Images
    Country
    Singapore

new pics of 2ft tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi just bought a digicam so took some photos of my little tank. comments and suggestions on tank welcom

view here:
    http://dhht.tripod.com/daquaria.htm

p/s: alfa: sorry your APP become only so little .

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi David,
    Long time no hear from you.....

Anyway, I do like your Java Fern 'Windelov' effect. However, the tank looks very green although you have the Red Tiger Lotus inside.

How is the growth for the New Zealand grass... easy, fast?
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hotlink the URL for you...

http://dhht.tripod.com/daquaria.htm

However, it's exceeded it hourly bandwidth limit at the moment, so I couldn't see it. []
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    hi...

am new to this hobby and i have been trying to set up a alrite looking planted tank...

my present tank looks very green.. any suggestion to change the look of it? will prefer plants tt are hardier cos of lack of substrate in my tank (did not know abt it initailly and now too late to add in). am adding liquid fertilizer daily...

Thanks.

Chris

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Scang,

If you don't have any base ferts in your substrate, then you have a few options available...

1) Tear down and restart
    2) Spot fertilization - Use things like tetra initial sticks, JBL 7 balls, ista laterite balls, bioplast depo mineral balls... these things are designed to be inserted directly in the substrate.
    3) Spot fertilization with a base fert - OK, this can be messy if not done correctly. Take a disposable cup, cut off the bottom, and shove the cup into your gravel. Then use your hand to scoop out the gravel inside the cup. Now take your base fert and deposit it into the area inside the cup (This is the messy part). You have to decide how best to do this depending on what fert you use. Finally cover up with gravel and remove the cup. If you are doing large areas, you can change to something larger like a pep bottle instead of a cup...
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/24/2003 1:24:59 PM

3) Spot fertilization with a base fert - OK, this can be messy if not done correctly. Take a disposable cup, cut off the bottom, and shove the cup into your gravel. Then use your hand to scoop out the gravel inside the cup. Now take your base fert and deposit it into the area inside the cup (This is the messy part). You have to decide how best to do this depending on what fert you use. Finally cover up with gravel and remove the cup. If you are doing large areas, you can change to something larger like a pep bottle instead of a cup...
    ----------------
    Wah learn something new But its gonna be real messy I think.
    ... always look at the bright side of life

Feedback Score
    think i have considered those options before...

here's the mega headache... the present filtration that i am using is undergravel filter.. what i understand is that you cannot add base fert if u r using undergravel...am i rite?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 2/24/2003 1:24:59 PM

----------------

Hi Allen,
    I have been thinking of how to do this (cos also start up with no base fert) until I show a tool by ADA that re-introduces base fert. This leads me to create something similar but not sure if it will work.

Would like to get some advice before I start. My plan is to have a short tube with a modified syringe at one end. Tube inner diameter 5-10mm preferably solid plastic tube. Fill base fert into syringe and insert the other end of the tube into the gravel and push out the base fert into the gravel.

What is your opinion on this? Seems like smaller tube will be less messy. of course, the hands still have to be in the water.
    []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm sorry to hijack this thread.
    Can one of the moderators help to move this to another thread. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Addie,

Mods don't have any special tools to split your post into a new thread. We still have to cut and paste, etc. So, don't mind doing it yourself? I'll gladly delete your post from here once you're done.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    How you do the topping up of the base fert really depends on what you use... For example, I know some people who tom up with laterite base actually shove their laterite into the freezer. Subsequentyly when the stuff is rock hard, they let just shove it under the gravel and let it thaw there... minimal fuss.

For me when I did this, I had some small little sticks (looks like lizard s.hit - I hope its not) So after I had the gravel cleaned out, I put the stuff in a bowl, and then slowly submerged the bowl making sure the stuff doesn't fly out. Once the bowl was completely underwater, it was just a matter of moving the bowl to the spot, and emptying the contents in.

Addie,

As for the shringe idea, it could work... but bear in mind that shringes are design to work with liquids and not solids... I suspect your shringe outlet would get clogged up instead. Perhaps you could try using those funnels which bakeries use to apply cream onto cakes...

I just had an idea!! Extending the freezing idea, you could take almost any substrate, mix it with a bit of water and let it freeze. If you use the same size disposable cup as the one you cut up, the frozen substrate should fit quite nicely in the hole you dug, and dropping it in should be no problem. Don't ask me what freezing does to your substrate though... I have no idea.

Scang,

We normally don't use Under gravel filters in planted aquaria cuz it might suck up your substrate and cause it to leech into your water column.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Davidd,

I must apologize... on replying scang, I seem to have diverted the entire thread... Its at times like this that I wish the forum software had some tools available for us to split threads, or rename them.

Addie, Scang and anyone else

Please start another thread if you want to continue discussions on the fertilization issue.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi all
    thanks for visiting the thread []
    although not in the way expected.

Sherwin: well the Lilieopsis (or something) was the fastest to establish itself, sending out runners within a few days of planting. I was regretting planting it cos it spoilt the look I wanted: a hairgrass field. but now all the grasses are mixing well into some lalang patch so I dont mind

How to add more red ah? I also wonder..

but today, a day after taking the photos, I spotted... BBA!!!!!!!!!!
    havent' had it for more than a year already...couild be the increased CO2 I put in to support the hairgrass.. or is it the Pflanzengold 7?

btw, those who use Pflanzengold 7 , how do u dose? I followed instructions to break open the capsule and mix in the water, but found my fish happily munching on the undissolved bits! wwas very scared tht they'd die or something.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Davidd,
    Now i know your secret on BBA free plants - Gold 7. May i know what is your tank temparature?

p/s:Glad to know that the plants are growing well in your tank esp HG(Just as i expected!).
    Aquatic plants and LEGO collector.