Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Advise on setting up a 2ft plant tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, i'm currently trying to set up a 2ft plant tank. As a start, i got a few plants but they died off after 3 weeks.

Specs:

My tank got a single 2ft light, switched on approx 10 hrs a day, under gravel with powerhead. Didn't insert CO2 as i suppose the fishes gives them out.

Q1: Isit a must to have CO2 and a diffuser ?
    Q2: Is powerful lighting really a must ?
    Q3: I was told that i could actually build a CO2 supply using yeast, water & sugar. Isit true & how ?

Hope to get some advise to join in the fun of having a beautiful plant tank ")

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Most of your questions are already answered in the FAQs and threads. You could find answers MUCH faster by searching for them and then post your doubts if you still dun understand
    ... always look at the bright side of life

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    UGF is not recommended for planted tanks. Strong lights (2-3W/gallon) is advisable and CO2 is also highly recommended.
    ... always look at the bright side of life

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    tvlinus,

Welcome to the hobby.

You have a few setup problems here:
    1) your light is insufficient, you need 2x 2ft tubes or one 36 watts compact PL light. Light is energy to plant and plants need certain light intensity to function well.
    2) you need a fan to cool your water to below 29 degree celcius to increase survivor rate
    3) I knew of many successful under gravel with powerhead planted tank but you need sufficient liquid fertilizer for it. Dose 1.5 to 2 times the recommended dosage and dose once a week. For simplicity, I suggest that you use comprehensive fertilizer like JBL ferropol, Tropica Master Glow, etc. Nature Aquarium at Thomson Rd offers the best price in town for JBL at $21 for 500ml bottle. Try to arrange the power head such that it is not too strong and do not disturb the water surface.
    4) you can plant without CO2 but you will be limted to easy/strong plants like sunset, bacopa, low light plants. Not sure? Go to Pet Safari and see the 125L Jewel tank inside the former bird shop. It is a no CO2 setup planted tank but nice. You may use those plants.
    5) if you are certain to stay in this hobby, forget about the yeast method, too much work. Buy a CO2 tank and regulator. If you have budget constrain, go to "buy & sell" forum and ask for 2nd hand ones. Tips: try to get a good regulator (new about $120), do not save on this part.
    6) keep the fish load low, keep small fishes and feed once a day with dry food to avoid algae problem.

Try to read the FAQ and do some searching here. Come back if you need more help.

Hope this help.