Country
    Singapore

Overhaul of 4 footer

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All...

Into the fourth year of aquascaping....now, my battle with algae seems to be loosing steam [] Tank is a four footer, filtration by 2 eheim 2213 filter, lights: 4x36 wattss.

Due to my neglect of the tank, condition is not excellent. Now, I am contemplating to revamp the whole tank.Reason being, substrate fertilizer exhausted, algae problems, etc.

I figure that some planning is needed before the ops. Therefore, like to find out if anyone have done similar ops and perhaps could share something with me
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah. wipe out whole tank. sterilise with peroxide. install 50% flourite substrate/50% gravel (7bags)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If you are planning to totally revamp, the only concern I know is for the fish. They should be taken care of in a separate tank or a big container with preferably at least half the water from the old tank. With air pump and the same filters running on it to keep the filter bacteria alive.

After that, salvage whatever plants you need and store them in bucket of water.

If you want to salvage some gravel, you can do so too and rinse them.

After that, clear everything else and redo the setup from scratch like what you did before. You should pour some of the old tank water into the new tank as they contain bacteria to start the cycling. Don't wash the filter when you hook it on the new tank as they contain useful bacteria.

I guess that's about it. Back-breaking work though to remove the plants/ substrate from the tank. Done that before.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Juggler,
    He has algae problems previously with his tank. Now he is totally going to start from scratch so to not suffer the same fate with algae. If you were to use the old tank water, will the algae from the old tank water be a problem for his new setup esp during the begining stages where water bourne nutrients are in excess?

To my believe, revamping tank due to algae is not really a sure thing. Figuring out what is the problem and takling algae will be best.

Anyone else shares my thought?
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    My sentiments exactly. I won't risk the algae factor []

Okay, I have some BBAs here and there, a little green spot algae. Plant growth is moderate. Water conditions can't be that bad, considering I have angelfishes spawning a couple of occasion....Of course fries are still alive and swimming. My echindorus grandiflora even flowere before. I think the algae is getting weak...no new growth. Fish health good as seen from the bright red line of the cardinal tetra.

My overall plan

1. Get a separate small tank to host all fishes, inhabitant of the tank with the old filter run it.
    2. Drain water from main tank.
    3. Clear and clean tank
    4. Rescape the tank
    5. Planting("Xiong&quot
    6. Wait for water condition to stablised
    7. Return the inhabitant.

And the aquaplanting cycle resumes.....
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/11/2003 9:25:32 PM

Juggler,
    He has algae problems previously with his tank. Now he is totally going to start from scratch so to not suffer the same fate with algae. If you were to use the old tank water, will the algae from the old tank water be a problem for his new setup esp during the begining stages where water bourne nutrients are in excess?

To my believe, revamping tank due to algae is not really a sure thing. Figuring out what is the problem and takling algae will be best.

Anyone else shares my thought?
    ----------------
    I raised both my hands + LEGS!!!!
    heheheehe

Quite true lah, its a constant battle against algae, definitely will have in planted tank, its how u control it. Good Luck to U
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    Understand that friends come and go,
    but with a precious few you can hold on.
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/11/2003 9:41:17 PM

My sentiments exactly. I won't risk the algae factor []

Okay, I have some BBAs here and there, a little green spot algae. Plant growth is moderate. Water conditions can't be that bad, considering I have angelfishes spawning a couple of occasion....Of course fries are still alive and swimming. My echindorus grandiflora even flowere before. I think the algae is getting weak...no new growth. Fish health good as seen from the bright red line of the cardinal tetra.

My overall plan

1. Get a separate small tank to host all fishes, inhabitant of the tank with the old filter run it.
    2. Drain water from main tank.
    3. Clear and clean tank
    4. Rescape the tank
    5. Planting("Xiong&quot
    6. Wait for water condition to stablised
    7. Return the inhabitant.

And the aquaplanting cycle resumes.....
    ----------------
    I find step 3 and step 6 is more Xiong than step 5.... lol
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Not a good idea to restart your tank....you will probably end up back to square one again later. The problem now might be to spend some money on test kits and fine tune your nutrient imbalance to proper levels and viola..should be back on the right track and algae will slowly disappear.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger