Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Pleco aka kingsucker for algae control ??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Pleco aka kingsucker for algae control ??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Folks,

Read about SAEs and Otos and yamatoes being used as algae eater. Whatever happen to the venerable kingsucker ? The poor fish commonly used today as "eat shit fish" in louhan tanks. I'm not impressed with SAE or Oto so far for alage control ...the former start to eat fish food and the latter seems to be very fragile and a small eater. Any comment on the kingsucker ?

Thks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Mmmm....well!!Noone will really doubt its ability to maintain an aquarium.Considerin its appearance it definitely make ppl feel disgusted with this creature.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Those suckerfish grows to massive sizes. Once they get to the size you'll be seing plants uprooted and floating in your tank. Not a good idea right....
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    not only do got a massive fish in the future, yr planted tank prolly get lawnmowed by him

Feedback Score
    they will take fish food too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Aruba
    I have noticed that plecos and ancistrus are newbie algae eaters, once you get more involved in planted tanks people start using things like SAE, ottos and C. japonica (the antialgae trinity). Then some use more "exotic" algae eating critters like American flag fish, Ameca splendens, Nanostomus trifasciatus...

Greetings.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    locally its the other way ard... beginners start with SAE, Otos, yamato, malayan... slowly they try pencilfish, cherry barbs.. and finally plecos and ancistrus (Zebra pleco, bristlenose)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    There are many other types of Pleco or loricariidae that are fantastic algae eaters like those belong to the ancistrus species eg L133 or the twig species eg dwarf royal twig catfish. 1 or 2 pcs should be enuff to do the cleaning job. Max. size for ancistrus is abt 5" and the dwarf royal twig is abt 6".

The ones that we see in the lfs are L001, snowking, sailfin etc which are omni. Puzzle me sometime to know that "ppl" KNOW NUTS about these fishes beside knowing that " it can eat ****s and grow very big " - goes thru' the process of " buy and throw later ! ". why waste $!.

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !
    Seeking for the Ultimate Diving Adventure !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    Mmmm....well!!Noone will really doubt its ability to maintain an aquarium.Considerin its appearance it definitely make ppl feel disgusted with this creature.

----------------
    Guess it's " One man meat is another man poison ". Well some like discus, aro, apisto, angel, goldfish etc, I happen to be the very odd few who collecting these disgusting Loricariidae. Before my " major happening " I have 76 species, total of 150+ pcs. Some rare ones are few hundreds to a thousand bucks !. " PLECOHUT " still have them ! []
    To date I've been successful in breeding the Dwarf Royal Twig Catfish and the all time favour L046 Zebra !. Cheers !

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !
    Seeking for the Ultimate Diving Adventure !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Allen,

if you have any of those L046 babies.. do let me know..... Kinda interested in them after I found out that they can grow to only 3.2 inches...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr site

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Prevention is better than cure.
    Ensure proper nutrient balance and lighting in the tank. Plants will be happy and algae will be taking a back seat.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks