Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Should i remove my dwarf puffer soon?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Should i remove my dwarf puffer soon?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I got a dwarf puffer to combat my snail problem abt a week ago - Siphoning out snails got a bit too tiring. The snail population has since dwindled though i still see a couple deep in my riccia (i'll need to trim that soon).

Should i remove the puffer and house it separately? I'm beginning to see a few nipped fins and i'm worried that it would go for my malayan shrimps once it gets too hungry.

FYI, i have the following in my 2ft tank:

balloon ram
    rocket-tail pencilfish
    golden pencilfish
    white clouds
    otos
    guppies
    malayan shrimps
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Do you have any plans to housed the guy somewhere? Please don't throw him/her away..... you should remove the puffer but juz make sure it has a new proper home..... worst case pass it to someone who has a snail problem or return it to the lfs.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm intending to house it in one of my old plastic tanks (3.5l, housed my betta sometime back) with just an airstone (no filter). My only concern would be food source - I'll be in trouble if i cant get it to adapt to freeze dried bloodworms (cant keep frozen 1s cos my mum dun like them in our fridge).
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Are we talking about the small green-eye puffer? I have 2 in my 4ft and I don't have any tail-nipping problem. One of the puffer only eat blood-worm (and that fellow is damn fat) and another is perpetually looking intensely at plants and driftwood, looking for snails. This latter fellow is not as fat.

I too have rams in my tank. The only injury they have on their body comes from the fight they engaged among themselves. And serve them right.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I had a puffer in my 3.5ft tank sometie back.... when the snail supply depleted, the puffer went for any fish he could pounce on. Did not worried too much as no fatalities. Later, the puffer dissapeared, probably to puffer heaven.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    i have 2 puffer in my 4 ft tanks. no problems of fin nipping even on tempting congo tetras too...[]

think usually it's fine lar...
    ----------------------------

do not do to others what you will not want done to you!

be kind! =)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Some pufferare ok....... but once they start nipping, that's where the problem comes. Juz keep an eye on the fella, some tend to be more aggresive....
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/1/2003 10:32:31 PM

I'm intending to house it in one of my old plastic tanks (3.5l, housed my betta sometime back) with just an airstone (no filter). My only concern would be food source - I'll be in trouble if i cant get it to adapt to freeze dried bloodworms (cant keep frozen 1s cos my mum dun like them in our fridge).

----------------
    bro,
    if you intend to give it away, I'd be willing to take over! My 2 feet is infested with snails, and i mean infested!!! by the way i'm living in the east, i won,t mindpicking it up from you if staying in east side []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/2/2003 5:45:06 PM

bro,
    if you intend to give it away, I'd be willing to take over! My 2 feet is infested with snails, and i mean infested!!! by the way i'm living in the east, i won,t mindpicking it up from you if staying in east side []
    ----------------
    You may wanna get / borrow a puffer from other forumers if u wanna start tackling ur snail infestation asap (how bad is it anyway?). I found a number of snails when i retied my riccia this afternoon and i'm going to leave the little nipper in there for a tad longer (1week?). After that, i hope to coax it to eat freeze-dried bloodworms when i house it separately.
    ThEoDoRe