Images
    Country
    Singapore

New 6ft Setup on Feb15, 2003

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My friends (CheeKin and Allen) and I started a 6ft planted tank in my office about 10 days ago.

Pls check out the picture in the following link.
    http://www.arofanatics.com/members/n...antedsetupwk1/

Some info about the tank:

Date Started: Feb 15, 2003
    Size: 6 x 2 x 2 ft
    Base Fertilizer: JBL
    Substrate: Lonestar
    Filter: 2 x Eheim 2028
    CO2: 5L cylinder, External Reactor and Solenoid Regulator (>5 BPS)
    UVC: Switch on 24 hours for first 4 days. Now switch on only 2 hours afterdark.
    Daily Fertilization: Nil for first 1 week. Now introduce daily Dupla24 at 1/4 dose and introduced TMG at 1/3 dosage (after water-change).
    Lighting: 3 x 150W MH for 6hrs during week1. Increasing to 7hrs this week.

Plants:
    H. difformis, E. bleheri, Blyxa auberti and japonica, L. breveri and arcuata, Java ferns, windelov ferns, ulvaceus, Limnophila aromatic, C. wendtii, E. bartrii (?? accordingly to Ah Hui at Teo), Cyperus helferi, E. madalengensis quadricostatus, Lobelia cardinalis, glosso, lucens, E. red-flame (?), austifolia (?), Christmas moss (backing).

Unknown: plant in the front-right and back-left.

Livestock (introduced on Feb20):
    1 x Helicoptor sucker fish (what’s the name?)
    6 x SAE

Let me have your comment

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Nicky

Nice set-up. I'm sure it will quality for a big competition once it's populated. Do update the pictures...I would definitely love to pop in again.

I'm particularly interested to know which lfs you purchased the tank from and how much it cost. I like the dark brown wooden cabinet. I've considered Juwel brand but it doesn't come in brown cabinet for 5 footers. It would go very well with my furniture. I'm planning on getting one like this after I've moved to my new home.

Appreciate the info.

mike

Feedback Score
    the helicopter sucker fish u are tokking about is actually
    Whiptail Catfish. LFS refer them as Helicopters.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nice work. Do update us when it has grown in a few months time.

What the heck is helicopter sucker fish?
    ... always look at the bright side of life

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    how come the light seems dim?

now to psycho my boss

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm guessing the light tubes are 5000K tubes which kinda yellowish. Probably why Simon is saying the lights are dim, yes?
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The tank seemed dim because of 2 reasons (I think)

The black-backing.

Also, the light was switch-off auto just before I want to take the picture. So it take awhile before it light back up again. And its DINNER TIME. So I took the picture right after the light came back up.

The bulbs used are 6500K Isawaki (spelling?) from Eye Lighting.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I guess you took the picture with flash light, a mistake I made in the past. Try without flash, the tank will look more natural and realistic, tank will look brighter and higher in contrast.

If you prefer a frank view from me, from the plant mix and the way they are placed, I believe you have not decided what plant you like to have in this tank. Your tank gives me a feeling of lush growth but with just lack of the much needed soul. This tank reminds me of a tank Aquatechnic used to have in their old premise, lusher and wilder than yours though. I never like any plant to reach the surface of the tank unless for specific reason. Someone called it jungle but I disagree, it is an excuse, jungle does not have that mix. And if it is a jungle, then, one should choose the right part of it to emulate that tell the owner's state of mind or what he like to express to the viewers.

Perhaps, you are already have in mind to make some adjustment, align the aquascape and probably remove some non-contributing plants.

Plants look healthy from the picture, keep it up!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Good comment FC. Yes, it's getting too bushy. Quite a lot of over-hanging plants will go this weekend or next. Not much has changed since the startup.

And also, thanks for the tips about switching off the flash. I will try it next time.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I know you have put alot of effort to it. Sorry if I am being too straight to the point. However, a very good start for a 6ft, well done!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi nicky

nice work

personally admired the glosso cos mine failed, i think probably bcos of the light( 4*36w for a 4ft tank at 1.5ft height i presume is still not enough??)

btw if you are doing some trimmings, pls dont forget about me ok!!! especially if you have foreground plants ok

thanks

chan

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey FC, I REALLY appreciate what you have commented. I personally think something needs to be done to get the mix of plant better. I fell into the trap of getting alot of plants but I think the mix needs to be fixed, soon.

Actually I was looking for help (just did not mention only..[] ) Got any tips to share with me. I got lots of L brevipes and arcuata at home. What do you think if I replace those bush on the left? How about those in front-right? How and what to replace them?

FC and all, again what I look for is ways of improving it. I got quite a few people who happen to be in my company saying the tank is nice. But I think they know next to nothing about aquascaping.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Nicky, how do u iron out the maintenance schedule? Does the 3 of u have total control of the tank? Do the 3 of u provide the funds 2 maintain the tank monthly or the office chip in? Does your office colleague chip in for the tank too?
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nicky, how do u iron out the maintenance schedule? Does the 3 of u have total control of the tank? Do the 3 of u provide the funds 2 maintain the tank monthly or the office chip in? Does your office colleague chip in for the tank too?

-------------

I do the maintenance all by myself (CK does not work in the same company and Allen is always too busy with something else). Takes about 1 hour a week unless I do any major cutting and replanting. I usually do it on Friday night before I hit home. I bought all the tools to help me so I do not really break my back during maintenance. I have (more or less) total control of the tank and my boss pays for everything less labor (that's me!, I only receive regular salary ) Everyday I add 4 to 5x1.5litres of cold-water into the tank. The office-helper helps me to get the cold-water in place. The feeding was done when I need to de-stress (I bought the auto-feeder too) Daily fert was added before I start work in the morning. When I go on vacation, Allen helps me with the daily fert and adding of water.

Feedback Score
    Hello Nicky,

nice setup.....like the lush feel of the tank. May I know how much is the 6ft tank, 6ft lights and custom cabinets? Thinking of 'psychoing' my office to buy one. In the office aircon so cold, can grow nice plants plus no need chiller. hee hee hee.

hatchet

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    "Got any tips to share with me. I got lots of L brevipes and arcuata at home."
    Nicky, I am not good in aquascaping, I just lack that "quotient", I am still trying. However, before anyone can offer any opinion, you may need to first ponder what "theme" do you want for your tank.

Just to share with you on my present project. I am presently into L. Brevipes "theme" where I will use them to cover about 50% of my tank. I am using the plant to create a dense wave at 3/4 height of the tank that "overflow" down on a ring of Japonica that surround the Brevipes. The only other plants are some hair grass running along the front of the tank and I have 1 already large A.Ulvaceus at back corner to camouflage the filter pipes.

I would like the aquascape to have 2 faces depending on how/when one look at it. It should for the first moment overwelm with power (by the lush dense brevipes) and then, after viewer looked long enough and settled down mentally, provide a serene feel by the fishes dancing at ease on the wave of charming brevipes (with the top leafs presented in pinkish orange and bottom green leafs completely hide under them).

It is not easy, I started it in Nov 02 and had since re-do 3 times, my last time was last Saturday. I made a mistake by pruning the brevipes too early and too often, thus weakening them. So, this time, I re-plant using the plants' tops and deep in the substrate. I will do the 1st pruning when the plant reach the water surface which would be about 5~6 weeks later. I have to prune in total about 3~5 times before the "theme" form shape, so, you can imagine it is going to be a long journey. However, I have alot of faith on these Brevipes, I will see to it that I succeed.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    FC, your description of your tank is enuff to make me drool... post a picture of what you got ok?