Country
    Singapore

Re: Your Favourite Apistogramma!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by genes View Post
    For my diplos. Africana plus peat = more females. Room temp.
    Very insightful. Different from norms. Maybe its different with regards to A.Diplotaenias?

Any other breeders can share their experiences?

A. (cf.) bitaeniata in Pebas

On a side note, the following article is about this guy going to the Peruvian Amazon, exploring dwarf-cichlid-habitats and collecting fish. Might be a fun read to A.Bitaeniata lovers.

Some pictures from the website:

*wished it was my hand holding this tank.

Visit the webpage here for the whole article.

The website also consists of other interesting articles such as:
    -Various Apisto news
    -Collecting Apistogramma sp. Papagei ( A91 )
    -Why do Apistogramma females steal fry from other females?
    -The hunt for the true Apistogramma cruzi ( A83 )
    -Etc.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by marle; 25th Apr 2009 at 14:11.
    Adoketa, Breitbinden, Paciquamis, Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendezi, Inka, Agassizi, L046, L066, Crystal Red Shrimps

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Apistogramma bitaeniata "Shishita"! The yellow. I like. Thanks for the info.

Somewhere on a tiny Island call Sillypore
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Wow, i see what i think are Copella arnoldi, not too sure and Nannostromus marginatus in the tank too! Thanks for the link!

It must have been hardwork. I can only see 3 females and a male bitaeniata in the tank. Explains why these fishes cost so much!
    Last edited by genes; 25th Apr 2009 at 20:39.
    Eugene (^_^)
    De Dwergcichlide Fanatiek
    Now swimming: Plecos and Apistogrammas

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by barmby View Post
    I doubt you guys like Apistogramma Eunotus. haha..So much for plain = attractive
    A. eunotus is nice! Wait till you see a specimen with the signature red patch at the base of the pectoral fins and a blue sheen on the face. Really good and hard to come by quality.
    Eugene (^_^)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for sharing marle. Very interesting. Aiyo, you should be mugging now.
    -clint- ~apisto keepers unite!~

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by barmby View Post
    Apistogramma bitaeniata "Shishita"! The yellow. I like. Thanks for the info.
    I like too! But no tank space.

Quote Originally Posted by genes View Post
    Wow, i see what i think are Copella arnoldi, not too sure and Nannostromus marginatus in the tank too! Thanks for the link!

It must have been hardwork. I can only see 3 females and a male bitaeniata in the tank. Explains why these fishes cost so much!
    Copella arnoldi?? Nannostromus marginatus??

Sounds new to me. Learning learning!

Quote Originally Posted by iwishweallcouldwin View Post
    Thanks for sharing marle. Very interesting. Aiyo, you should be mugging now.
    The probable reason why the sudden increase in my posts is probably due to that.

Damn (exams). Don't remind me.
    Last edited by marle; 26th Apr 2009 at 02:46.
    Adoketa, Breitbinden, Paciquamis, Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendezi, Inka, Agassizi, L046, L066, Crystal Red Shrimps

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Double the Lines, Double the Fun: Keeping and Breeding Apistogramma diplotaenia
    By Zack Wilson

I acquired a small group of Apistogramma diplotaenia early in May of '02. The Double-Banded Apisto had been on my fish "hit list" for some time, but limited availability and the associated price had kept me from them. I'm not that patient, but, being a cheap American hobbyist, I wasn't going to pay a cent more than I had to in order to get them, rare or not. It's one of our flaws perhaps, but it's also one of the luxuries of being an American. The diplos were brought to Minnesota by a fellow Apistophile who had come to give a talk at our local club. As soon as they were brought out of the bag, I and fellow club members Randy Carey and Tim Rutz frenzied over them and they were claimed within moments. Randy took eight little juveniles and Tim took what were supposed to be two pairs. I ended up getting four juveniles.

I took my allotment home and put them in a 10 gallon quarantine/holding tank along with a pair I had acquired earlier. They were only about 3/4" long, so I didn't figure it was worth setting them up for breeding yet. The aquarium was set up with fine sand substrate, a couple of small clay caves, a small piece of driftwood, and a big clump of Java Moss. They took to this setup quickly and ate their twice daily feedings of baby brine shrimp with enthusiasm. Within a week it became apparent that there was only one female in the group of four new ones (an interesting note is that all of the fish that went to Randy and Tim were apparently males. I got the one lucky female!). She became plump and her belly turned a light shade of pink. At this time I was able to observe some of the interesting communications that Apistogramma diplotaenia displays with the use of their lateral bands. Under normal circumstances their double-bands are fused to form one thick lateral band along the length of their bodies. When the female was gravid and ready to spawn, the lateral band suddenly faded in the middle and her belly became transparent to the point that I could actually see what looked like eggs in her belly. She would swim up to a male and show off her stomach and he would follow her around for a bit. The males jockeyed for position and territory and eventually the male from the other pair proved his dominance, taking over the front half of the tank (the half where the food was squirted I noticed). Shortly thereafter they spawned on the side of the tank. I was excited to see this, but the spawn was eaten just hours after. This wasn't surprising to me, as this was their first time and they hadn't chosen the best spot to spawn. They were young too, and I hadn't even excpected them to be breeding yet. Getting them to spawn was something though, and I was encouraged. It also gave me the opportunity to observe another characteristic. The eggs of diplos are creamy white in color, rather than the typical pink or purple of most apistos. Diplotaenia lives over relatively open sandy flats in the rivers of South America, and with the lack of cover for the eggs, they have had to have other ways of protecting their eggs from predation. The whitish eggs and wigglers blend very well with the light sand of their habitat, and unless they move the fry are difficult to see.

With the success of that spawn, I decided that they were ready to breed, so I made efforts to make things more hospitable for raising young. With several other fish breeding in my room, my tank space was at a premium, so I had to leave the pair in the 10. I removed the other males to a grow out tank with some other apistos and left only the pair in the 10 gallon. I did 40% water changes for a few days in a row with pure RO, bringing the TDS down to 18ppm. The temperature was set at 79F. I fed them twice daily with freshly hatched baby brine shrimp in the morning and chopped blackworms or Cyclop-eeze in the evening. Within a couple more weeks the female had become plump again and I could see she would spawn soon. The way I see it, if you have the water right, all you have to do is feed them enough good foods and they'll be so full they have to spawn. My feeling proved correct and on 6/2/02 the female disappeared into one of the clay caves. She re-emerged periodically to grab a bite to eat or to take a look around, but she stayed attached to her cave. She had also become noticeably thinner, another indicator that they had spawned. I didn't have the courage to check the cave for eggs or wigglers for fear of disturbing them and losing the batch, so I resolved to wait it out. I hate waiting. Each day I came to the tank and checked to see if she was still guarding her cave, and each day I was pleasantly greeted by her popping her nose out to look about. On the seventh day she made her first appearance with her free-swimmers. She took them for a short tour around her little terriritory and then kept them in a sand depression next to the mouth of the cave. I fed them with baby brine shrimp that had been hatched as short a time as possible to make sure the nauplii were small enough. They appeared to be eating ok. I was ecstatic. I hadn't expected to have success so early on, and I was thrilled to be seeing my rare little fish with babies of their own. The fry schooled tightly and the mother kept a close watch over them. The father was tolerated well by the female and he kept a watchful eye over things from a short distance. The pair would communicate frequently through the use of their lateral bands, changing all shades and patterns over this area. I found them to be very expressive. Things were pleasantly harmonious in the little 10 and I was happy. The fry grew at a reasonable pace and at three weeks they were ready to be moved to a growout tank.

Both parents and the fry have continued to do well and I have thoroughly enjoyed my experiences with this little fish. They have spawned again since then and continue to get along swimmingly. In a genus that contains dozens or hundreds of species, diplotaenia has managed to stand out as a very unique species. Hopefully they can remain established in the hobby so that future enthusiasts can enjoy this different little apisto. Double Bands really to mean more fun!

http://www.thedigitalfishroom.com/articles/diplos.shtml

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Great article....good sharing!
    Joe
    http://apistogramma.weebly.com/scope-apisto-blog.html
    Keeping Apisto Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendenzi, Miua, Peixoto, Bitaeniata, Rotkeil, Wilhelmi red, Agassizi Tefe Cacadora, Paucisquamis, N. Adoketa
    Apisto on sale (updated 7th Mar 13):
    http://apistogramma.weebly.com/apisto-trading-cart.html

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Breeding A.sp."Mouthbrooder" (Maulbrueter)

Some really fascinating pictures followed with an article on breeding this particular "A.Mouthbrooder".

Female cleaning clutch of eggs(Really spectecular)

This is the breeding tank. You clearly can see all the pits the female dug in the sand.

Female with fry.

Read the article from day 1 to 4 of the spawn here.
    Last edited by marle; 29th Apr 2009 at 13:14.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Cichlid Fry Development

M.ramirezi eggs just before hatching. Deposited on Amazon sword plant leave.

These two photo show some nice cherry red Apistogramma panduro eggs. These eggs were deposited inside of a terra cotta cave. Those eggs are probably a week old. They are few days away from hatching. The "whitish" egg in the center of the first photo developed a fungus. Unfortunately, it won't hatch. Female cichlids usually remove "bad" eggs from the batch to avoid fungusing on the rest of their eggs. You can see the remaining shells of the removed eggs in both photos.

Fresh hatched Apistogramma resticulosa larvae. This larvae hatched only a few hrs ago. The eyes are undeveloped and the body contours are still transparent .The yolk sack is still has its original egg size.

Read the whole article here.
    Last edited by marle; 29th Apr 2009 at 13:16.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Some not very popular Apistogrammas but displays nice finnage.

Source: Unknown, wished they were mine though! A friend sent the pictures to me.

Apistogramma Pertensis

Apistogramma sp. "Mamore Red Fin"

Apistogramma sp. "Breitbinden" (Orinoco Variant)

Apistogramma Iniridae

Apistogramma Uaupesi(Edited, courtesy of Bro Scope)
    Last edited by marle; 29th Apr 2009 at 14:24.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The last picture shall be Apistogramma uaupesi.
    I guess some of these are always rarely available, not that they are not popular.
    Joe
    http://apistogramma.weebly.com/scope-apisto-blog.html
    Keeping Apisto Diplotaenia, Elizabethae, Mendenzi, Miua, Peixoto, Bitaeniata, Rotkeil, Wilhelmi red, Agassizi Tefe Cacadora, Paucisquamis, N. Adoketa
    Apisto on sale (updated 7th Mar 13):
    http://apistogramma.weebly.com/apisto-trading-cart.html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

they're not popular i think because they aren't exactly the most vibrantly coloured apistos. But their finnage is magnificent. I've recently taken an interest to these species too

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I used to own a pair of A. uaupesi, really hard to come by!
    -clint- ~apisto keepers unite!~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

There was once biotope brought in very nice wild A. breitbinden, some bros here bought them. And i remembered their latest shipment of A. uaupesi bred in the shop!
    Eugene (^_^)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Lets Rock and Roll with Apistogrammas! The poison has entered deep.

Source: A friend sent his pictures to me, they aren't mine! Enjoy!

Apistogramma Eremnopyge from Peru

I want some too!
    Last edited by marle; 9th May 2009 at 03:51.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Apistogramma sp "BREITBINDEN" This is one of those Apistogrammas i feel the beauty really grows into you.

Female!
    Last edited by marle; 9th May 2009 at 03:19.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Apistogramma sp. "Black-chin/Schwarzkinn

Last edited by genes; 9th May 2009 at 10:11.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Apistogrmma sp Jurua Unsure if name is correct. If i am wrong, please let me know!

the tail... THE TAIL!

Juvenile times i guess.
    Last edited by marle; 9th May 2009 at 03:12.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Apistogramma Paucisquamis Hehehe, this is my current Favourite Apistogramma species! very Very VERY Fierce.

Last edited by marle; 9th May 2009 at 03:20.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast