Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

To add or not to add: Med for discus

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My discus in the planted tank recently turned black, and it turns out that they ganna white spots. Have already treated the tank with salt, but discus still black.

Then bought the Ocean Free medication powder (green powder), tested on a paper cup, and it turns the water green.

My discus is in the planted tank, and my main worry is that this medication contains copper which will kill my shrimps. Any other suggestions?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Unless you know whats in the med, I wouldn't advise dosing with it... this is more so if the med doesn't provide any clear warnings on what it should not be used with.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    for white spot, add salt and raise the temp to 30degree

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I heard medication containing copper is not plant-safe, anyone can confirm?
    I was able to treat white spots in my tank with some plant-safe medication, plus dosage of salt and temp increase.
    More info at http://www.aquariumpharm.com/articles/ich.asp
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    I am new in planted tank hence I am not sure about copper being unsafe in the planted tank set-up.

However, copper when used correctly in accordance with the dosage recommended in the manual instructions can prove to be effective (documented by some Arowana hobbyist)... Overdose will be harmful to most aquatic life.

My own personal experience will try to avoid all medications unless necessary. Sometime basics like changing water, adding of salt and proper temp will do the trick.

For white spots, this is the approach that you can adopt (experience based on Arowana in bare tank)

Maintain good water conditions, salt increase to 0.2% to 0.3% (advisable to invest in salt meter) and temp to increase to 31 degs...monitoring every 1 deg increase.

White spots can be due to many reasons one of which is the introduction of new fishes without proper quarantine. Other factors will include temp...feeders...etc

Cheers

Feedback Score
    medicine will kill the shrimp....for sure.....mine almost wipe out...and increasing temp will kill the plant.....am i right?