Country
    Singapore

Some growth on my Java Moss mesh

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi

Is this Java moss growing or some other plants. It looks thin daggling lines. above my java moss.

Lost my picture.... how come? strange....

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_tMMLRvBoNos/Sb...0/DSC00009.JPG

Last edited by pcfreak; 13th Mar 2009 at 11:09.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Re: Some growth on my Java Moss mesh

Looks like bladderwort to me. Similar to, if not, utricularia gibba:

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, picture is not clear in order to determine specific growth.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

It's definitely a bladderwort. Czyne and I had some that looked just like what you're showing ride in on some other plants. Some people like Utricularia, but this type isn't so pretty and it's hard to get rid of at times. I can't see a point in keeping it if you're capable of growing HC. If you want to eliminate it, removing it mechanically will help. If pulling it out by hand doesn't work, regular dosing with flourish excel seems to slow its growth considerably.

-Philosophos

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I had been dosing with Escel as this is a no CO2 tank.

Wonder how it got there.... i got bought the Java moss from a fellow forumer. When i got it it dun look contaminated.

Any ideas on how it got there bros and sis?

Quote Originally Posted by Philosophos View Post
    It's definitely a bladderwort. Czyne and I had some that looked just like what you're showing ride in on some other plants. Some people like Utricularia, but this type isn't so pretty and it's hard to get rid of at times. I can't see a point in keeping it if you're capable of growing HC. If you want to eliminate it, removing it mechanically will help. If pulling it out by hand doesn't work, regular dosing with flourish excel seems to slow its growth considerably.

-Philosophos

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Excel AND it's growing like that? Seems different than my experience, but I haven't done any rigorous testing for its growth conditions. Ours came in as a couple little 1cm strands; something that could easily hide in java moss. It took about 2 weeks to end up with about the same amount as you're showing. I believe the carnivorous nature of the genus Utricularia makes it very adaptable and fast growing. Its larger base of available nutrient sources makes it easier to achieve non-limiting growth compared many other plants.

-Philosophos

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

At least now that the strands have grown out some, they should be pretty easy to remove After plucking out anything visible, ours was gone pretty quickly; either we got it all or it died off on its own. It's not that bad of a "contamination" as far as contaminants go, at least IME. Since we don't know how long ago you got the java moss, it's hard to tell how rapidly it's growing. Could be very easy for you to get rid of as well.