Feedback Score
    Country
    England

Echinodorus in general

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have basic CO2 injection. No idea at what rate its being injected into my tank its such a basic kit. Substrate used to fertile, i guess after 2 years its pretty exhausted of nutrients by now. So i'm wondering if Echinodorus species in general are quite hardy plants that don't require high tech tanks to thrive. I'm planning on adding Echinodorus martii, red rubin narrow and uruguayensis to my 3ft dempsey tank which is running a standard Arcadia 3ft x2 30W T8 tubes. Hoping that Echinodorus species will do ok in my tank. My last experience with an Echinodorus was with Bleheri, which melted, and my Tenellus didnt survive either. So i'm hoping the bigger, more robust plants will fill the empty spaces in my tank nicely.

Anyones past/present experiences with any of these plants would be appreciated. Just to get an general idea
    Verminator

Aquatic fanatic and keen learner of aquascaping

The canvas is what you make it...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Echinodorus in general

I recently had some bad experience with various echinodorus plants.

I had a variety of different echinodorus including some collected from the wild. Most of them had brown leaves with the leaves melting after a period of around 1 month after introducing to my 3 ft tank with a mixture of gex and Amazonia II soil. The substrate was about 7 months old only and the previous setup was just normal, not so nutrient hungry plants. Most of them were already submersed with just 2-3 plants emersed from the wild. Ferts were Lushgro macro and micros; root monsters introduced when leaves started browning and melting. Stems are still green and attached. CO2 running at 1 bubble per second with 2.7-3 wpg lighting.

Now my tank looks brown and barely alive. I will be moving them to my new 4 ft tank soon with a gravel/substrate system instead. Planning to get JBL substrate and lapis sand/ gravel laced with root monsters.
    4x2x2 ft tank (2 x 2028 ): Cardinal, Ember and Neon Tetras, Cherry Barbs, Panda, Pygmaeus and Hasbrosus cories, Clown and Coolie loach, L134 and non-ID pleco, Common and giant otos, Whiptails and Yamato, Cherry and Malayan Shrimps
    3x1.5x1.5 ft tank ( Eheim 2028 ) Retired
    1x1x1 ft tank ( Eheim 2041 ): 2 goldfish

Feedback Score
    Country
    India

I have had various echinodorous species in my tanks for a long time, although they require a nutrient rich subsrtate, give them nutrients in water column also works.
    Red rubin defintly requres high lights and a nutrient rich substrate.
    E tennelues grows upward in low light, requires a nutrient rich substrate. However it takes time to convert from immersed to submerged.
    A important point in planting echinodorus is that the crown of plant, i.e the place where leaves originate should be above the substrate, it the crown is buried i the substrate, the plant does not survive

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

E. Tenellus is also known as chain swords. IF it does not survive, you may have to look really deeper. My apology if I cannot offer much help.