Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: A new alternative to kill those darn BGA!!!

Feedback Score

A new alternative to kill those darn BGA!!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Folks,

i think i might have found a new alternative to kill those nasty BGA.

As i had just found out that BGA are actually bacteria rather than algae (from the expert ppl in the forum). And as with any bacteria most of them can be tackle by a dose of antibiotics.

i forget the name of the recomended antibiotic by fellow aquarist...anyhow antiboitics are actually controlled substance in spore, and is not readily available on the shelves.

Then i remember during my arowana keeping days...i had to do a minor gill surgery to my red. my fren recommended me to apply this "japanese yellow powder" that comes in a silver packaging with a picture of a koi & a gold fish (it cost $1.50 and is readily available in any LFS), to the fresh cuts area of the fish. he commented that the powder is actually a mild antibiotics known as tetracycline to prevent infection.

Hell, i was really desprate then, as my tank was 70% infested with BGA. Without much thought i took out the animals & filter (antibiotics kill BB too) in my tank, and dump the "Jap yellow powder" (the whole sache) into my 2ft tank...guess what, my tank gave out that strong BGA smell just minutes after introduction. I left the tank overnight and was glad to see the BGA turns into light brownish "clumps". And yes they are DEAD!!! And the best thing is my plants are all ok!
    []

Cheers!

ron

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ron,

Did you change out the water after that, like I suggested? When was the water change? Have you put the fishes and filter back yet?

When I went to the LFS to ask for advice after my arowana got injured from jumping, one suggested I use the yellow stuff, another told me it will almost kill the fish for sure (suitable for kois and goldfish only). Probably a matter of amount used.

Anyone know if the activated carbon will remove the remains of the anti-biotic?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Hi Vinz,

yup i have siphoned those dead BGA already...thanks

to remove the solution, i change 80% of tank water 3 times a day[] . That should remove most of the solution. i have put back my filter. To test water i put a cardinial in there. its still swimming happily there. so i suppose if water is good for cardinial, its almost good for any other fishes...

regarding the yellow powder being harmful to your fish, well i have used them successfully without observing any signs of complication with my fish. so i guess, whomever told you that its dangerous must have overdose, or while running treatment, forget to off filter, thus killing off beneficial bact, and eventually cause an ammonia spike, etc.

infact for arowana keepers, i would highly recommend one to have a packet at least in their first aid box. I also have successfully cure my small aro from an early sign of 'dropsy' using this yellow powder.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The problem is that we do not know what the yellow powder is. (Sulphur?... is it soluble?) Nonetheless, using activated carbon is a good pratice after medications.

BTW, isn't moving fish in and out of the tank stressful to the fishes? Why not try blacking out instead?

BC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    BC,

Ron mentioned above that someone told him its tetracycline.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oops... missed that.

Tetracycline is quite a common broad spectrum antibiotic used both for animal and human consumption.

I think activated carbon may help to remove the residual medication.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    if tetracycline contains ANY organic carbon, yes, activated charcoal will adsorb it

i don't advocate using antibiotics because you run the risk of breeding antibiotic resistant bga
    but ymmv tho

Wouldn't the yellow powder knock out the beneficial bacteria in the tank too?

You gotta be careful with any medicine for the aro. It's a prehistoric fish and it's liver is not as advanced as your normal fish.

Normal levels for aquarium might just kill the aro.

But I have heard that if you apply it to a cut site of the fish, it does help in the healing

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/13/2003 6:15:40 PM

if tetracycline contains ANY organic carbon, yes, activated charcoal will adsorb it

i don't advocate using antibiotics because you run the risk of breeding antibiotic resistant bga
    but ymmv tho
    ----------------
    Yes tetracycline is a organic compound.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The yellow powder does whack thr beneficial bacteria in the tank. That's why Ron specifically deactivate and remove the filter out of the tank.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]