Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Nannostomus trifasciatus (3 line) ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Nannostomus trifasciatus (3 line) ?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Was at Aquaria Pacific over the weekend & saw these pencils.
    At 1st, thought they are 3 lines, with their typical red at the tip of the mouth & 2 red dots at the tail fin.
    Later, uncle pointed out that there are 2-3 red markings on their bodies also.

Looks like the one on the pic. below, except for the extra red dots of the body.

Something like this, with red markings.

Is it common for 3-lines to have red markings on their bodies ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Seems like there is always a lot of confusion on these species:

Nannostomus trifasciatus (three line pencilfish)
    Nannostomus erthrurus (black three line pencilfish)
    Nannostomus marginatus (dwarf pencilfish)
    Nannostomus sp. (dwarf golden pencilfish)

I was looking at Tropical Fish Collection Vol 2, trifasciatus can have red marking on body, like the pic you posted. These variation in the red marketings are due to collection from different regions in South America.

The black three line pencilfish does not have red marking on the body at all.

N. marginatus is often passed of as the three line pencilfish in the local LFS, but can be easily identified by the lack of red markings on the tail and a thin red strip on it's body. The dwarf golden pencilfish has similar markings with marginatus, except the gold coloration is pronounced.

In addition to the above, there is a lot of interbreeding amongst the species that result is even more confusing physical features.

This is suppose to be a 3 line pencil, but the body shape is that of the marginatus, with the characteristic red marking that's attached the black stripe, unlike the trifasciatus, which is separated. In addition, trifasciatus/erythrurus does not have a thin black line/trim on the dorsal fin, although they have the red markings on the tail.

Confusing...

Cheers
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    eng chuan, thats wat lfs call '5 spot pencilfish'. one thing I notice mine, they attack BBA

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    both the marginatus (dwarf) and trifasciatus (3-line) exhibit a red dash behind the pectoral (this is the fin behind the gills right?). this is especially obvious after lights out and they start to lose their colours, then the red dash will be easier to see.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica