Country
    Singapore

Cory tank got virus.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi bros & sis,

Please help me . Last friday I bought 9 pieces of sunset platies & due to my laziness, I put them into my 44" main tank without quarantine. On sat I was only left 5 pieces of platies & discovered 4 palties went missing, I did a visual check but could not find the bodies. Then over the past few days I have been losing my cories pieces by pieces due to this virus attack.

The syptoms of the virus are white spots on fins/tail & white patches on mouth area of platies, 2 cories has tail rot, 3 cories has the barbels (mouth) area turned white before death, 2 cories has red eyes & grill & 3 aspidoras turned colorless before death.

May I know what should I do in order to stop the virus from spreading? I have already set-up a hospital tank for the remaining 3 platies & 1 cories, added methane blue, melafix & salt to the main tank. Currently I left 45 cories, 1 aspidoras, 1 ranchu, 2 small suckerfish & 2 neon tetras in my main tank. Main filter is 2026 & sub-filter is 2 ft OHF.

Thanks for the advice in advance.
    Last edited by celticfish; 8th Apr 2009 at 23:04. Reason: SMS lingo

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Cory tank got virus.

A sad week for me....

Lost 30 plus cories & fishes over this virus outbreak. Only able to prevent the white spots but the fin/tail/mouth virus rot still remain in the main tank. Did a tank overhaul on sunday with 90% WC, warm water to wash the filters & DW/plants, boiling water to sterilize the main tank but still got 3 cories & 2 platies got infected on monday & today.

I have also added melafix, methane blue & aquarium salt but it seems that it was not able to suppress this virus.

The syptom now on the fishes are initial sight rotting on the fins/tails/mouth, then eventually the fins/tail got eaten up by the bacterial then the fish died. I have removed the infected fishes to a hospital tank but every new day new fishes will get the virus.

A bit dishearted & helpless on how to stop the virus from spreading to the healthy fishes

Really appreciate advice on what to do to stop the virus from spreading to the not infected fishes?

Thank you in advance.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hey bro,

Sad to hear that.. a measure you can take is to isolate the fishes individually in clean aged water treated with melafix. This is because some of the seemingly healthy fishes might be going through the incubation period, hence diseased fish might not be identified till its too late (ie symptoms start showing), so containment will help.

good luck!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ingwe View Post
    Hey bro,

Sad to hear that.. a measure you can take is to isolate the fishes individually in clean aged water treated with melafix. This is because some of the seemingly healthy fishes might be going through the incubation period, hence diseased fish might not be identified till its too late (ie symptoms start showing), so containment will help.

good luck!
    Hi bro Ingwe,

Thanks for your advice.

Isolate & containment of the fishes individually seems to post a diificulty for me. I do not have the space & tank for 30 over fishes except for the main tank.

I have set up a 1 ft hospital tank for the infected fishes & added melafix, methane blue & moderate aquarium salt into both of the tank. Hopefully the virus will stop spreading.