Images
    Country
    Singapore

Plant's name

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    What is the name of the red tiger and the green and red tiger that are very large in their leaf's size, about 8-10 inch in diameter? I am not sure if they are the regular "tigers".

Kindly advise, thanks.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks, Nicholas. They look like the regular lotus like your pics, just that they are giant size. I have the red lotus but not that gigantic.

So, are they tiger lotus? I mean does it has the large species.

If you happen to pass by Sam Yick's new branch at United Sq, see the newly matured show tank with the lotus. Very nice... the theme is about lotus and they stand out like jewels. I am very tempted by it to start a new tank just to emulate it.

Feedback Score
    According to dennerle, they call them tiger lotuses, Code name N55.

Hmm..used to go there, to look at the tanks too, since it was pretty near my place..haven't been there of late...can't afford that place..
    I'm not sure if there is a larger species...you could browse through dennerle's site..i saw a few other type of lotuses...but they weren't tigers...
    I think there's something wrong with my browser settings...can't see the pics..
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yap, his products are mostly up market types. I hardly buy there too. There are about 4 nice display tanks (the 5th and main one should be coming soon). I am just being carried away by the lotus theme tank....must do one....must ask my government (spouse) for approval...

Feedback Score
    Haha, government...i guess it's nice to look, just to appreciate a "nature aquarium"
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nicholas,

I always like simple aquascape but it is difficult to adhere to it as I am often tempted to add more different plants. However, after seeing that lotus theme, I think I will go for it and keep it that way. After you saw it, please share you view. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 2/21/2003 12:15:16 PM

Nicholas,

I always like simple aquascape but it is difficult to adhere to it as I am often tempted to add more different plants. However, after seeing that lotus theme, I think I will go for it and keep it that way. After you saw it, please share you view. Thanks.
    ----------------
    Hi, been pretty busy lately, I'll be heading down this evening to have a look-see at nature and sams. It looks like Mr.chan trimmed his moss lawn, from what i can make out from the seat of the bus.
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi FC & pipsqueak

People of great taste are drawn to the same thing []

Yes, Nymphaea rubra (known local at lfs as red tiger lotus) has been and will always be my favorite! I asked this question before and am inclined to believe there is a dwarf species which is alot more reddish and rich in colouration. One of the moderators responded then and attested to this but I must say to this day I cannot say I'm absolutely sure abt this. I don't know if they will grow to the size you see at Sam Yick given the optimum conditions. You can get a bunch for $4 at a shop at Holland Dr. called Holland Aquarium & Trading (Tel: 6775277.
    Btw, mine had all remained dwarfed and didn't last more than 3 mths as I didn't have the right conditions.

If there is one plt I would want to grow again and again and again, it would have to by NYMPHAEAE RUBRA![]

cheers!
    mike

Feedback Score
    Hi FC,
    finally went down to have a look, ended up buying a book on gerbils..[]
    Yes, the tank was kinda impressive, with the lotus in the middle and all...abit "standard" if you ask me, but on the whole, its a very nice show tank...easier mantainence..
    I prefered the tank that was behind it, the one where the New Zealand native plant was used as a foreground..last time i went there it was very sparse...looks really good now that it has grown..and the dark green plant tied onto the rock for contrast has grown quite a bit too...is that a Boblitis? Does anyone know?
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Exactly, I like the lotus tank for its' simplicity and easy to maintaince. What striked me most was the plants' good health that displayed its' brilliant looks. Yes, the plants tied to the middle-back rock are Boblitis. Have they started planting the front window's (main) show tank?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    My tiger lotus from capricon plant farm(Ah pek)..been in my tank for more than 3 yrss.

Personal observation is that with Dennerle E15 EDTA inserted will cause the lotus stalk to shorten by a fair bit when previously they tend to grow tall and stringy. Leave looks really red!!! Growth rate: 1 leaf per week. Good?

Although, my gravel is covered with BBA here n there...can't seem to get it of it...but the lotus plant remains BBA free....supposed it to be doing well....

Juz my 2 sens
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    Hi, yea, maintanence is definitely little, except maybe for the foreground...this friendly chap told me it was pygmy chain sword...is that tennellus?
    And yea, this time round, all the tanks plants were healthy, unlike last time, the stems were thick! i've never seen such thick stems on a lotus before.
    Ah ok, any idea if gans has Boblitis or windelov in stock? Thinking of adding a moss wall, with inspiration from timebomb thread and tom barr's remark on Boblitis..

The main show tank? Wasn't the lotus themed tank the main one? If its 5 footer(?) Juwel tank, facing the driveway you're talking about, then no, they've only placed in arcylic pieces, as if to seperate plants..looks like they are gonna do something to it..
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Hi wynx,
    what's a Dennerle E15 EDTA ?
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    It is an chelated Iron Supplement for Plants..I believe...
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    Dale Carnegie

Feedback Score
    Ah, I see...
    Dennerle products are confusing!
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Wynx,

regarding your gravel covered with algae, try vacuum them up. Then either throw them away or wash and put them back. I had the same problem before and mine was caused by too much feeding (9 discus), too little light and unbalanced/insufficient nutrients.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Just done so....
    I hope I got have gotten things in control. My nitrate NO3 seems to be on the high side. I guess planted tank is like a gf to me...Dun take care..haha...all sorts of problem appears...

But I am sure I would win....
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    Dale Carnegie