Thread: Tetra keep jumping out of tank

Feedback Score

Tetra keep jumping out of tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear members,
    recently i just do a re-scaping of my tank. After the re-scaping, my neon tetra and malayan shrimp keep jumping out of the tank. No such problem before the re-scaping. My tank is only a 1.5 ft and the PH is maintained at 6.5 and KH 3. CO2 is DIY using diffuser and cylinder traping the CO2 bubble.
    Initially, there are quite a number of plants in the tank and after the re-scaping, only left the ricca and a moss wall.
    Could this be due to CO2 poisoning as there are no plants to absord the CO2 ? Will DIY CO2 cause CO2 posioning ?

Feedback Score
    I'm not very experienced but this is what i think. Maybe now with the sudden reduction of plants and all,there is less cover for them to hide in,and they feel stressed and cornered,so the only thing they can do is jump out and hope for the best. Usually CO2 poisoning or high levels of CO2 will cause ure shrimp to turn red and die and ure fish to hang out near the surface of the water and gasp for air. You might want to try putting a transparent lid on your tank to keep the fishes in and let the light pass thru as well. Some lfs sell the lid for 1.5ft tanks,if not,you could always take the measurements of your tank and go to a hardware shop and ask for transparent acrylic or something.[]

**hope i'm not giving false/bad information**

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Kahiang,
    Based on your pH/kH reading, it shouldn't be CO2 poisoning. I would suspect that you NH4/NO2 will be spiking quite high due to fert or dirt after you rescaping exercise. If you have a test kit, take a reading. If not, Just do 50% water change to help reduce the NH4/NO2 level.
    After re-scaping, did you also wash your filter?
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/22/2003 11:47:31 PM

Kahiang,
    Based on your pH/kH reading, it shouldn't be CO2 poisoning. I would suspect that you NH4/NO2 will be spiking quite high due to fert or dirt after you rescaping exercise.----------------
    Suggest doing the water change immediately, or as soon as you can. Hopefully the fishes and shrimps can take it. My last major rescape cost me 20 yamatoes but managed to save all the fishes with a quick 50% water change.
    ... always look at the bright side of life