Country
    Singapore

Moss Adaptation Period??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I have some questions on moss which I hope can be answered by others out there.

My tank is a 20x15x20cm tank. PL 13W, hang on filter and small fan. Gex soil. Plants only moss.

1) Is it true that moss needs time to adapt to a new tank? Because I bought Taiwan moss in LFS which are green. But once I tie it to either wood or rocks and put it into my new tank, the leaves will turn brown after 1 or 2 days. I read in an article that moss needs time to adapt, so wondering whether it is true.

2) Will the brown moss turn back green? I know moss prefers cooler water, so I installed a fan. will this help? Or should I just get rid of the brown moss?

3) since this tank is on my desk, there is no co2 supply to it. But I have some co2 tablets, should I use those to supply some co2? will it help?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    1. Moss need time to adapt. But from my experience, less than 3 days they will be ok. However, for newly setup tanks, water parameters are not stable. Moss will turn brown very fast. Thus, I won't recommend moss during the first 2 weeks of tank cycling.
    2. New fronds will grow, once the moss adapt, so just leave them there. Lower temperature is good for moss growth. But not absolutely neccessary. Java moss, spiky moss do well even at 30C.
    3. If you are not keeping shrimps, Excel or other form of liquid CO2 would be better.

And do you introduce liquid ferts? Weekly dosage will help in plant growth.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ghim View Post
    Yup agreed, just to add Iron will also help to make moss greener.
    VIPER

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Give them good water condition and water circulation and they will grow healthy. lightly dose of ferts will do.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ghim View Post
    1. Moss need time to adapt. But from my experience, less than 3 days they will be ok. However, for newly setup tanks, water parameters are not stable. Moss will turn brown very fast. Thus, I won't recommend moss during the first 2 weeks of tank cycling.

Mosses dont take 3 days to adapt, no plants can unless its' already submersed form. If mosses turn brown, just trimm them.

Mosses have low requirements thus ferts dosing isnt necessary but can hasten their growth rate together with chilled water.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    Mosses dont take 3 days to adapt, no plants can unless its' already submersed form. If mosses turn brown, just trimm them.

Mosses have low requirements thus ferts dosing isnt necessary but can hasten their growth rate together with chilled water.
    Just wondering if I do not trim the brown moss is it still ok to leave it there.
    VIPER

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I was just about to ask that same qn! If I were to leave the brown moss there, will it turn back green? Or should I just trim them off?

This browning of moss has already happened to me quite a few times. Whenever I buy new moss for a newly setup tank, it will turn brown the next day. Only on a few occasions, it remains green with only a few brown strands. May I ask why?
    Mr Chan of NA said the water has to be clean. Because my tanks are newly setup, I use new declorinated water, which is clean. So really puzzled why sometimes my moss remains green, and on other times, it just turn brown within 1 or 2 days.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Should I wait until my tank is fully cycled before adding the moss? Can this be the reason? Because I usually add moss only into a newly setup tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi yakie,

Plants can be added to the tank anytime, even during the cycling period from my knowledge. In my opinion, there are a few things that could happen that make your moss turn brown.
    - Temperature is too high (though moss usually have wide range of temperatures)
    - Light is can be so strong that it can be too much for the moss.
    - Algae growth on the moss might hinder the growth rate of the moss.
    - CO2 too little?

Above is just my analysis, but it could be a bit of each of the above that contribute to your moss turning brown. As for your case, I have a good feeling that its your light being too strong.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper007 View Post
    Just wondering if I do not trim the brown moss is it still ok to leave it there.
    Quote Originally Posted by yakie_19 View Post
    I was just about to ask that same qn! If I were to leave the brown moss there, will it turn back green? Or should I just trim them off?
    Brown leaves from mosses don't turn green, just trimm them and they will regrow.

Should I wait until my tank is fully cycled before adding the moss? Can this be the reason? Because I usually add moss only into a newly setup tank.
    Nothing to do with whether tank is cycled.

Quote Originally Posted by lifestory View Post
    Hi yakie,

- Temperature is too high (though moss usually have wide range of temperatures)
    - Light is can be so strong that it can be too much for the moss.
    - Algae growth on the moss might hinder the growth rate of the moss.
    - CO2 too little?
    your light being too strong.
    If temperature is too high, all plants turn brown, not just mosses. Mosses can tolerate up to 31 degrees. As for lights, there are some reports of ferns/nanas turning brown at stronger lights. But its possible it'll affect some slow growing plants.

Algae hinder plant growth, not just mosses.

Mosses are generally low requirement plants but ferts+ co2 hasten growth. But I wouldn't be silly enough to spend $$ on co2 equipment and ferts just to help my mosses grow faster, it really defeats the purpose of keeping a tank low tech.

Aquascaping is a hobby that requires a fair amount of patience, it take on average 11-25 weeks for mosses to grow lush and nice without going high tech. The other way round is to plant a minimum of 85% plant density at the start instead of waiting for it to grow slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Brown leaves from mosses don't turn green, just trimm them and they will regrow.
    Actually before I can trim them my cherry shirmp had them for food liao!
    VIPER

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper007 View Post
    Actually before I can trim them my cherry shirmp had them for food liao!
    agree. my cherries and sakuras settled most of brown leaves/melting plants issues........

cheers!
    when theres any doubt, theres no doubt...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. Currently i am trying to grow willow moss in the cube, and intending to rear CRS or sakuras. Lets see how the moss will grow this time.

Anyway, after I finished setting up this tank a few days back, I tried adding in some CO2 tablets by this brand "UPS" to help speed up the process. However, I noticed that after adding the tablets for a few days, there is a whitish substance forming on the gravel. I have removed most of it manually, and have stopped using the tablets.

Just something to share.
    Anyway, anyone who has knowledge on growing moss can feel free to share the knowledge.
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for pointing out. Mine are bought in submerse form.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. Currently i am trying to grow willow moss in the cube, and intending to rear CRS or sakuras. Lets see how the moss will grow this time.

Anyway, after I finished setting up this tank a few days back, I tried adding in some CO2 tablets by this brand "UPS" to help speed up the process. However, I noticed that after adding the tablets for a few days, there is a whitish substance forming on the gravel. I have removed most of it manually, and have stopped using the tablets.

Just something to share.
    Anyway, anyone who has knowledge on growing moss can feel free to share the knowledge.
    Thanks!
    CO2 tablets are expensive and do not have a measureable CO2. Thus making it impractical. If you are planning for a shrimp tank, just make it low tech(no CO2 supplement), low ferts. Moss will grow well even in low tech tanks. For CRS, are you planning for a chiller?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

I am not planning to have a chiller as too high electricity consumption. I am currently using a Daz hang on fan that cools the water pretty well since the tank is only quite small. Anyway, not going to add any shrimps in yet as waiting for the tank to stablise and for the moss to grow first.

The co2 tablets are a taiwan brand and cost only $3 for a box of 20. From c328. but I really don't think it is good. Not using it now aft I change all the water and bought new moss. I suspect it might be the cause of death for my earlier batch moss.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The co2 tablets are a taiwan brand and cost only $3 for a box of 20. From c328. but I really don't think it is good. Not using it now aft I change all the water and bought new moss. I suspect it might be the cause of death for my earlier batch moss.
    So far how is the co2 tablets working for your tank? Any update?
    VIPER

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am not longer using the CO2 tablets because i suspect it is affecting the condition of the water. Maybe it is just this particular brand. Currently, i am just using light and turning on the fan occasionally to cool the water. Seems ok, and the water looks clearer as well. Previously, the tablets make my water cloudy for awhile.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Anyone have thought to check for chloramine coming from the tap?
    Some mosses are sensitive. Eg Erect moss.

Try not to handle moss for long periods as your hands are warm and may damage it.

Willow moss needs cool temperature to thrive. 22-25C.

Most mosses have different looks according to condition of water and lighting.

Most look better in 25-27C. They're not particular about water except that it be relatively debris free. Limit the amount of small fishes and pat your moss during WC.

Always trim the stray strands after tying your moss. Those will look out of place once it starts growing. I find mosses look better after the 1st trim. Brilliant after the 2nd trim.

Generally, they grow smaller and darker in low maintenance tanks. Lighter colour in high light tanks. It points a little upwards in high light tanks and spread out in medium light unless it's one of those that grow tall like flame moss.

They look best IMO when given medium to high light. In low light the assume a very generic look and quite hard to tell them apart. Especially true for species like Spiky, Java and Weeping moss.

Happy 'mossing'.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I am not longer using the CO2 tablets because i suspect it is affecting the condition of the water. Maybe it is just this particular brand. Currently, i am just using light and turning on the fan occasionally to cool the water. Seems ok, and the water looks clearer as well. Previously, the tablets make my water cloudy for awhile.
    I see, so how was you moss growing? and any improvement
    VIPER

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by StanChung View Post
    Try not to handle moss for long periods as your hands are warm and may damage it.

Willow moss needs cool temperature to thrive. 22-25C.

Most mosses have different looks according to condition of water and lighting.

Most look better in 25-27C. They're not particular about water except that it be relatively debris free. Limit the amount of small fishes and pat your moss during WC.

Always trim the stray strands after tying your moss. Those will look out of place once it starts growing. I find mosses look better after the 1st trim. Brilliant after the 2nd trim.

They look best IMO when given medium to high light. In low light the assume a very generic look and quite hard to tell them apart. Especially true for species like Spiky, Java and Weeping moss.

Happy 'mossing'.
    Thanks for such details comments!

Will moss adapt water temp. fluctuation like 23C at night and 27C in the day?

Some say moss do not need high light as they will be burn out. But you say medium to high light will make them look best. Any comment on this?

Lastly, WC at regular interval like 2-3 days is it good for moss or once a week 30%-40%.

Thanks
    VIPER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast