Images
    Country
    Singapore

Plants under strong current

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Tha above is usually not very well documented (as far as I've researched on the web lah). Understand that some plants do not grow well under strong current, whereas some plants flourish with good current flowing over them. Any websites or any advices on what plants to avoid placing under strong current (like output of filter)?
    ... always look at the bright side of life

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Websites - I don't think so. But the Christel Kasselmann book do state this requirement if it has been observed in actual ecological site.

In general, I believe moderate water currents would do. Too fast and some fish may not be able to take it. There are plants that can still flourish in stagnant waters.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    from readings, i believe that balansae and bolbitis h. do well in strong current.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Both Kasselman and Walstad document that under strong current many plants fair poorer... Generally if you have strong output from your filter, try and bounce it against your tank glass to dissapate some of the force.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Should you guys think of slowing down the current, Nature Aquarium has the aka ANA styled output funnel. It is made of quality green transparent plastic. It can be fitted to both small and big output tubes. I paid only $3 for it, really value for money.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Use a spray bar. Good even current is good, a nice evenly distributed flow along the bottom is good.

I've swam down any stream and rivers filled with plants and waded through still swamps, some plants are found in both places. Generally, long skinny strap like leaves are designed for current, but one fines Myriophyllum in the these fast flowing rivers and stagnant pools. Moss is often found in very high current.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    IMO, I would agree on the idea of rainbar as a good water circulation is relatively important for:
    - better filtered water
    - creates natural flow as in rivers
    - avoid BGA emergences
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hairgrass seems to grow faster/better with a moderate current from a rainbar.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Mmmm...somehow takashi amano don't recommend rainbar whichever position it is placed in as he says the nutrients will be oxidized by the jetting water?
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    herr? if the rainbar is under the water surface there should be no oxidising right?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Hi, I have just installed an external cannister filter (TOM Brand) for my 2ft (20 gallon) tank. With the shower bar provided, there seems to be a strong current, swirling some of my small fish around (tetras, SAE etc). I have tried to point it in different directions, but the current still seems too strong. Should I connect a CO2 reactor, not only to grow plants, but also to slow down the current?
    Or should I try the funnel at Nature Aquarium, and continue to use an airstone for the CO2 (DIY CO2)?
    Thanks.