Thread: Aggasizzi 'rio tapajos' - help i think they are ready to

Feedback Score

Aggasizzi 'rio tapajos' - help i think they are ready to

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi appistosfanatics,

The female used to have this thick black line that flows horizontally from head across the body till the end of the tail. last friday (21-2-2003) i noticed my female was looking really yellow, and the thick black horizontal marking was gone, and replaced by a single black dot in the middle of the body on each side.

She was more aggressive towards the male. she was also showing her belly to the male constantly, until the male really get darn aggitated, and eventually chase her away...this was repeated many times.

today she is constantly confronting the male. wagging her tail at the male everytime the met face to face. and yes, she is using the 'cave' flower pot.

Do i have a high chance of a spawn?

can i change water during this period?

is it advisable to lift up the 'cave' to see if there is egg in there? if not how can i be sure if she laid eggs?

assuming the eggs are in the 'cave', what must i prepare for?

how long does it takes for the eggs to hatch?

must i take out the male & otto?

thanks in advance for your advise...i am so excited about this, thus pardon me for asking so many questions ;p

ron

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The female used to have this thick black line that flows horizontally from head across the body till the end of the tail. last friday (21-2-2003) i noticed my female was looking really yellow, and the thick black horizontal marking was gone, and replaced by a single black dot in the middle of the body on each side.

She was more aggressive towards the male. she was also showing her belly to the male constantly, until the male really get darn aggitated, and eventually chase her away...this was repeated many times.

today she is constantly confronting the male. wagging her tail at the male everytime the met face to face. and yes, she is using the 'cave' flower pot.
    yup, thats a sign of spawning, prolly she has laid the eggs and urging the male to fertilize the eggs...

Do i have a high chance of a spawn?
    depending on the pair, some never have successful spawn, only time will tell

can i change water during this period?
    no, never alter the parameter of the water, especially, if u suspect the female has laid her eggs, but water change induce spawning

is it advisable to lift up the 'cave' to see if there is egg in there? if not how can i be sure if she laid eggs?
    never disturb the female, that means, moving the 'cave', only move if u wanna remove the eggs to hatch artifically. If the female is stressed, she will eat the eggs

assuming the eggs are in the 'cave', what must i prepare for?
    wait, if successful, u shld see wrigglers in 48-72hrs

how long does it takes for the eggs to hatch?

must i take out the male & otto?
    wait and see, some male will eat their own fry.. if he does it, remove him at the next spawn

additional tips
    1) try not to stare at the pair, additional stress will end up with eggs eaten up
    2) try not to do any extra things
    3) feed the female well
    4) instead of looking or searching for the eggs, i suggest u leave them and let nature take it's course

good luck

Feedback Score
    Chances are your female has spawned. Her behaviour is normal for female apistos tt have laid eggs. Just keep them happy,well fed but don't over feed,u will want to try keeping the water quality stable and over feeding will foul up your water faster. Don't stare at them too much and all,let them do their thing and if your luck is good,u'll be seeing a lil cloud of fry swimmin soon.Don't move the cave pot around cos tt will stress your fish and she might end up eating her eggs. Also, if this is the female's first spawn. Don't be too sad if she eats her eggs. They sometimes do tt, just let them be and eventually they'll learn. Read the article written by benetay in the cichlids section of the forum. It should answer most of your questions and lay to rest your doubts. Also,read the article in the apistogramma section of www.biotopeshop.com . Hope this helps
    Cheers and all the best to you apistos![]

Feedback Score
    liao! just now lunch time went home to change 30% water, as i didnt change water for 10 days already

both fishes does not look stress or whatsoever. However i noticed my male aggi's tail was torn, and most probably the result done by the female.

i hope things will be ok...and many thanks to the both of u for the advise.

if its gonna be a successful spawn, just tell me if u interested to raise some 'tapajos' fries...kekekek

thanks

ron

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    nevermind then, just make sure the male has places to hide and doesnt stress out... if so, pls have him remove, or else it can be fatal at times

Feedback Score
    Hi All,

chihuuy! my tapajos had successfully hatched a school of little fries. From my observation, it took the eggs about 4 days to hatched those fries

they are really small, always surrounding the mother.

The male and otta is still in the same tank...i am not sure if i should remove them.

Now how & what should i do to help raise the little fries? they are really small (3mm in size).

its such a delight to see the female protecting her fries...thanks guys for your advise...chihuuy!

cheers

ron

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    easy easy boi, relax, let her handle it from here... u can starting feeding liquid fry food and later if possible daphina or brineshrimp

Feedback Score
    Good morning Simon,

how much liquid fry food to give?

Should i change water at this stage?

how long will the female be guarding the fries?

when can the couple breed again?

thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    how much liquid fry food to give?
    a few drop each day, read the instruction, dependent of the number of frys

Should i change water at this stage?
    nope, water chemistry shld be kept the same

how long will the female be guarding the fries?
    as long as she aint spawning again

when can the couple breed again?
    they will only breed if 1)no frys left (2)the mother decides to start all over again.. if she breeds again, she will consume all of her present frys

Feedback Score
    Congrats ronig. your now a proud apisto papa. don;t worry too much, the mom should do a pretty good job raising the fry if she's experienced. just keep water condtitions stable and good. Don't over feed cos tt will foul up your water faster. Just relax and enjoy.[]

Feedback Score
    i belief my pair is a 1st timer in raising fries...

so should i remove the male & otto? so as to allow the female to guard her new babies peacefully?

what say u?

thank

ron

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    leave them in and observe

Feedback Score
    just let them be i guess,if she does eat her fries and all then if you want to artificially raise and hatch the eggs next time round its up to you. But i guess your's should be ok. My agas red gold has had 4,5 spawns and until now i have never seen fry. But i wanna let nature do it's thing,so not very keen on taking out the male[]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    kubrich

whats the size of the tank?

Feedback Score
    Hi bros,

i just went home during lunch hour to check out the new young parents...

It seems like both male & female is taking care of the fries now...

i dont see what have been normally discussed as the male got 'bully' by the female.

The female seems to allow the male to roam around the outer permises of the 'cave'. However she tends to get a little panicky when the male gets to close...

i will be getting some liquid fry food for the babies later...

cheers!

ron

Feedback Score
    Hi all,

what & when is fries considered 'free swimming'?

i read they dont take liquid fry anymore when they are free swimming...what say u?

thanks

Feedback Score
    i thought they do take liquid fry WHEN they are free swimming,when they are wrigglers they consume the yolk from the egg sac. they are free swimming when u see them swimming around the water,they usually form a small cloud around the female.staying close to her.
    Simon,the tank is a 2ft tank,quite heavily planted. pH at 6.5.since she is still yellow on the 5th day,can i asume that she still has her brood?

Feedback Score
    Hi all,

here is an update...

when i got home last friday (2-3-2003). i noticed the fries were 'free swimming' already. they stick close to the mother everytime.

There were some naughty ones, who like to explore the tank alone.

However the mother will look out for such fry...catched it with her mouth and return it back to the school...cool eh

Many times a day the female will herd the fries to the sponge filter at the corner of the tank...for feeding i guess.

meanwhile the male although rarely allowed by the female to even come close to the fries, kept a constant look out for the "OTTO" whom i left in the tank. Poor otto, he got torn fins all over BTW, he is a good father too. He is not eating his own fries.

BTW, i did not intro any liquid fry food till today. I only feed hikari frozen daphnia 1/2 a cube, 2 times a day. And i think the fries are well surviving on that stuff. An estimation gives me around 40 to 50 fries.

and yes i change about 10% of the tank water yesterday. no visible loss of fries..phew!

cheers

ron

Feedback Score
    Congrats ronig! Really glad ure tapajos are doing well.I'm sure charles would be happy to hear tt ure fishies have spawned too...haha. My agas red gold also spawned last sunday,and finally manage to spot free swimming fry yesterday. I estimate only about 20+ to 30+ fry. I'm having a hard time trying to keep my mom from staring at the fry. Right now,i'm feeding them jbl nobil fluid and i put in a few drops for vitachem for cichlids,suppose to be some vitamin thing...hopefully it'll build up the fry's resistance. Both the male and female are doing a pretty gd job keeping the otto and 6 neons away...Finally after 6,7 months of trying...haha[]

Feedback Score
    ok guys....,

my female is eating the fries. The male is chasing her all over the place. her breeding colour comes & go...

now what should i do? (haiz)

ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast