Country
    Australia

Planning to start up a new tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone..
    this is my first post and thread so please be kind.

I am looking at starting a new tank at size 60x45x45 and I'm currently considering what lighting I should go with.

I am thinking about choosing a 70W MH but I am concerned that it isn't enough light to grow a good carpet (example HC). With 70W i get ~ 2.2WPG

The next step up is a 150W MH which is just too much I think. ~5wpg
    I think I may be able to get 2x70W MH as well... yielding ~4.6WPG, still quite a lot.

Generally speaking, I would like enough light so that I will not be limited to what pants I can grow..

In your experiences, do you think I can do well with 2.2WPG? Maybe I can add some T5?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you everyone for your time.
    Last edited by kevinicus; 10th Feb 2009 at 18:29.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinicus View Post
    I am looking at starting a new tank at size 60x45x45 and I'm currently considering what lighting I should go with.

In your experiences, do you think I can do well with 2.2WPG? Maybe I can add some T5?
    Yours is a 2ft but with a depth to 45... you should consider getting a T5 lights with 24W x 4 = 96W your HC will grow well.

Good luck! and Cheers mate!
    VIPER

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia
    thanks for your reply viper.. definitively have to consider that... although I was looking forward to the ripple effect from MH lights
    Interesting update; found htis item: Sfiligoi ZENITH 1x70W + 2x24W which yields 118W! Hopefully the T5 will controlled independently as well which would enable me to lower the wattage if i require!

do you think 45H is weird?
    Last edited by kevinicus; 10th Feb 2009 at 19:28.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    do you think 45H is weird?
    Wow so much lighting....... Well 45H is not weird cos mine is also 45H.
    VIPER

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sfiligoi ZENITH 1x70W + 2x24W should suffice and produce a nice lawn for your 2-footer. Actually 4 x 24WT5HO will also give you the same results, minus the ripple effect.

However, take into consideration, more light = more fertilization + chances of rapid growing algae if weekly maintenance is lacking.
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Planning to start up a new tank

Hi everyone..
    this is my first post and thread so please be kind.

I am thinking about choosing a 70W MH but I am concerned that it isn't enough light to grow a good carpet (example HC). With 70W i get ~ 2.2WPG

The next step up is a 150W MH which is just too much I think. ~5wpg
    I think I may be able to get 2x70W MH as well... yielding ~4.6WPG, still quite a lot.

Generally speaking, I would like enough light so that I will not be limited to what pants I can grow..

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you everyone for your time.
    When using MH you generally got to take care of the heat generated...I think a 70 W might be enough due to the intensity of a MH light. You cannot just look at the wattage alone. if you are getting 2 x 70 W, I would say just go for one first, if not enough then add. However if you are getting those combination ones, then just go for the higher one