Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Good writing people!

It is all DIY craze, sometimes out of hobby and ideas. The cost may not always be cheap, but often I save some cash along the process. I have done DIY chiller, DIY lamp (often), DIY filter. Most does work, but some are not so good. But what choise do I get.... getting the real stuff that works too well is already not so easy around here.

No.... this one wont go into the trash at all. Of course it wont function anymore holding those cookies. Instead I'm using it for same level filtration, so that the pressure is not at all high at the height this canister jar can handle.

Maybe next time I'll go crazy and use leftovers industrial pipe

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Super cheap DIY canister filter

medicineman. that cover you got seal it tight or just leave it as it was??

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

Leave it as it was from factory.

Still I wont be risking high pressure condition by placing this thing under the main tank. It takes something much, much better build to withstand the pressure.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by medicineman View Post
    Leave it as it was from factory.

Still I wont be risking high pressure condition by placing this thing under the main tank. It takes something much, much better build to withstand the pressure.

ok thanks alot. maybe i go and try to make myself one D.I.Y canister then. wish me luck. lol

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

I built two of these early last year (the second was made cos I wanted to improve on the first). Both have 900 and 1100 l/h submersed pumps in them. Takes up a lot of space but you will have to go 'whoah!' looking at the flow.

You'll need to reinforce the lid's lock- I do it by wedging anything from plastic pieces to cardboards. If it's not tightly sealed, then if you place it too low below the tank it may leak water, but if you place it on the same level as the tank...then it may leak air. The placement of the cannister is important to even out the pressure but to me there's only art to it. No science.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by medicineman View Post
    I have just tested it using bucket, some hose and a powerhead to feed the canister.

Turns out the stock canister cap is not as strong as I have tested conventionally, without proper sealing and water input of course. At just 20-30cm below the bucket (translates to 60cm of water pressure or so), the cap begins to leak. Sure the plumbing does not fail meanwhile as these are designed to handle much higher pressure.

Sadly, I must say this one does not work as well as it looks. You just need to keep it level with the main tank, and it should be safe. I ran it for 15 minutes and nothing leaks.
    Old topic but good to the day. The first issue with this is that you didn't purge the air out of your canister. If you bleed the air out (filled it with water) there would be that additional pressure in the system, JUST water being sucked in and out and it shouldn't pop the top so to speak.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12