Country
    Brazil
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Nice tank, with nice accessories.
    Keep us updated.
    I'd put more little smaller stones around the bigger ones to let the layout more natural.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    forget about CO2 measurement using pH and kH. ADA Aquasoil is effecting your water pH and kH thus the table no longer accurate.

If you want to check whether you mix the drop checker properly or not, you can take it out and put it outside your tank for couple hours. It should turn to blue. By the way did you use kH = 4 solution for your drop checker?
    I read about adding KH 4 solution to the drop checker, do you know where I can buy this solution? I know Green Leaf Aquarium sells them up that is in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by StanChung View Post
    My drop checker is for show only. [the first piece of glass from ADA I bought 3 years ago. Once you start you can't stop. Ouch!]

I just noticed you started CO2 already and if you really need to test, test the pH before CO2 is supplied and 1/2 hour after it's supplied. Should not drop more than 1 pH point.

Have you got a Speed Controller G? I find it useful for fine tuning CO2 bubble count.
    I know what you mean, my drop checker is the first and I am already seriously thinking of adding the mini version of the diffuser, inlet and outlet lily pipes. A question that I have about glass lily pipes is that how do you remove the plastic hoses when you want to clean those pipes? Won't you break them as eheim pipes and plastic tubes take a lot of effort to pull out.

Quote Originally Posted by ghim View Post
    Very innovative for using the outlet pipe like a lily pipe. I just gotten a nano CAL set, but still have not install it. Seems like they are the only one with a gap big enough for 8mm nano tank.

You guys are really tempting people to try out this kind scape I shall rescape my 1ft to Iwagumi. Now to hunt for rocks!

For nano tank, even at 1 bps CO2, the drop checker will show yellow very fast. But it takes quite a long time to show the actual color. You can always pour away the liquid and add new solution.
    Yeah, at least now I know the drop checker is not accurate. I am always tempted to change the solutions but its all cost! The tiny bottle of PH regent won't last too long if I keep doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutokoro View Post
    Nice tank, with nice accessories.
    Keep us updated.
    I'd put more little smaller stones around the bigger ones to let the layout more natural.
    It is a Sanzon Iwagumi, I am limited to 3 stones. But I do hope I have the chance to do another type of Iwagumi in the future where I can use more stones. Thanks for joining us along on this ride, I am happy you are enjoying yourself.
    Last edited by JadeIceGreen; 21st Jan 2009 at 01:12.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Okay, I know Aqua Soil is messing around with my PH so my drop checker is sort of cheating on me at the moment and a test using KH and PH won't really be accurate.

But, as I did a CO2 test a few hours ago after 18 hours of zero CO2 injection and 3 hours of surface agitation, at least I have something of a benchmark.

This was the earlier test,
    pH 6.8
    KH
    2°/35.71 ppm
    CO2 level
    9.51 ppm approximately

5 hours later at the end of my photoperiod and a bubble rate of 1 per second, this is the results.
    pH 6.2
    KH
    2°/35.71 ppm
    CO2 level
    37.86 ppm approximately

PH fell by 0.6 due to the CO2 so at least I can see a rise in the CO2 level. I dun know how accurate is the 37.86 ppm but at least there has been an increase and an average gauge of my CO2 levels.

Here are my other test results for Day 4.
    PH – 6.2
    GH - Did not test.
    KH – 2
    NO2 – 0.8
    NH3/NH4 – 6

What is very interesting and significant is that NH3/NH4 is going down and at the very same time, NO2 is going up. That can only mean one thing, Nitrosomonas bacteria has come alive and the nitrogen cycle has started!!! All thanks to the heavy dosing of Seachem Stability in the last 4 days and my wonderful Bio Rio.
    Last edited by JadeIceGreen; 21st Jan 2009 at 01:11.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    A beautiful art in the making. Thanks for doing the step by step photo intensive method. Really learn alot from you and about ADA product. (You can be a ADA spokes person)

By the way, can you pm me the pricing for the chiller... My tank recently added a UV system and the temp went up to 26.2 I hope to bring down to about 24.5 - 25 degrees. Thanks
    VIPER

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper007 View Post
    A beautiful art in the making. Thanks for doing the step by step photo intensive method. Really learn alot from you and about ADA product. (You can be a ADA spokes person)

By the way, can you pm me the pricing for the chiller... My tank recently added a UV system and the temp went up to 26.2 I hope to bring down to about 24.5 - 25 degrees. Thanks
    Thanks for following along! I am learning a lot too from all the bros here so its a real pleasure to share my journey with everyone. Nah, I dun know enough of ADA, I dun even own everything that ADA has although that is my life's dream which I hope to fulfill at 62. LOL.

This is the website for the chiller, http://www.cblue.com.tw/english/cs049%20eng.htm.
    At medium setting it runs at 120 watts, at high setting it runs at 160 watts. I have pmed you the price.

What I love about this chiller is that its small and virtually quiet. My tank is in my bedroom so I am constantly amazed that it is so quiet. But I suspect it is not as energy efficient as a normal compressor chiller, so if you have space and dun mind some noise, a compressor chiller may save more cash in the end.

I have estimated that this chiller, operating non-stop for a total of 9 hours a day, will cost me about 11 dollars a month based on our current electrical tariff.

Hope all this information has been of help!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    For lily pipes, soak the plastic hose with hot water. Do this when putting it in and taking out the lily pipe. And please handle with care. Forcing it like a plastic pipe will break it. That's what happened to my brother's nano lily pipe

I am looking for clear plastic hose. Any chance you seen before? I know ADA has it, but not sure if it is available in Singapore.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by JadeIceGreen
    It is a Sanzon Iwagumi, I am limited to 3 stones. But I do hope I have the chance to do another type of Iwagumi in the future where I can use more stones. Thanks for joining us along on this ride, I am happy you are enjoying yourself.
    Hmmm... Living and learning, thanks for the explanation!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ghim View Post
    For lily pipes, soak the plastic hose with hot water. Do this when putting it in and taking out the lily pipe. And please handle with care. Forcing it like a plastic pipe will break it. That's what happened to my brother's nano lily pipe

I am looking for clear plastic hose. Any chance you seen before? I know ADA has it, but not sure if it is available in Singapore.
    Last I asked, they dun have the clear hose here in Singapore. Anyway, you can get a clear hose in a hardware shop, its much cheaper too!
    Can I use boiling hot water, or will the hose melt?

Quote Originally Posted by Gutokoro View Post
    Hmmm... Living and learning, thanks for the explanation!
    No problem.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by JadeIceGreen View Post
    Thanks for following along! I am learning a lot too from all the bros here so its a real pleasure to share my journey with everyone. Nah, I dun know enough of ADA, I dun even own everything that ADA has although that is my life's dream which I hope to fulfill at 62. LOL.

Hope all this information has been of help!
    Thanks Bro, for the quick responds on the chiller........ Wow owning the complete ADA is everybodies dream (I mean almost all.... other then Eheim). Well, the best place to buy ADA is unfortunately not in Singapore but in HK like what bro blue had mention in some other threads.

Cross finger that the disty here will lower the pricing in time to come.
    VIPER

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Bro, for the quick responds on the chiller........ Wow owning the complete ADA is everybodies dream (I mean almost all.... other then Eheim). Well, the best place to buy ADA is unfortunately not in Singapore but in HK like what bro blue had mention in some other threads.

Cross finger that the disty here will lower the pricing in time to come.
    What you say is true. ADA prices in Singapore are quite expensive compared to the prices in nearby countries. I may get my hands on a lobang soon, will update you guys if it happens.

*crossing my fingers!*

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    What you say is true. ADA prices in Singapore are quite expensive compared to the prices in nearby countries. I may get my hands on a lobang soon, will update you guys if it happens.

*crossing my fingers!*
    Will certainly hope you can get it... I'm also thinking of going full ADA.... What's stopping me is scare interest will not last, I have been in this forum since 2003 and stop in end 2004....... Now thanks to craftsman I'm back again! And secondly ADA pricing in spore is way too X.
    VIPER

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I find that not neccessary to use full ADA in the first place unless you have deep poscket, you should put more effort on Aquascape and getting it to the higher level first before you consider full ADA or so, like wise like trimming tools such as scissors and so can consider ADA as they are really good. I've seen people go full ADA but in the end, nothing great done on the tank itself. IMO. Maybe i should keep my mouth shut also.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    And secondly ADA pricing in spore is way too X.
    yeah, my pocket not deep enough to buy ADA product except for the Aquasoil
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Quality products does not make your tank looks great if you don't scape properly. It just makes the success rate higher

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Last I asked, they dun have the clear hose here in Singapore. Anyway, you can get a clear hose in a hardware shop, its much cheaper too!
    Can I use boiling hot water, or will the hose melt?...
    Those normal hose, you should use a fastener to tie it, you dont want to see your house flooded, they are not like Eheim hose which can long terms of holding. Thats why they are much more expensive than the normal one.

Get a cup of hot water, dip it and immediately push it in before it cools down. Fasten it with plastic fastener.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi Isaac,

You should measure an hour after the CO2 comes on as well.
    The graph should read peak pH level before CO2 is injected[together with lights on] and begin to drop once it's supplied, drop to the lowest point and rise again as the plants start to use the CO2.

I forgot to add in my earlier post that Brighty K is alkaline. It helps keep the acidity down if dosed daily for new setups. Old setups like mine I skip a day or two since I'm lazy.

To remove hose, I cut a small slit on the hose about 0.5-1 cm, with a little bending & pull it will come out easily yet not come off easily when in use.
    Some say to push in the then pull out. I tried before but didn't work.
    I just cleaned my Cal Aqualabs diffuser yesterday and I was very afraid to break it.[dup dup, dup dup-heartbeat sound] Safely done-phew! I've broken two ADA diffusers before-Beetle 50 and the nano version so this was indeed a tense moment.

Speed controller G is a device to control the CO2 flowrate. Install it in series after your solenoid/needle valve and before the bubble counter/check valve. Turn the metal knob to increase or decrease the CO2. Much more easier to adjust than the stiff solenoid needle valve. Note: It will not work if you don't turn up the CO2 from the needle valve a little bit. I bought 3 but damaged one with a plier. ID ten T error.

------

'Olbies' like me who are already long into the hobby who have seen a lot and already despise DIY and shoddy made things.
    Of course one cannot pursue this hobby without money and one must always have something to target for. For starters as Blue says, you can always try out with modest kits and later on upgrade once you have the skills but no harm diving right in if you can afford it. ADA system is made for newbies[albeit richer ones]. Use to be difficult because we didn't understand Japanese and how it's meant to be used but not so anymore.
    I used to rescape and move rocks around in my Aquasoil setup before realising MUCH LATER I was dealing with soil pellets! DOH!
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Speed controller G is a device to control the CO2 flowrate. Install it in series after your solenoid/needle valve and before the bubble counter/check valve. Turn the metal knob to increase or decrease the CO2. Much more easier to adjust than the stiff solenoid needle valve. Note: It will not work if you don't turn up the CO2 from the needle valve a little bit. I bought 3 but damaged one with a plier. ID ten T error.
    I thought you use needle valve to control the CO2 flowrate? This Speed controller G sound like another needle valve. New needle valve is not that stiff, in fact I found it too lose. I preferred the older/stiff model, few time I accidentally turn my needle valve just by touching it.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I understand where Blue and Shadow are coming from and I completely agree that buying ADA products does not guarantee you a successful scape. Glassware are equipment that just add to the overall appeal to the scape but no matter how beautiful your glassware are, your scape will still depend on your creativity and ingenuity.

But to bring up a point that I've said earlier, I also believe that all equipment that are attached to a tank are also part of the scape. And as my tank sits on my desk in my bedroom, it is important for me, personally, to have equipment that are beautiful yet serve their purpose. That is why I invested in 4 Arcadia Arc Pods when I can easily get a 36 watt light set for a third of that price. I take my aquascapes seriously, I know I am nowhere near pro, and that will take time, patience and hard work. Good pro equipment, money can buy but not creative talent. So with whatever I can spare for my hobby, I will get what is value for money. All my "expensive" items I bought them during clearance sales. I do not get any ADA glassware at retail prices, I only get ADA stuff when a special price comes around.

Having said all that, I would also love to support ADA as much as I can because they are the pioneer of so many aquarium equipment that we take for granted today. All of us have a budget for this hobby, no matter great or small, the importance will always be the aquascape and our passion to improve and re-create nature.

Short Update

CO2 test was taken at 1340, 5 mins to CO2 injection and 20 mins to the start of Day 5's photoperiod.
    Here is the result.

pH 6.6
    KH 2°/35.71 ppm
    CO2 level
    15.07 ppm approximately

As per Stan's suggestion, I will do another CO2 test around 1500.

One good news that I have is that after installing a 4th Arcadia Arc Pod that brings my total lighting wattage to 36 watts, my glosso has started to spread closer to the ground. Vivipara has also recieved their first trim last night as they grew an additional 7cm in the first 3 days.
    Last edited by JadeIceGreen; 21st Jan 2009 at 14:38.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Isaac,

You should measure an hour after the CO2 comes on as well.
    The graph should read peak pH level before CO2 is injected[together with lights on] and begin to drop once it's supplied, drop to the lowest point and rise again as the plants start to use the CO2.

I forgot to add in my earlier post that Brighty K is alkaline. It helps keep the acidity down if dosed daily for new setups. Old setups like mine I skip a day or two since I'm lazy.

To remove hose, I cut a small slit on the hose about 0.5-1 cm, with a little bending & pull it will come out easily yet not come off easily when in use.
    Some say to push in the then pull out. I tried before but didn't work.
    I just cleaned my Cal Aqualabs diffuser yesterday and I was very afraid to break it.[dup dup, dup dup-heartbeat sound] Safely done-phew! I've broken two ADA diffusers before-Beetle 50 and the nano version so this was indeed a tense moment.

------

'Olbies' like me who are already long into the hobby who have seen a lot and already despise DIY and shoddy made things.
    Of course one cannot pursue this hobby without money and one must always have something to target for. For starters as Blue says, you can always try out with modest kits and later on upgrade once you have the skills but no harm diving right in if you can afford it. ADA system is made for newbies[albeit richer ones]. Use to be difficult because we didn't understand Japanese and how it's meant to be used but not so anymore.
    I used to rescape and move rocks around in my Aquasoil setup before realising MUCH LATER I was dealing with soil pellets! DOH!
    Yup! I am using Brightly K on a daily basis, very glad to hear that it helps with the PH.

For the clear tube, do you cut the slit before the first time on insertion into the lily pipe or only when you want to remove them from the lily pipe?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Will certainly hope you can get it... I'm also thinking of going full ADA.... What's stopping me is scare interest will not last, I have been in this forum since 2003 and stop in end 2004....... Now thanks to craftsman I'm back again! And secondly ADA pricing in spore is way too X.
    Hey.. dun blame me lah! I dun dare to answer your CO.

You make your own decision one hor!
    Paul Apisto Noobie

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast