Country
    Singapore

Channa bleheri

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Just sharing pictures of my Channa bleheri. It's about 4 inches long now. I've been wondering why this fish doesn't seem to have as much light blue colouration on its body as some other specimens. Is it a geographical variant, or does the fully grown fish have more colour? I'm hoping to get a few more in the future and try to breed this lovely species. Also any advice on sexing? I've heard that the males have a broader head compared to females.

Any one else has pictures of this Channa to share?

Last edited by Enda; 24th Feb 2009 at 09:04.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Channa bleheri

Really cute! Any shots of the whole tank?
    -clint- ~apisto keepers unite!~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Nice, what does it feed on?
    Cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    India

Check this for pictures from one of my freind's
    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/co...=131772#131772

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I'll try to get shots of the whole tank, but its very shabby really. Just scraggly moss and java ferns. I'm feeding this fish on dried shrimp.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Very nice and striking colours.. Do they grow till very big? What's their maximum size?
    Cheers,
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif"Ben"http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif
    Life is all about patience & perseverance,
    Failure is just another new beginning

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Is this fish prone to jumping? Do you cover the tank?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, my channa bleheri looks very similiar to yours. I think most specimens sold in singapore are similiar to this. By the way, does your bleheri swim around alot? Mine mostly lies on the gravel and only becomes active during feeding.

I suspect it might be my tank's temperature being too warm. Mind sharing your temperature readings?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Very nice and striking colours.. Do they grow till very big? What's their maximum size?
    Thanks exotic_idiot, I was actually hoping my fish would have more blue on the body, that I've seen on other bleheri, but yes, it's a very striking Channa. I understand they get to a max of 6 inches, making this one among the smallest Channa. My fish is now about 4".

Is this fish prone to jumping? Do you cover the tank?
    Hi Vinz, I've read that channa are very, very prone to jumping. My tank is completely covered, and I use blu-tack to cover the gaps near the hang-on-back filter. Don't want to take any chances. I've had it jump out a couple of times when it got over-enthusiastic during feeding. It can jump to take food held over the water.

Hi, my channa bleheri looks very similiar to yours. I think most specimens sold in singapore are similiar to this. By the way, does your bleheri swim around alot? Mine mostly lies on the gravel and only becomes active during feeding. I suspect it might be my tank's temperature being too warm. Mind sharing your temperature readings?
    Hello razornova, I'm keeping a lookout for more fish. Actually considering a 3' setup for a pair after I move house (moving in a couple of months time). I agree, most bleheri here look like this. Mine doesn't swim much either, it hides near the bottom among the plants and comes out for food when it sees me I guess. Yup these are sub-tropical fish, so I've read that our Singapore temperature is a little high for them. I think they would be more active (maybe more colourful too?) at cooler temperatures. My tank is in my living room, temperature between 27-30 degrees celsius. I don't have any cooler or light on it, so it is more or less at ambient temperature. Anyone else keeping bleheri would like to comment on temperature matters?

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Philippines

Hey, Enda, are your Bleheris doing ok? Also, are they showing any signs of illness?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England

Channas are definatly jumping fish, a very tight fitting cover is needed.
    Yours looks like a regular bleheri, their colours do differ from fish to fish and locality to locality.
    At the moment i have around 6 gatchua.
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hey, Enda, are your Bleheris doing ok? Also, are they showing any signs of illness?
    Hi AU, I've sold my bleheri off to another bro on this forum. Since I don't have the space to keep a group, and possibly breed them, I decided to focus on other fish instead. When I have more space in the future I might set up a 4' for a group and try my hand at spawning them. I think that'd be nice.

Channa bleheri is a great fish to keep. If you have the chance and the space, do try to keep them. It would be ideal, though, if you can keep them in an air-conditioned room or a tank with chiller. They are sub-tropical fish, so our Singapore room temperature is actually a bit warm for them. I'm sure temperature affects their behaviour and colour.

Channas are definatly jumping fish, a very tight fitting cover is needed.
    Yours looks like a regular bleheri, their colours do differ from fish to fish and locality to locality.
    At the moment i have around 6 gatchua.
    Hi Mez, saw your gachua pix. They look good. Hope you'll get a pair. Unlike bleheri, gachua is a tropical species and has ventral fins. It can be found in the wild in Singapore.
    Last edited by Enda; 19th Apr 2009 at 18:02.