Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Looking for rainbowfish

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am looking for some rare rainbowfish. Below are some species i wish to find:

http://mikejacobs.50megs.com/ten.jpg
    LAKE TEBERA RAINBOWFISH

http://www.oceanlight.com/thumbs/09799.jpg
    BANDED RAINBOWFISH

http://aquavisie.retry.org/Database/...isquamatus.jpg
    SEPIK RAINBOWFISH

http://www2.mdbc.gov.au/education/en...inbow_fish.jpg
    CRIMSON SPOTTED RAINBOWFISH

http://members.optushome.com.au/rain..._splendida.jpg
    EASTERN RAINBOWFISH

if anyone out there can find any of these species or others(excluding Neon, lake Kutubu, Boeseman, Red, threadfin and Parkinson), kindly let me know. Thanks
    Last edited by Quixotic; 20th Jan 2009 at 13:59. Reason: Remove direct image hotlinking due to copyrights

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Seaview has the largest variety of rainbow fishes by far.

But, its usually the usual. Neon, bosemani, and others by trade name, red / blue etc. Not that certain as i don;t know how to differentiate them

Hope this helps

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Of these fish, I have never seen them on these shores before except for Melanotaenia trifasciata (banded rainbowfish).

If I see them, I would normally include the not so common rainbowfish in my sighting reports. Perhaps have a look at past sightings reports, the fishes may still be there as they are not exactly known to be hot sellers.

Correct identification to the species would be another matter. Do be aware they hybridise very easily, therefore many hybrids are known to be available in the market.

Lastly, please do take note that not all images on the internet are available to be used freely.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by sfk7 View Post
    Seaview has the largest variety of rainbow fishes by far.

But, its usually the usual. Neon, bosemani, and others by trade name, red / blue etc. Not that certain as i don;t know how to differentiate them

Hope this helps
    Sea view is at seletar west right? I have been there but unfortunately, i was not able to visit most of the farms there due to very hostile dogs in that area. You will need a car to travel there.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic View Post
    Of these fish, I have never seen them on these shores before except for Melanotaenia trifasciata (banded rainbowfish).

If I see them, I would normally include the not so common rainbowfish in my sighting reports. Perhaps have a look at past sightings reports, the fishes may still be there as they are not exactly known to be hot sellers.

Correct identification to the species would be another matter. Do be aware they hybridise very easily, therefore many hybrids are known to be available in the market.

Lastly, please do take note that not all images on the internet are available to be used freely.
    I have not seen banded rainbowfish in any sighting reports yet.Anyway, how long ago have you last seen banded rainbowfish, at which LFS? A farm will not be ideal because it is usually situated in remote areas with numerous dogs. Chances are, i will be confronted even before i can locate its position. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hell united View Post
    Sea view is at seletar west right? I have been there but unfortunately, i was not able to visit most of the farms there due to very hostile dogs in that area. You will need a car to travel there.
    Seaview is near the Yio Chu Kang/Jalan Kayu junction. A short walk in from the roadside Nursery. If you go during weekends, you'll see alot of cars parked outside.

They usually have the smaller rainbows like threadfin, neon, fucata etc. as well as the larger ones like the Boesmani, Kubota, Banded, Parkinsoni and sometimes the hybrids.

You can also try Qianhu. You might get lucky if the timing is right and there are some rare species.

I sometimes see the Madagascar Rainbows at Wuhu and C328.
    Suckerfish no eat poo poo.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Indonesian exporter, http://www.garfishindo.com/rainbows.html
    But they sell in bulk.
    There can only be ONE

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan View Post
    Seaview is near the Yio Chu Kang/Jalan Kayu junction. A short walk in from the roadside Nursery. If you go during weekends, you'll see alot of cars parked outside.

They usually have the smaller rainbows like threadfin, neon, fucata etc. as well as the larger ones like the Boesmani, Kubota, Banded, Parkinsoni and sometimes the hybrids.

You can also try Qianhu. You might get lucky if the timing is right and there are some rare species.

I sometimes see the Madagascar Rainbows at Wuhu and C328.
    Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, Qian Hu has been selling fishes of extreme poor and decreasing quality at incredibly hefty price. Their rainbowfishes, as i have seen there are old and dull yet expensive. I have already stopped going there since. C328 is not reliable in my opinion because they do not separate the sick and the healthy. Dead fishes are seldom removed. Besides they sell common species of rainbowfish i already had. Some fish i bought there never last more than a week. Still, i would like to thank you for your generous help.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have been to sea view aquarium yesterday and i managed to find banded rainbowfish. The quality is seriously not quite there as the colouration is drab. However, the small size means that there is room for improvement as it reach adulthood. I am also satisfied with the price ($1.20 each). Therefore, i decided to buy a pair. I want to thank those people who have recommended this aquarium, or helped in other ways. Please inform me if you have seen anymore less common species. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I hope you have not put your banded rainbow into your tank yet. Some of Seaview's rainbow is currently hit by white spots, especially banded rainbow and red rainbow. Please quarintine them before you put them in. I bought two banded rainbows and they almost cause my whole tank to contract white spots.
    Alan
    A plant a day, keeps the doctor away
    http://mygreensenses.wordpress.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by yeoyl87 View Post
    I hope you have not put your banded rainbow into your tank yet. Some of Seaview's rainbow is currently hit by white spots, especially banded rainbow and red rainbow. Please quarintine them before you put them in. I bought two banded rainbows and they almost cause my whole tank to contract white spots.
    Precisely, which is why i always choose with care. I wanted to buy lake kutubu rainbowfish apart from banded, western and boeseman which i purchase that day. But there was a dead tankmate that wasn't removed. The best prevention is still to avoid buying sick fish, or healthy fish with sick tankmates. I have once bought a few swordtail from a tank with some dead tankmates, some are having popeye, some have whitespot while others suffer from fin rot. I thought that they would be hardy enough to survive the trip back home. But they survived only for a few days.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    saw Melanotaenia parkinsoni at c328 today

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    saw Melanotaenia parkinsoni at c328 today
    Parkinson Rainbowfish used to be rare in LFS. Now they are very common and cheap. I personally find them one of the least attractive of all rainbowfishes. Thanks anyway.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by yeoyl87 View Post
    What species of fish do you keep? Most fish are actually hardy enough not to catch disease easily. Synodontis catfishes and gouramis under the trichogaster family are incredibly hardy and almost immune to many diseases. Characins and killifishes (except golden panchax) are one of the less hardy category, even though contrary to popular beliefs, i find livebearers weakest and extra vulnerable.