Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Water changes

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Was browsing thru Takashi's book and noted that water changes for each planted tank is different. Me newbie here, wanted to know how to judge what amount of water to change?

Feedback Score
    I guess if you look closely at his book you will also notice that Takashi changes water more often in smaller tanks. Also water change frequentcy increase if there is high bio-load (more fishes)

My rule of thumb is that I change water every week about 20%. I have a 4 feet tank and I stick to the rules of 1cm of fish for every 1 liter of water.

hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i believe it depends on mainly your nitrate value...
    i think people do water changes to get rid of stuff like nitrates...
    so u can check how often u have to change your water by checking the your nitrate value or PO4 value or Fe value weekly and change water as and when you feel the values are not to your liking...
    the bio load is one of the culprits of the nitrates accumilation cuz of the fish food and stuff...
    this is just roughly what i know lah... the others here will give u better explanation and CoRrEcT me too...
    good luck... []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    That depends on whether you are keeping a plain fish tank only tank or a planted tank. For fish with just only fish, you can do water changes according to the nitrate value..but not so much until you upset the bacteria colony in your filter. As for a planted tank, high nitrate might not be a bad thing after going through the aquabotanic forum where they discuss how it is possible to make full use of the nitrate by balancing nutrients, which will eventually bring down the nitrate.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger