GH readings are super high because of the extra CO2 that I am pumping in, Ammonia readings are incredibly scary but its common just after two days. PH has risen by 0.2. 6 litres of water is changed everyday after the photo period to remove the day's extra nutrients.

As I am writing this, its day 3 and a few more hours to the next testing. But what I am happy is that so far, there is no algae and hopefully it stays this way. The amount of algae will be a real test as to how effective the 500ml of activated carbon that I have in my filter is. 2ml of Seachem Stability is also added at each water change to help establish my biological filter.

Glosso has shown growth after 3 days but all the growth have been leggy. I know that everyone has said that 3 x 9 watts will be enough but I keep thinking about bro blue33's insight that a 27 watts light set is different when compared to 3 x 9 watts lightsets although wattage is the same. So, I went back to petmart today and got another 9 watts, so its now 36 watts. Hopefully this will keep the glosso down and if its too much light, I can always remove the extra 9 watts.

I will be purning all the extra leaves that have grown on top of the original ones that I planted and will replant them, making my lawn denser by artificial methods as some bros have wisely adviced me. Thanks to all for that!

All in all, I am quite pleased with the growth after 3 days.

Last edited by JadeIceGreen; 19th Jan 2009 at 19:50.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    That's the spirit Never stop trying

Your patience in planting the individual Glosso plantlet is admirable
    Thanks Bro! Means alot.
    I am always very encouraged by you when you try out so many different scapes with all those superb equipment. You are my hero!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast