Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

SOS: ISO Microworms

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear all, my bettas bred 'accidentally' yesterday - I came home and found that my female betta has jump out of her enclosure and found some eggs in the male's bubblenest [].

Being a first time dad to bettas , I read that microworms are ideal baby food. Thus, I'm asking around for a culture of microworms or for a nominal fee. If you're in the E, NE or N, it'll be great too. I'm willing to meet up with you tomorrow. thanks [:]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/11/2003 7:02:58 AM

Dear all, my bettas bred 'accidentally' yesterday - I came home and found that my female betta has jump out of her enclosure and found some eggs in the male's bubblenest [].

Being a first time dad to bettas , I read that microworms are ideal baby food. Thus, I'm asking around for a culture of microworms or for a nominal fee. If you're in the E, NE or N, it'll be great too. I'm willing to meet up with you tomorrow. thanks [:]
    ----------------
    Actually from another forummer in arofanatic... microworms have very low nutricious value... a better bet is actually baby brine shrimp (which is freshly hatched)

So try this other source.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr site

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, I've heard, but also read that Brine Shrimps causes swimming disorders in the fries? dunno if that's true.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Disorders only happen when you do not remove the egg shells properly from the BBS (baby brine shrimp).... The BBS egg shells are indigestable, so it can cause damage to the fries... But if properly hatched and egg shells removed, the BBS is a much better source of nutrients to the fish fries...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr site

Heheh... the other member in arofanatics that doesn't avocate microworms might be me...

Anyway, you CAN feed small daphnia to your frys. If your tank is large enough, can buy a 50cents packet, strain off the water and put the daphnia inside.

The adult daphnia will give birth to young daphnia which is the correct size for the frys.

But do not over feed as too much dead daphnia will dirty the water very fast

If you must feed MW, only feed for 2 days and then switch to bbs or daphnia. If you over feed MW for a prolonged period of time, you're gonna end up with a lot of deformed frys.

Good luck and have fun!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    BBS is actually a better choice provided you dun dump too much shells into ur tank. My mthd : Turn off the airpump and wait for the shells to settle before netting the BBS. U can tell that ur frys are full just by looking out for their orange bellies.

Daphnia is more convenient (provided u can keep them alive for 2-4 days) and they just stay in the tank until eaten (BBS dies after a short while in freshwater). Just 1 prob : They may carry disease - Lost 1 batch of frys (1+ mth old) to velvet once (i was using live daphnia and hikari frozen bloodworms at that time so it has to be the daphnia).

Gd luck and hope ur frys turn out fine.
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks! I'm gonna start hatching my bbs today and buy my MW culture tonight. will feed my fries both - maybe alternate days? the battas eggs have hatched and some are wriggling a bit, poor daddy betta has been so busy collecting stray fries and spitting them back in the bubble nest that he's so emanciated. the bubble nest is hardly half as grand and thick as yesterday.

Say, I'm gonna use coffee strainer to harvest my bbs - no prob with that right? I know I should rinse the bbs after harvesting - but can use tap water or dechlorinated water?

thanks guys, i'm now a kan cheong father too...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It is fine to harvest using a coffee filter.

I don't think it will matter whether you rinse the bbs in dechlorinated water or not, because your fries will devour the bbs as soon as they come into contact with the bbs.

You can feed yeast or any commercial emulsion feed for aquatic use to the bbs if you happen to hatch too many bbs.

Uniting all Guppy lovers

Guppy Club, Singapore

----------------
    On 2/12/2003 12:55:15 AM
    Daphnia is more convenient (provided u can keep them alive for 2-4 days) and they just stay in the tank until eaten (BBS dies after a short while in freshwater). Just 1 prob : They may carry disease - Lost 1 batch of frys (1+ mth old) to velvet once (i was using live daphnia and hikari frozen bloodworms at that time so it has to be the daphnia).

Gd luck and hope ur frys turn out fine.
    ----------------

Actually, young frys have a high tendency to get velvet, esp if the water is cold or the temperature of the water changed is different. If the water condition is bad, they get velvet also
    If you've a sponge filter in the tank that you didn't clear the debris with every water change, they'll get velvet also.

The trick is to add a little salt with every water change and you'd never see your frys getting velvet

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Vican, thanks. I've already installed a small air-powered filter in my fry tank, threw in some zeolite to absorb the ammonia too. bubble rate's about 1bps.

I've dropped in some anti-velvet and anti-fungus medication when the eggs were hatched, so far the fried don't seem affected, should be good for the next one week? Would the zeolite absorb the medications, I wonder?

video-camed the daddy hard at work last night too... hahahaha []

If you're unsure about the medication and zeolite, can always put in a little salt. Works fine and won't be absorbed.

Have Fun!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hei Anakin....

CONGRATS on being a "father"...hehehe
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    when should I take out the male? the fries are horizontal now, but not all of them are free-swimming yet. there are some that are so developed that they have gone microworm hunting [] and poor daddy betta is busy picking them up from the bottom of the tank, put them back into the bubblenest, only to hav ethese little rascals swim back down...

hahaha zmzfam, thanks! hope the riccia is growing well? .

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    well...haven't seen any growth yet
    Zulkifli

You're a little late in taking out the male.
    If you see that the frys are already attacking MW, the male should have been out

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Vican, I took out the male yesterday night (about day 3 of the fries' lives), was keeping him in the tank before that because he was still tending to the fries (picking them from the tank's bottom to the nest. He wasn't attacking or eating the fries so I reckon it won't hurt leaving him in there. My fries are all horizontal now, but not all are free-swimming, many are still floating just below the water surface. Others are swimming around (and I hope - eating up the bbs and MW)

Zmzfam, my riccia is starting to grow about 5mm from their mesh - what's your light Watt per gallon? and is the riccia near the light source? [:]

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    where do i get micrroworm and daphnia from? any kind soul care to share pls...?
    To The World You May Be 1 Person
    But To 1 Person You May Be The World!
    Pacific_Flame

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Flame, I PMed you on that. But I bought my MW culture from Zhiz22 from Arofanatics - Kelvin Tan - he lives in Chai Chee and is selling his MW culture.

zmzfam, you need to post a PM with a title, otherwise I can't open it [:]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/15/2003 11:52:55 AM

Zmzfam, my riccia is starting to grow about 5mm from their mesh - what's your light Watt per gallon? and is the riccia near the light source? [:]

Cheers.
    ----------------
    anakin,
    guess b4 this my lights were not bright enough....now i hv abt 3.5 W/gallon...and i can see that the riccia is "waking up".
    the riccia is on the gravel
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    zmzfam, 3.5W/G sounds good. hope the light can penetrate the depth enuf for the riccia to grow fat and pearl. [] hear from you soon!