Country
    Singapore

Re: Your Favourite Apistogramma!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by exotic_idiot View Post
    Like Bitaeniata? The females all look the same but out come when you breed out? Who knows what colours you may get?
    Try mixing different Bitaeniatas and you may get a different colour? Maybe one day, there will be Apistogramma sp "exotic_idiot" from the Bitaeniata variant.

Just for laughs, no offense.

Anyway, hows the apisto updates on everyone's side? Anyone successfully bred any apisto from your tanks? If so, please share! I am trying very hard on my side(diplos and pauciquamis), but i still cant see any fries. Maybe its the diet, have been feeding them only NLS cichlid formula. Should try some live bbs. The weather is also damn hot nowadays, don't blame them if they no mood.

I have also added in cardinals into my tank, read somewhere that apistos feel at ease particularly with cardinals as dithers. How accurate i am not sure, but one thing through observation though, the addition of cardinals into the tank reduces the aggression of my male apisto more compared to boraras.

I am talking about 5 boraras vs 5 cardinals with everything kept more or less constant except maybe for the hotter temperature recently.
    Last edited by marle; 20th Jun 2009 at 18:47.
    Adoketa, Breitbinden, Paciquamis, Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendezi, Inka, Agassizi, L046, L066, Crystal Red Shrimps

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Apistogramma mendezi
    by Don Kinyon
    Source: Here

Picture taken with Nokia E71.

Apistogramma mendezi comes from the black waters of the Rio Negro in Brazil. It is also said to inhabit sandy or muddy-bottomed creeks off the main river, and the water may be almost clear, but still soft and acidic. Officially described by Romer in 1994, it was named for environmentalist Chico Mendes.

The adult male is not one of the breath-takingly colorful Apistos, but is nonetheless attractive. Its fairly slender body is light brown, with a broad, dark brown stripe starting at the eye and ending in the tail. There are several thinner stripes below this main stripe and an eye stripe of the same color. The ventral and anal fins are blue and the dorsal can have shades of red, brown, yellow and blue. The lyreate tail is light brown with mottled dark brown markings. The female is rather nondescript except when courting or brood-caring, at which times she is bright yellow with black markings.

I started out with a trio of these fish and, to be honest, had no idea what to expect as information on fish this new to the hobby is hard to find. By making a nuisance of myself and asking questions of cichlid hobbyists I knew (and some I didn’t), and finding a book that included the fish, I felt confident enough to give it a try.

A fifteen gallon tank was set up to house the trio with very soft acidic water, 0° hardness, and under 5.5 pH. There were two sponge filters, some Java moss and bog wood for cover and several clay pots for them to choose from for breeding, or for the females to find refuge in.

After two weeks it was clear that this setup was not going to work. The male’s attentions had both females in hiding most of the time, and they were getting thinner from lack of eating. I removed the male and placed him in a community tank with much the same water conditions. The females then started to eat well and were soon large with eggs.

Unless the fish are all being conditioned for breeding in the same tank, whether it is cichlids, catfish, killis, or whatever, I generally don’t condition pairs or trios I condition the females. I have found that no matter what the food and water parameters are for the males, as long as they survive, they are ready to breed. The females always take more coaxing. (My wife proofreads for me, so that’s as far as I can pursue the point; You’ll have to make your own comparisons.)

Once the females were in breeding condition, I returned the male to the breeding tank. He immediately gave chase to the females, who were now more receptive. Within a week of feeding live and frozen foods: mosquito larvae; white worms; blood worms; chopped earth worms; and brine shrimp (same as the females had been fed for conditioning), the fish began to spawn.

Both females spawned in the same day, but neither batch of eggs hatched. Both spawns developed fungus on all the eggs. Only after I lowered the pH with dilute phosphoric acid did the eggs of subsequent spawns hatch. Sorry, but I can’t say what the magic number was; my test kit only goes down to 5.5. There were a good number of fry; each female had a brood, but in a few days their numbers started to drop dramatically. I never saw what happened, but I suspect the male was snacking on them. Wanting to save what I could, I removed about twenty young from the tank, and put them in a small rearing tank with the same water.

The fry were not unusual as far as Apistogramma go; they ate microworms and baby brine shrimp, grew and matured. With the close quarters of the three gallon tank, the young had no problem finding the food, but water changes twice a day were getting tedious, so I set up a twenty gallon for them. This worked out much better, and the young started staking claims to their own territories at six weeks old.

The fry are two months old at this writing, and near half an inch in length. They will now eat chopped frozen foods and are looking more like the parents. These Apistos are a bit more trouble than some to raise and breed, but I think any cichlid enthusiast will find them well worth the extra effort.

For More Information:
    Aqualog- Southamerican Cichlids II, Glaser, Glaser pgs. 50, 51, 57 pictures & info
    South American Dwarf Cichlids, Mayland, Bork pgs. 89, 90, 91 pictures & text

This article first appeared in PVAS’s Delta Tale, Vol 31, # 2
    Last edited by marle; 25th Jun 2009 at 18:42.
    Adoketa, Breitbinden, Paciquamis, Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendezi, Inka, Agassizi, L046, L066, Crystal Red Shrimps

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Check this website out(downloadable pdf format): http://www.hagen.com/pdf/aquatic/Nut...c_News_USA.pdf

They have setted up biotope aquariums mimicking RIO NEGRO, RIO NANAY & RIO GUAPORE!

Nowadays we live in a world where “wildlife conservation” and “appropriate animal husbandry” are written about extensively and the subject of legislation in many countries, including much of the European Union. People are no longer allowed to keep animals - or do anything, for that matter - according to their own ideas, and we must bear in mind that sooner or later it will likewise become obligatory to keep ornamental fishes “in the proper way” for the species in question. But how many people actually know what the proper way is for any particular species? How are they to find out? Neither the legislators nor the existing hobby literature offer any concrete help. How so? Because only a handful of people have conducted on-the-spot research and the legislators rely almost entirely on their data.

Last edited by marle; 25th Jun 2009 at 14:06.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by marle View Post
    Try mixing different Bitaeniatas and you may get a different colour? Maybe one day, there will be Apistogramma sp "exotic_idiot" from the Bitaeniata variant.

Just for laughs, no offense.

Anyway, hows the apisto updates on everyone's side? Anyone successfully bred any apisto from your tanks? If so, please share! I am trying very hard on my side(diplos and pauciquamis), but i still cant see any fries. Maybe its the diet, have been feeding them only NLS cichlid formula. Should try some live bbs. The weather is also damn hot nowadays, don't blame them if they no mood.

I have also added in cardinals into my tank, read somewhere that apistos feel at ease particularly with cardinals as dithers. How accurate i am not sure, but one thing through observation though, the addition of cardinals into the tank reduces the aggression of my male apisto more compared to boraras.

I am talking about 5 boraras vs 5 cardinals with everything kept more or less constant except maybe for the hotter temperature recently.
    Haha if there's my own Apistogramma sp "exotic_idiot" from the Bitaeniata variant.. I'll be so honour.. But if you really keen in breeding these days weather very hot, can add on fan to cool the water and with proper care & feeding, i don't think there's any problem. More worried about fishes falling sick with H1N1 so common now.. Wahaahaa
    Cheers,
    Ben
    Cheers,
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif"Ben"http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif
    Life is all about patience & perseverance,
    Failure is just another new beginning

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

diplos and pauciquamis
    Where's your apistogramma elizabethae tucano red?
    Gone heaven or sold off?
    Cheers,
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif"Ben"http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Recently there has been some rain. In fact its going to rain over here soon. The sky is already overcast.

Some of my Apistogrammas have gone into breeding mood. A lot of breeding dance going on. Hope to have some good news soon.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by limchongyu View Post
    Recently there has been some rain. In fact its going to rain over here soon. The sky is already overcast.

Some of my Apistogrammas have gone into breeding mood. A lot of breeding dance going on. Hope to have some good news soon.
    Yup but the weather needs to be consently cooling not hot then cold.. How to adapt to these kinds of weather? Humans will also fall sick not to mention about small fishes...
    Cheers,

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I read in the newspaper that the EL nino is coming back. The hot weather might last for another few months if the el nino is back.

BTW, my female ap.elizabaethe passed away while attempting another spawn recently. Left with 1 male and 11 fries. The eliz fries growth rate is quite fast.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

My A.uaupesi var "rotkeil" has spawned today! Unfortunately the female has been unable to keep the male off the eggs. By the time i realised the male has been snaking on the eggs there are only about 17 eggs left.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

My A.uaupesi var "rotkeil" has spawned today! Unfortunately the female has been unable to keep the male off the eggs. By the time i realised the male has been snaking on the eggs there are only about 17 eggs left.
    congrates bro! Hear to see your fries pic soon!
    Joe
    http://apistogramma.weebly.com/scope-apisto-blog.html
    Keeping Apisto Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendenzi, Miua, Peixoto, Bitaeniata, Rotkeil, Wilhelmi red, Agassizi Tefe Cacadora, Paucisquamis, N. Adoketa
    Apisto on sale (updated 7th Mar 13):
    http://apistogramma.weebly.com/apisto-trading-cart.html

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by exotic_idiot View Post
    Where's your apistogramma elizabethae tucano red?
    Gone heaven or sold off?
    You are referring to my Elizabethae pair? I sold it off due to lack o tank space at that point of time!

Quote Originally Posted by mobile2007 View Post
    I read in the newspaper that the EL nino is coming back. The hot weather might last for another few months if the el nino is back.

BTW, my female ap.elizabaethe passed away while attempting another spawn recently. Left with 1 male and 11 fries. The eliz fries growth rate is quite fast.
    Sorry to hear that. You put the male and the fries together?

Wow. I heard that Uaupesi is a hard to breed apisto. Congratulations! Show us some pictures soon!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Unfortunately, the female has eaten up the eggs. Either she got spooked when I removed the male or the eggs have fungused.

Anyway I managed to get some blur pictures of the eggs yesterday. Will try to load them up tonight.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Unfortunately, the female has eaten up the eggs. Either she got spooked when I removed the male or the eggs have fungused.

Anyway I managed to get some blur pictures of the eggs yesterday. Will try to load them up tonight.
    Congrates... At least you know they are a compareable pair...
    Always first time parents not much experiences...
    Give them a bit more time.. Feed well sooner you'll be rewarded...!
    Cheers,

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Artificially Raising Substrate Spawning Fish
    Great for angels and Central American Fish

Hobbyists have been artificially raising substrate-spawning fish for many years. This technique is popular for angelfish, Central American Cichlids and other substrate-spawning fish with small eggs.

Some hobbyists feel that artificially raising fry (i.e. pulling the spawn) weakens the pair bond of the fish. This notion has not been explored scientifically. It should be pointed out the the majority of angelfish breeders raise fry artificially.

There are as many ways to raise fry as there are aquarium hobbyists. Review the technique below and adapt it to your specific needs.

Some pictures from the site:

Read the complete article here: http://www.gcca.net/howto/hatch_substrate_spawners.htm
    Last edited by marle; 30th Jun 2009 at 10:43.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

More for making profits fast and not enjoying the fun.
    The bonding? I'm not sure but one thing i'm very sure is that the eggs been stolen, the mother fish must be really worried..
    Is it that fish can't talk and complain, we humans can do as we like?
    Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I think part of the fun of keeping cichlids is seeing parental care for fry. Unless the pair repeatedly fails to keep the brood, I personally would prefer to keep the eggs with the parents.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

woo congrats chongyu, master apisto breeder!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Lol please don't embarass me in front of all the real master apisto breeders here. I'm only a novice.
    Plus it was a failed spawning, the eggs were already gone on second day.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Lol please don't embarass me in front of all the real master apisto breeders here. I'm only a novice.
    Plus it was a failed spawning, the eggs were already gone on second day.
    Don't worry....the 20-day cycle is very fast....eggs will come again..
    The next round, you may save some fries from the new batch.
    Joe
    http://apistogramma.weebly.com/scope-apisto-blog.html
    Keeping Apisto Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendenzi, Miua, Peixoto, Bitaeniata, Rotkeil, Wilhelmi red, Agassizi Tefe Cacadora, Paucisquamis, N. Adoketa
    Apisto on sale (updated 7th Mar 13):
    http://apistogramma.weebly.com/apisto-trading-cart.html

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Random power shots!

Apisto. sp. BREITBINDEN
    Source: www.aquariumfarm.com

& finally,

Special Guest: Check out their tails. Too crazy.

Source:Aquagrass Forum
    Last edited by marle; 2nd Jul 2009 at 14:02.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast