Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Correct way of laying base fert

Feedback Score

Correct way of laying base fert

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Need advice from experts here again...can someone share with me the correct or most appropreiate way of laying the base fert? Or is there any web sites that I could read up on this issue? Thans.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Pour the base fertliser in. Use a ruler and spread evenly. Done [:]
    ... always look at the bright side of life

I think it's the gravel that you should worry more. You should have at least 2 finger spacing of gravel covering your base fert. Don't think you have to mix base fert with gravel before laying it down. Some places i go to, the bottom layer is pure base fert.

Don't let the gravel be too thick. Or else only plants with deep long roots will grow well, shallow rooted plants may not do that well, like glosso, roots are short.
    Visit Spilopterus' Tank
    Fish of Fury

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 2/28/2003 10:26:22 AM

I think it's the gravel that you should worry more. You should have at least 2 finger spacing of gravel covering your base fert. Don't think you have to mix base fert with gravel before laying it down. Some places i go to, the bottom layer is pure base fert.

Don't let the gravel be too thick. Or else only plants with deep long roots will grow well, shallow rooted plants may not do that well, like glosso, roots are short.
    ----------------

With that in mind, people usually slope the base fert, as in, front sloping upwards topwards the back, so foreground plants like glosso who have short roots can reach the base fert, and plants with longer roots, usuall the bigger sized ones which occupy the mid and back ground, will be able to reach the base fert. Sloping the base fert helps with aquacaping, can be creative here...like using wood or arcylic to create hills, and such..and also the "2 finger rule" is to prevent base fert from leeching into the water column...isn't that right?
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Thanks to all for the quick tips. One last thing on aquascaping to clarify: When sloping, do I need to first pour in a layer of gravel at the back of the tank so that the layer of base fert across the tank will be uniform through out and at the time, achieved the sloping effect, OR, should I just have a thcicker layer of base fert at the back?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    you can lay the base fertilizer thicker at the back of the tank. mostly likely you will plant taller and bigger plants.

just a note on sloping. over time, the slope will level itself due to rescaping and replanting. you'll need some rocks or drift woods or other heavy stuff to keep your substrate's profile.
    thomas liew