2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Your Favourite Apistogramma!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hehe no wander somebody keep quiet about selling his trio???
    Good luck seems like very high chance you got eggs now, coming out soon. Congrates....!
    Cheers,
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif"Ben"http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif
    Life is all about patience & perseverance,
    Failure is just another new beginning

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Guys, remember on my previous post i said about diy apisto food? I am testing the food on my A.Mendezi now. Its the 5th day and my A.Mendezi is doing fine still! In fact, I find that the colouration has shown some improvement!

I will test it on the Mendezi for one month and change my recipe to cater to the needs of the Apisto! Currently, the all natural recipe is packed with vitamins and ingredients to enhance colour, and to promote growth. Next up, i will add garlic to the overall recipe to prevent internal bacteria. I am also thinking of what ingredient to add to increase breeding rates too!

Any suggestions?

Last edited by marle; 13th Jul 2009 at 20:12.
    Adoketa, Breitbinden, Paciquamis, Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendezi, Inka, Agassizi, L046, L066, Crystal Red Shrimps

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by exotic_idiot View Post
    Hehe no wander somebody keep quiet about selling his trio???
    Good luck seems like very high chance you got eggs now, coming out soon. Congrates....!
    haha, nope, the pauciquamis hasn't shown any signs. Not yet. Maybe if they finally do breed... i will be famous in the local apistogramma industry!!!
    Last edited by marle; 13th Jul 2009 at 20:13.
    Adoketa, Breitbinden, Paciquamis, Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendezi, Inka, Agassizi, L046, L066, Crystal Red Shrimps

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

chopped up earthworms may help to get your apistos in the mood

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by marle View Post
    Guys, remember on my previous post i said about diy apisto food? I am testing the food on my A.Mendezi now. Its the 5th day and my A.Mendezi is doing fine still! In fact, I find that the colouration has shown some improvement!

I will test it on the Mendezi for one month and change my recipe to cater to the needs of the Apisto! Currently, the all natural recipe is packed with vitamins and ingredients to enhance colour, and to promote growth. Next up, i will add garlic to the overall recipe to prevent internal bacteria. I am also thinking of what ingredient to add to increase breeding rates too!

Any suggestions?

Bro,
    Indeed they had shown improved coloration.....i guess they will breed much readilty with your new recipe....Great sharing
    Joe
    http://apistogramma.weebly.com/scope-apisto-blog.html
    Keeping Apisto Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendenzi, Miua, Peixoto, Bitaeniata, Rotkeil, Wilhelmi red, Agassizi Tefe Cacadora, Paucisquamis, N. Adoketa
    Apisto on sale (updated 7th Mar 13):
    http://apistogramma.weebly.com/apisto-trading-cart.html

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Live adults brine shrimps will do the trick...!
    Breeding mode plus colour enhancement
    Everyday eat you can see their colours improve and the fish also more lively
    What i like is that you'll see them chasing after their food like more naturally out in the wild...
    If you diy too much food and left uneaten will foul your water so beware!
    Cheers,
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif"Ben"http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif
    Life is all about patience & perseverance,
    Failure is just another new beginning

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks exotic_idiot,scope and illumnae!

Today marks a very special day for me!

Somewhere on a tiny Island call Sillypore
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Wah, so many nice apistos! congrats on your spawn.
    Eugene (^_^)
    De Dwergcichlide Fanatiek
    Now swimming: Plecos and Apistogrammas

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Bro, what are those wriggling around the cave? oh on, yr tank infected with planaria.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Congrats on your spawn marle. With the amount of TLC you give them, its only a matter of time
    -clint- ~apisto keepers unite!~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Nice spawn for the Breitbinden! i guess they bred only after 2 weeks you brought them. Wow! This is indeed great new! Hope to see your nice pictures on their growth
    Joe
    Keeping Apisto Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendenzi, Miua, Peixoto, Bitaeniata, Rotkeil, Wilhelmi red, Agassizi Tefe Cacadora, Paucisquamis, N. Adoketa

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Updates: The mother got a scare as i camped at the tank taking pictures. It swallowed a few of them in front of me. However, i was told she will throw the fries out later. Is she transporting them to safety?

exotic_idiot
    : I heeded your advice. Got them Adult Brine Shrimps today. Prefer them to worms. Don't really like the iggly wiggly stuff. Lol.

Illumnae: I will very much like to feed them earthworms, but not sure where to get them. Plus chopped up earthworms? Damn. I remember those times about a decade back when i was keeping luohans, i fed them mealworms as treats. Once, i forgot about my live mealworms at the top of the shelf and they evolved into bugs. The dowager at home screamed. Afterwhich, i never fed any of my fishes worms other than tubifex.

iwishweallcouldwin
    : hey thanks! Looking forward to your F1s! Hows life for you? Didn't see you as active recently.

mobile2007
    : lol, i wished there were planaria! Provide a food source to the fishes. I also got them tetrabits today. I saw the protein content. 47.5%. Massive. I doubt NLS pellets has such high protein content. Protein aids growth, and hopefully makes them more horny.

Scope: Ah yes.. Thanks joe! Approximately 2 weeks. They are of a good size. Sexy female. Hunky male.

genes: Thanks! Lots to learn from you.
    Last edited by marle; 15th Jul 2009 at 00:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

actually NLS growth has about 50% protein content. Also, protein content doesn't mean usable protein content. For example, fish don't synthesize plant proteins, but it's included in the protein analysis. Hence, the 47.5% protein may well include lots of plant protein and little to no animal protein, which makes it similar to junk food.

Further, you have to look at ash content. If I'm not mistaken, tetrabits has 14% or so of ash. That means, for every pellet eaten by your fish, 14% is like eating dust. It also contribute to water pollution when the fish passes it out. Good foods have less than 10% ash.

Finally, you see that ingredient called "fish meal" near the top of the ingredient list? Usually if you see just "fish meal" and nothing else, alot of fish bone is being included into the mix. Costs are cut, and the ingredient list sounds good. The good foods like Omega One, Ocean Nutrition and NLS, you will see whole fish, whole squid etc being put as ingredients instead. Less filler, more good stuff.

There's alot of little stuff to consider if you're interested in giving your fish the best possible food. I've done a few weeks worth of research into this, and the summary of the conclusion is that if you want the best possible bottled food for your fish, stick with Omega One or NLS. I use NLS as I find Omega One tends to produce more "oily film" on the surface after feeding.

To promote breeding, I've imported earthworm sticks from kensfish in the US. Very good spawning inducer.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    actually NLS growth has about 50% protein content. Also, protein content doesn't mean usable protein content. For example, fish don't synthesize plant proteins, but it's included in the protein analysis. Hence, the 47.5% protein may well include lots of plant protein and little to no animal protein, which makes it similar to junk food.

Further, you have to look at ash content. If I'm not mistaken, tetrabits has 14% or so of ash. That means, for every pellet eaten by your fish, 14% is like eating dust. It also contribute to water pollution when the fish passes it out. Good foods have less than 10% ash.

Finally, you see that ingredient called "fish meal" near the top of the ingredient list? Usually if you see just "fish meal" and nothing else, alot of fish bone is being included into the mix. Costs are cut, and the ingredient list sounds good. The good foods like Omega One, Ocean Nutrition and NLS, you will see whole fish, whole squid etc being put as ingredients instead. Less filler, more good stuff.

There's alot of little stuff to consider if you're interested in giving your fish the best possible food. I've done a few weeks worth of research into this, and the summary of the conclusion is that if you want the best possible bottled food for your fish, stick with Omega One or NLS. I use NLS as I find Omega One tends to produce more "oily film" on the surface after feeding.

To promote breeding, I've imported earthworm sticks from kensfish in the US. Very good spawning inducer.
    That is extremely extremely insightful. Thank you!

Oh yes, i read about your earthworm sticks a couple of weeks ago. Nice! Anyone wants to share some earthworm sticks in the future please contact me. Maybe can mass buy or something.

Earthworm Sticks (illumnae, don't mind i dig up this link)- http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ight=earthworm
    Last edited by marle; 15th Jul 2009 at 00:21.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

close up shot.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

close up shot.

Nice shot!
    I guess we got the chance to see many posting on the grown of these fries.
    Thanks for sharing
    Joe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Cool! Blue fries!
    -clint- ~apisto keepers unite!~

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post

On a similar note, I'd like to add that while reading the contents of each food pack, the Tropical brand Color Tabin has THE most comprehensive ingredient list I have ever seen.

Check it out:
    Ingredients: fish and fish derivatives, cereals, vegetable protein extracts, molluscs and crustaceans, meat
    and animal derivatives, yeasts, derivatives of vegetable origin, milk and milk derivatives, eggs and egg
    derivatives, algae, oils and fats, minerals.

Feed additives: vitamin A 28 000 IU/kg, vitamin D3 1 750 IU/kg, vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol acetate) 120 mg/kg, vitamin C (ascorbic acid phosphate) 210 mg/kg, lecithin. Coloured with EU-permitted additional substances. With EU-permitted antioxidants.

Now, I'm not trying to hard sell here, as I have tried it and fish don't recognize it as food initially but I'm thinking it should be worth a try as well. I use NLS as well, and its one of the few foods that even wild fish can recognize as food at the first try. Could be caused by the scent of fish.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

fish and fish derivatives sounds like fish meal to me (ie a little fish, alot of derivatives), cereals and vegetable protein extracts are 2nd and 3rd on the list (US regulations you list according to %age of content).

Those top 3 content make me wary of the food.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Malaysia

I suppose Tropical is a european brand (Polish, if I remember correctly) and hence they don't have to list the percentage stuff.

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast